Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Shimano Ultegra Cassette Issue

I have Ultegra WH6800 rear wheel and just bought a new Ultegra 11 speed cassette CS-R8000 for it. When I put the cassette on, the smallest cog (11 tooth) goes on, but doesn’t sit down all the way on the free-hub body, so the lock-ring is not fully engaged (I can tighten it up, but only about 50% of the threads are used). the smallest ring sits about 2 mm higher than if it was snugged right down, which means that only about half of it is engaged on the Freehub splines. It’s definitely correctly assembled, no dirt etc or obstructions at base of the splines. No spacer inadvertently fitted

What is going on – should it always sit like this?

I wondered if it was a 10 speed freehub, but I’m pretty sure those Ultegra wheels only come in 11 speed configuration (they are 2 years old). Freehub does not have a part number stamped on it to check

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

Myopic | 3 years ago
0 likes

Definitely no 10 speed spacer there.  Decided it must just overlap a bit as I tightened it up and it fits fine on the bike, all gears work, no issues with frame etc, so I guess it just does not snug down as far as I thought it would/should

kevvjj | 3 years ago
1 like

I have the WH6800 wheelset. Definitely 11 speed.

You haven't said if you were using a 10 speed cassette before. If so you need to remove the spacer next to the spokes.

If you were using an 11 speed cassete you can test if everything is ok by installing and running through the shifting. It should work almost flawlessly if it has the same cassette width/spacing etc. If the shifting is all over the place then something is installed incorrectly. I would check that the 11 tooth sprocket is installed correclty as it is easy to get this wrong.

VeloUSA | 3 years ago
1 like

Did you remove the spacer between the largest cog and spokes?

Latest Comments