Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Ride London and TDF cancelled?

Last time I asked about Velo Birmingham it got called off within a couple of days, at my expense. Although I don't have a ride London slot this year I have picked up a charity spot once before. Though I don't want sporting events cancelled the uncertainty is killing me. I could ride 100miles tomorrow, but I generally only do this once or twice a year. So knowing would help me plan a training schedule. At the moment I am pootling around the airport at the weekend on one of my classic old routes under 2h.

With Wimbledon now gone the TDF is next in the firing line. I don't see how they can stop fans coming out unless France is still in lockdown. It would hurt finances but there is always next year, Christian is over egging the pudding, all sports are getting hit.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

troakley59 | 3 years ago
0 likes

To be blunt, I'll be astonished if there's any mass events this summer. My guess - 1st September.

Judge dreadful | 3 years ago
1 like

The uncertainty of this whole debacle is the only constant. Hugh Brasher ( the great white chief of the PRLS people ) has said he hopes the Ride London will happen. I admire his optimism, but I don't share it. At the time of posting this, it's still on.

Organon replied to Judge dreadful | 3 years ago
0 likes

Or maybe they know it will be off, but are dithering over what refund to give. [Can't just fob people off with a 'sorry' like Velo Brum.]

EddyBerckx | 3 years ago
1 like

I'd be amazed if RideLondon went on. While things (hopefully) should've calmed down a bit by then these things need an awful lot of planning ahead and if there's any doubt, the sensible thing would be to stop wasting money and cancel early.

Also until there's vaccine and people have access to it there's a decent chance that there will be waves of people getting the corona virus - nobody is sure at present if people can get it twice or not.

Latest Comments