Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Seatstay Bow/Bulge

Hi guys , first time here and new to road bikes, hope all are doing well.

I was hoping someone can advise on something I have noticed on a road bike I purchased recently, it is a second hand one.

I have noticed left side of seat stay arm to have a bulge and wasnt sure if this was by design or fault. There are no other marks and ride is as good as I will expect.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

henryb | 3 years ago
3 likes

I think it's intentional. If you look at this image:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/_upload/360/2019/Contend-SL-1-Disc/17_Contend-SL-1-Disc.jpg

...which the URL suggests is a similar bike to yours, you can clearly see that the left seatstay is curved to avoid clashing with the disc brakes 

hawkinspeter replied to henryb | 3 years ago
0 likes

That does make more sense - it looks the same to me. (Still think it looks odd though)

henryb replied to hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
2 likes

It does look odd. Giant should have put a decal running down the seatstay with the message "YES, REALLY - THIS SEATSTAY IS MEANT TO BE THIS SHAPE"

ThePalmist replied to henryb | 3 years ago
1 like

Lol yes would make novices like me, LBS confirms our conclusion.

ThePalmist replied to henryb | 3 years ago
0 likes

You are right looks very similar and I am relieved. Thank you

ThePalmist | 3 years ago
0 likes

Please see photo

hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
0 likes

Difficult to say without knowing which bike or a picture of it.

ThePalmist replied to hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
0 likes

thanks, photo added. 

It is a Giant Contend SL2 Disc

hawkinspeter replied to ThePalmist | 3 years ago
0 likes

That doesn't look right to me.

I'm curious as to how it got put out of shape like that without also damaging the paintwork and/or other parts of the frame. Could it have been a manufacturing defect and Quality Control let it pass because the rest of it was okay?

Some bikes do have curvy seat stays, but they usually bend the other way (for aerodynamics I think) and they'd usually be symmetrical.

(I tried to find a rear view picture of the same model to compare, but couldn't find one)

ThePalmist replied to hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
0 likes

thanks, my friend has the exact same model, I will ask for a photo. To be honest I didnt notice it when collecting and there is no mark whatsoever on the paintwork. I will get a local bike shop's view also before pursuing refund. I really do like the bike and ride is great. Everything is also in great condition.

hawkinspeter replied to ThePalmist | 3 years ago
0 likes

In my non-expert opinion it looks rideable - the rear wheel is straight and central and you'd notice if the disc brake was rubbing. There's not usually a lot of force going through the seat stays (which is why they're so skinny) though you'd certainly notice the wheel moving laterally if one was to crack/break.

Latest Comments