Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Saddle without nose ?

Hello!

In spring i bought myself a new Fabric Line-S line-up saddle.
And i`m pretty happy with it`s cutout and overall width. It helps me to sit on my very sit bones with no soft tissue involved.

But i try to spend more time in aero postition and here, regardless of this saddle being overall short and soft-> i feel its nose pushing my pelvis. I dont like this sensation, though i dont feel any numbness or pain, its just this uncomfy pressure. And after i sit at anything else after bike - i steel feel my pelvis soft tissues were affected and "massaged" by that nose and i dont feel its healthy.

Can you guys advice similar saddle, but which has more soft nose.
I would like to buy something close to thriathlon - they have completely cut nose, but as i understand i`m not able to install such a saddle to a group-ride solo bike and enter a contest\race, am i right ?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

17 comments

David9694 | 3 years ago
4 likes

Is no-one going to ask "how does it smell?"

mdavidford replied to David9694 | 3 years ago
1 like

David9694 wrote:

Is no-one going to ask "how does it smell?"

laugh

mtbtomo | 3 years ago
0 likes

+1 for Bontrager Aeolus. Was the saddle I've been riding with a (unbeknown until recently) broken pelvis, a real game changer comfort wise. I too have have recently bought a Fabric Line S, and it does have a similar profile front to rear, but the nose is a bit pointier.

Capablanca replied to mtbtomo | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thank you!
so Aeolus is somewhat close to Line-S in terms of softness?

Also, which widh you recommend - 145 or 155?
Line-S is 155 and it is not bended side-to-side in width, but Aeolus states to be curved when you look at saddle up-front, so maybe stickibg to 155 is a best.
My sitbones are 115mm.

What about you in all these terms?

mtbtomo replied to Capablanca | 3 years ago
0 likes

I bought the Aeolus in 155 wide first - to try and get some sit bone comfort. (As I said, I actually had an undiagnosed fracture). It didn't occur to me when I bought it that the Aeolus was particularly rounded side to side - I do prefer flatter saddles (favourite it Fabric Scoop Flat). I've also got a Bontrager Montrose on another bike which is a more usual 143(?) wide and that's fine but not as comfy. So if the Aeolus is a rounded profile, it probably feels flat enough because i likely don't need the full width?

I bought the fabric line s in 155 for another bike after I'd bought the Aeolus. It was cheaper than the Aeolus and Aeolus's seemed to be out of stock in 155 at that time.

I use Fabric Scoop Flat, Prime Race Ti (which are around 140(ish) width) and also BBB Phalanx saddle (165 wide) currently on other bikes.

TheBillder | 3 years ago
0 likes

ISMs turn up on eBay frequently, fetching £30-40 or so - and also copies for about £12 (not fakes as such, but certainly flattering through imitation). Might be another way to try the concept. If you do try the, er, homages, please let us know how you get on.

The reviews of the Bontrager Aeolus are very positive and as IanEdward says, that's another viable cheaper option.

Capablanca replied to TheBillder | 3 years ago
0 likes

thank you very much ! i will dive into those variants

IanEdward | 3 years ago
0 likes

A Bontrager Aeolus might be the cheapest place to start, a great wee saddle at £45 and virtually 'noseless' with a large central cut-out.

Functionally I'm not even sure if the ISM saddles are really much different. 

You can demo ISM from Upgrade bikes, you pay for the saddle but then have 30 days to test it. I was reassured when I received my demo saddle as it was a bit mucky, they obviously expect the demo saddles to get used properly!

As it is, the Aeolus solved my issue at 1/4 of the price of an ISM (and for less weight...) so I sent the ISM back un-tried.

Capablanca replied to IanEdward | 3 years ago
0 likes

The second comment mentionin Aeolus! Nice.
It may be a good fit for me, but cant tell without try.

What was your saddle issue exactly btw ?
Can you compare it`s padding softness with anything else?
If you tried prologo dimension (standart) for example, for me it is too firm, as well as all the Fizik line-up -> they are equally firm no matter the curveness\flatness of model

IanEdward replied to Capablanca | 3 years ago
0 likes

Actually sorry, I was being a bit dishonest. My actual issue was a pain behind the scrotum which I now believe was caused by a tight hip flexor impinging upon the genito-femoral nerve. This has nothing to do with saddle choice as it actually comes around the side and front of the hip and not underneath.

HOWEVER I did immediately notice the reduction in pressure where the nose of the saddle would have been when using the Aeolus, and this actually has relieved a lot of stress in my back as I am no longer 'arching' my back to take pressure off my perineum. So in general I am more comfortable on the bike.

So, the Aeolus wasn't actually the solution to my personal problem, but it definitely DID take pressure away from the perineum and is more comfortable because of it.

I can't compare padding softness unfortunately, I use good bibshorts (Rapha, Morvelo, Endura, Castelli) and typically quite hard saddles. I can't say I've noticed if the Aeolus is softer or harder than any other.

Capablanca replied to IanEdward | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thank you for the info!

What are your sitbones btw? Did you take 145 or 155 Aeolus?

Wish you the best health! Hope you will never struggle of any pain bike or not-bike related, all the best to you!

roadrunner23 | 3 years ago
0 likes

ISM saddle sounds like the way to go. I've got one and it works well but did take a bit of fiddling about to get the right position. From memory I think I needed to lower the saddle by about 4mm. 

Capablanca replied to roadrunner23 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thank you for answer!
Which model exactly do u have?
Are you able to bend towards stem and position yourself at the saddle`s tip without feeling any pressure to pelvis soft tissue?

OnYerBike | 3 years ago
0 likes

As far as I can tell, the UCI regulations don't require saddles to have a "nose" as such provided the overall dimensions and position are within the regulations. ISM (who make noseless saddles) claim most of their models are permitted: https://ismseat.com/help/frequently-asked-questions/#C12

Outside of races, I don't think anyone cares what your saddle is. Unlike e.g. TT-bars I can't see why your choice of saddle would matter to others in a group.

Capablanca replied to OnYerBike | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thank you very much for this info!

Compact Corned Beef | 3 years ago
0 likes

You've not mentioned whether you've played with saddle tilt and fore/aft adjustment yet, so that would be a good place to start - lots of anecodotes about a few degrees here and there transforming a ride knocking about. One of my bikes came with a fizik Aliante, and that was a bugger to get right for me.

I can't recall seeing a saddle being marketed as having a particularly soft nose, so can't help you there.

I'd be hugely surpised if any event told you to hop it 'cos you had a triathlon saddle. Triathlon bars, yes (unless you're doing tris or TTs obviously) but not a saddle.

Capablanca replied to Compact Corned Beef | 3 years ago
0 likes

Yes, i`ve been and still am experimenting with saddle tilt and fore\aft, but not quite satisfied with sensations.

Thank you for the info, so i will try to stick to thriathlon saddle and will not afraid to be disqualified!

Latest Comments