Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Ride with GPS navigation on iphone

Hi all, I'm trying to use Ride with GPS on my iphone mounted out front for navigation. I want to do this without keeping the screen on constantly to save battery use. Is there any way of having the app/phone set so the screen dims but comes to life when a navigation prompt is shown? Currently my screen just dims after a while and then locks so I can't easily see any navigation. Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

RWGPSKevin | 2 years ago
3 likes

Hey Nick,

Full disclosure, I work at Ride with GPS. Saw this comment and wanted to chime in, while a "dimming" feature isn't technically available, with Handlebar mode you can let your phone go to sleep, and our app will still speak the audio cues to you, in addition to flashing an alert above your lock screen. On Android it's great, we get to flash the entire map + cue above the lock screen. On iOS, Apple unfortunately does not allow us to do this and we can only produce a visual cue+info without the map. This recent tech tip video gives you a peak at setting this up and what it looks like on your phone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfW0jRnGSt8&list=PLh4UEKmlT6_EUKYMjVddaD...

Nick B replied to RWGPSKevin | 2 years ago
1 like

Thanks Kevin, that's really helpful, I'll give it a go.

Nick

0 likes

Kevin, just tried to do this and Handlebar Mode doesn't appear in my Settings (iphone X), is it only available to premium users perhaps?

Nick

RWGPSKevin replied to Nick B | 2 years ago
1 like

iOS doesn't actually have the Handelbar mode setting. On your phone, go into Settings-->Navigation and make sure Visual Alerts are turned on, and you should get the visual cues both when your phone is open, and those ribbon notifications on top of your lock screen. I might also note that the notifications on top of your lock screen, if you force touch them they will expand, and there's an option to replay the audio of the cue again.

0 likes

thanks again, will try that

Nick

Dnnnnnn | 2 years ago
0 likes

I've never had an Apple phone but OSM on Android (OSMAnd) can turn the screen on and off for turns, and every Android phone I've had has had the option to turn off the lock.

OSM also uses downloaded maps, so you can put the phone in flight mode to preserve the battery still further. Just upload your GPX file to it. It does voice prompts too, and can track your ride in a file you can upload to Strava later (in case you don't want have that running on your phone too).

But... I'm not sure it works so well on Apple devices though - I've read in the past that it didn't. Still, it's a free download with 7 free map download (get the whole-country one) so might be worth a try.

Secret_squirrel | 2 years ago
0 likes

I think you're stuck with this.  I've had the same issue with both Strava and Map my Ride - though rarely use either for this purpose.   My best solution for this has been to use Google Navigation and rely on the voice prompts.  Not 100% sucessful but does the job.

TBH you probably need a GPS Cycle computer with Navigation as it fixes both the navigation and battery life issues..  Bryton get good reviews as a budget options in the £100 range.  Lezyne's a little bit more but less than Garmin/Wahoo's.   Ebay a second hand one for best value.   Im a Lezyne fan for cost/capabilities but it can be clunky.

Have a look at seller Tri-Sport Resort on Ebay if you are in the UK.  Thats CRC/Wiggles returns sale.  Got my last Mega XL GPS Lezyne from there for < £100 and it was brand new.

Nick B replied to Secret_squirrel | 2 years ago
0 likes

Thanks, that's really helpful. I had my eyes on a Wahoo Roam - but they are £££ so I'll look at the Bryton idea. Good to know about Tri-Sport Resort.

Latest Comments