Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Saddle for late 80s rebuild

I'm in the middle of rebuilding the light tourer I bought new in the summer of 1988. The frame is at the painter, the wheels are being built by my LBS, I've chosen new pedals and toe clips, etc. It's not going to be original (10 speed cassette going in) but not totally modern (friction shifting for example).

I need to find a saddle that's not a million miles off visually. The riding position is less upright than might be expected as the frame has always been in the large side for me, and I probably like a bit more squish for my flabby arse than a proper roadie. But it still needs to look like a fast bike.

Could go for a Spa Cycles leather one, as the bike was a bit tourer-ish but worried that I'll never get through the soreness if breaking in. On the weighty side too.

Could also go for a brown Charge Spoon - I use a similar Madison Flux on another bike and it's ok for comfort - but it still looks a bit too modern.

I had a vague pointer to a Selle San Marco Rolls but the customer reviews are quite varied.

So can anyone recommend a comfy retro looking saddle up to about £50?

Thanks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

18 comments

TheBillder | 3 years ago
0 likes

A belated thank you to all who contributed to this discussion. In the end Santa went for the Regal. The bike it's going on has been at the painters for over a month so I'm yet to put them together.

Eventually I got so keen to try the saddle that it has gone onto my winter bike, displacing the Madison Flux (a Charge Spoon derivative). So far (3 rides) I'm still getting used to it - much more curved side to side than the Flux. Not yet super comfy but does look amazing, even though the bike is wrong for it.

At some point when the weather is milder I'll be able to try it with various shorts instead of the Galibier Mistral bib tights that are essential at the moment, and then perhaps I'll find the perfect combination. If not,. Flite will be on the birthday list.

Thanks again all.

EM69 | 3 years ago
0 likes

San Marco Rolls. Love the Regal too, beautiful saddle but I believe these were more early 90s than 80s.

Sjl | 3 years ago
0 likes

Another vote for Rolls which are supremely comfortable and very much in period, Flite titanium is also very good but a bit later, 90's. 

EddyBerckx | 3 years ago
0 likes

Is Brooks too retro?

andystow replied to EddyBerckx | 3 years ago
0 likes

I was going to suggest a Cambium, but he said £50.

TheBillder replied to andystow | 3 years ago
2 likes

Brooks leather saddles are perhaps a little older than I want, and definitely over budget. I'd go for a Spa if I changed my mind on having that look as cheaper and my backside would just have to harden up...

I've lusted after a Cambium for a while for other bikes. I see now that some are on offer at £75 so only 50% over budget, obv nothing when it comes to bike spending. So I'll think some more!

Shades replied to andystow | 3 years ago
2 likes

Good 2nd hand market for Brooks saddles on eBay; could well find something within budget

ChasP | 3 years ago
0 likes

I've got a Charge Bucket on a retro build, cheap, comfy and looks the part.

TheBillder replied to ChasP | 3 years ago
0 likes

Ah, the inevitability of just one wafer-thin extra on any short list. I've seen good things about Buckets but nowhere to actually buy one. I think like most of the good Charge stuff, it's all over except for some e-bikes.

But thanks for contributing.

TheBillder | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks everyone - plenty there for a short list.

I'm going to take a while to make up my mind, and as ever, what fits my posterior may not be quite the same as everyone else's so whatever I go with first might end up on ebay (with a bunch of other saddles I really need to shift).

So far I am taken with the Flite (I know it's slightly later than the bike but exactly the sort of saddle that might have been fitted as an upgrade) but a little worried that it might be too narrow. Good price at Condor, aluminium rails bring it under £50. Perhaps a little plain.

The Planet X Gran Sport was a surprise - it's really cheap and looks nice, so I might take a punt. And the Regal does indeed look the business, I just need to decide if it's the right look.

Of the others, the Rolls is a bit over budget, and I did want to buy new and shiny.

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate that you took the time.

Welsh boy replied to TheBillder | 3 years ago
0 likes

For what it's worth, I have used dozens of saddles and found the Flyte titanium to be the most comfortable sadle I have used by far.

TheBillder replied to Welsh boy | 3 years ago
0 likes

I've seen a few people saying that. I just hope the cheaper Al railed one is just heavier and not stiff. I might just go for it first as the deal I've seen won't last forever. Even at full price the Planet X is less than I've saved on cake while my club rides have been off so I can afford that later if the Flite isn't for me.

Decision made.

lesterama | 3 years ago
0 likes

Rolls or Regal, very comfy for me. New or used. A Regal with copper rails and rivets looks the business.

Selle Italia Turbo, Concor Profil and Cinelli Volare SLX are also decent and available used. Which one is comfy for you will depend on personal preference.

The Flite is early '90s and not period-correct. Plus, some people find it extremely uncomfortable.

Secret_squirrel | 3 years ago
0 likes

+ 1m for the Rolls one of the comfiest & classiest saddles I have ever owned - regularly used it without padded shorts.

-1m for the Flite.  Like sitting on a razor blade for my butt.

CyclingInGawler | 3 years ago
0 likes

I put a San Marco Rolls on my early 80's Orbit Gold Medal when it was updated in 2003. I haven't used it anything like as much as I should have, which is probably why that saddle is still in good condition, but it looks the part and I've always found it to be very comfortable.

bobbinogs | 3 years ago
0 likes

If you want authentic and comfortable then it might be worth looking at a Selle San Marco Regal Girardi. They do crop up on fleabay and come in different colours. I used one for many miles but eventually swapped for a simple Charge Spoon as they look similar and cut a chunk off the weight.

ktache | 3 years ago
0 likes

Selle Italia do the early 90s flite Ti, 1990 so a tad late, but still of the era.

It is still a VERY comfy saddle.

They have added a carbon nose, but the shape is exactly the same.

I have seen it in tan.

Latest Comments