Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Shimano Di2 gear display

Hi,

Up to Tiagra, you can get the shifters with the little red gear indicators in them, but not at 105 or above.

However, I seem to recall seeing something saying that if you are using Di2, you can somehow display the gears you're in on a Garmin or other head unit.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, please?

Thanks in advance...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

huntswheelers | 3 years ago
0 likes

Bryton GPS units have display capabilities... For di2 wrap & eps..... Underrated units , well in the narrow minded UK that is 😉

headingley | 3 years ago
1 like

As long as you have the Di2 bluetooth component fitted you can view you gears (and battery level etc) on your Garmin. The display is an easy to see graphic. I can say that Di2 is great  - but   it will be an expensive option just to view your gears - looking down is a lot cheaper !

Liam Cahill | 3 years ago
1 like

Yep. You need the e-Tube Di2 Unit and a compatible headunit.

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Shimano/E-tube-Di2-Wireless-Unit-2-Port...

Setup can be a bit tricky as the Shimano e-Tube phone app loves timing out mid-update and killing the system. It's one that I'd take to the bike shop, buy the unit from them, get them to set it up and show you how to operate it.

Pilot Pete replied to Liam Cahill | 3 years ago
1 like

The e-tube software is free. I run it on a laptop and plug it in via the di2 charger to my junction A.

Setup this way is foolproof and simple. Alterations, firmware updates (did one last night and charged my di2 battery were straightforward and quick. I don't bother trying to do that lot via the app on iPad or iPhone wirelessly as it is more clunky.

If you already have a Garmin you will be familiar with setting up data fields on various screens. All you do is touch and hold the field and it will open the menu to choose what you want to display. With the Bluetooth sender unit in your di2 circuit somewhere you will be able to select di2 fields including 'rear gear', which I have displayed at the top of my 'home' page - the one that I have displayed most of the time on a ride. Like this;

Pilot Pete replied to Pilot Pete | 3 years ago
2 likes

Another bonus of fitting the Bluetooth sender is that you can program your di2 'hidden buttons' to scroll the pages of your Garmin, which I really like.

PP

Liam Cahill replied to Pilot Pete | 3 years ago
0 likes

I'm on a Mac and really cba to partition just for Shimano. Luckily I have a friend with a laptop dedicated to the Shimano software

Cannoli replied to Liam Cahill | 3 years ago
0 likes

I have a Mac as well and run a Windows VM with the eTube app (using VMware Fusion but Virtual Box will also work and it's free). I used it to recover a "bricked" Di2 system that failed during an upgrade via Bluetooth over the iPhone app.

As stated, once you have it setup, it's VERY easy to configure. In fact, as soon as you connect your Di2 to the Garmin via ANT+ (or Bluetooth, but don't recommend this), you can configure the buttons from the Garmin. Each button has three functions; short press, double press, and long press. I have it setup for: Short press left side, Page Up, Short press right side, Page down. Double press left side, Lap screen (my main screen), Double press right side, Elevation profile. Long press left side, Group track, I don't remember what the long press is set for on the right side... [cheeky]

fukawitribe | 3 years ago
0 likes

Apparently Garmin, Lezyne, Wahoo, Pioneer (if they're still producing head-units), Sigma, and Magellan support E-tube stuff, more here

https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/information/news/di2-integration--the-wor...

Garmin compatibility

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=qBnD0bXiLT7g6qMyExVRc9

Wahoo
https://wahoofitness.yonyx.com/y/conversation/?id=08633f81-53dd-11e8-8f6...

LastBoyScout replied to fukawitribe | 3 years ago
0 likes

Brilliant - thanks.

Latest Comments