Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Shoe advice please

Hello, hoping people may have some advice on shoes. I’ve had a few over the years and sizing can be hit or miss as I am sure you are all aware!
Currently my best fitting shoes are Shimano r171 in 45E (wide). Struggling to find a newer equivalent in that size for reasonable money as I think they have restricted the offering on wide/E fit.
I’m not really keen on spending more than I need to but would really like carbon soles, boa/atop dials that allow for micro adjustment, and generally a clean looking shoe.
The others I have just now are:
Fizik r5 in 46 - great looking but a bit too long, sole has a bit too much flex for me.
Gaerne Tornado MTB in 45 - awesome shoe but tiny wee bit tight on longer rides. Have this for my mtb pedal bikes.
Bont riot mtb in 46 - solid but a bit loose.

I was looking at Luck genius shoes as they have a pair on special for around €100.
Also looking at a brand I’ve never heard of Red cycling products PRO road carbon. Found them for about £100.
Some sites have the Giro Sentrie Techlace for around £90 but thinking Giro’s are usually very narrow and these may be a bit vented for use in Scotland.
Also looking at the Ekoi Strada as they regularly have them on for a good price (have a pair on the way as of a few minutes ago).
Generally speaking I don’t think I’ve got really wide feet but I know that some manufacturers make them pretty slim. Collect adidas originals trainers and I’m a UK 10 all day long.
I know going into a shop is the best way to find out but currently not able to for obvious reasons.

Appreciate any advice anyone has and apologies for the rambling post!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

17 comments

jthef | 3 years ago
0 likes
Pilot Pete | 3 years ago
0 likes

I have worn Sidis for 10 years but fancied a change. So I've just received a pair of Le Col shoes. Not even ridden in them yet, but first impressions is they are wider fit than the Sidis but that can be taken up with the atop dials (like Boa). Might be worth a look....

PP

Pilot Pete replied to Pilot Pete | 3 years ago
0 likes

Rode in them today, very nice. More room than the Sidis around the toe box area. Comfy with my moulded insoles in place of the stock.

PP

Davetait81 replied to Pilot Pete | 3 years ago
0 likes

Good stuff. They do look pretty smart. Whole load of promo videos on wiggle/chain reaction. 

Davetait81 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Update: Ekoi are a bit slim, Red are snug and Bont spot on. 
Ekoi are going up for sale and potentially returning the Red. 
Thanks for the input guys. Will try out suggested brands in a couple of years/when these are duffed up!

peted76 | 3 years ago
0 likes

I feel your pain brother!

It took me a very long time to find the shoes I own now.. I made almost a hobby of finding bike shops wherever I went and trying on shoes for about a year solid.

In the end I stumbled upon a pair of old model shimano R321's.. from a local shop.. it was literally the last pair they had, I must have walked past those shoes ten times and not given them a second glance as I'd considered 'shimano' to narrow. However these close around the foot in a way which lends itself to wider feet. You can still buy them, they are great shoes, worth a butchers.

Davetait81 replied to peted76 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks. Agreed. 
The ones I have that are the best fitting are the r171. They are from the same range just the model down from them I think. Awesome shoe, just starting to get a bit tatty as they've seen some miles!

check12 | 3 years ago
0 likes

seeing as your favorite pair are shimano - SHIMANO S-PHYRE SH-RC900 road Cycling Shoes EU 45 wide white , used - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHIMANO-S-PHYRE-SH-RC900-road-Cycling-Shoes-E...

Davetait81 replied to check12 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks. I did see them actually 

Cargobike | 3 years ago
0 likes

What's more important?

The fit, or the price?

You've already said you have 3 pairs, yet you are still looking for more shoes. Surely the idea is to have one pair for road and one for MTB. Therefore IMO aim to get the best fit and worry less about the price, being comfortable should be your primary aim. It's pointless congratulating yourself on getting a bargain if your feet are pinched at the end of a ride.

I too struggle to find shoes that fit comfortably as I have wide feet but also suffer from lymphoedema resulting in my feet and lower legs swelling even more as my lymph system doesn't move water from my lowest point, effectively meaming I have to wear compression stockings all the time that have limited results in handling my issues.

For me I have found only Sidi, Bont and Lake shoes come anywhere near offering the width that I require as standard even before my legs and feet expand even more due to my medical condition, but of course all of these shoes are made in limited sizes that are offered in the extra width required. Being limited sizes means they cost more and bargains are few and far between, especially during the peak cycling season, if you are in the UK.

You can of course limit your spending by using MTB shoes and pedals on your road bike if cost is really an issue and get down to only one pair of shoes, if you really want to, it's certainly what I do presently (yeah, yeah, I know).

If I had to choose one make only I'd plump for Lake shoes, although long term I'm considering hanging the cost and having a couple of pairs of bespoke shoes made.

Expensive? Definitely!

However, if it ensures an almost perfect fit then it will be money well spent IMO.

Davetait81 replied to Cargobike | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks. 
I get your point. Probably should concentrate on one pair. 
It's not all about the price but I suppose that's how I justify it to myself!

I have four pairs of cycling shoes - 2 road pedal and 2 mtb (plus the one that came today). I commute to work all weather so have bikes with mtb pedals for that. 
Tend to go out on my best bike once a week if the weather is good. Plus the bike on the turbo and the track bike. 

srchar | 3 years ago
0 likes

I have quite narrow feet and find Spiuks far too wide. So, I can't give you a recommendation, as I don't wear them, but they may fit the bill for you.

Davetait81 replied to srchar | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks. I'll have a look.
One of three pairs I ordered arrived today (Ekoi Strada). Found them a bit narrow but long enough. 

alan sherman | 3 years ago
0 likes

I had a nightmare finding shoes for my wide-ish, but mainly square-toed shaped feet.  If you have an issue with the 4th toe rubbing then the answer for me was the Specialized torch 1.0.  This other shoes, including the wide S works, have a different shaped toe box that angles in too much.  It may be the cheapest shoe in the range, but it was the one that had the right shape for me!

Davetait81 replied to alan sherman | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Alan. I've got three pairs on the way. If none of them work I'll check out the torch. 

Tommy Gun | 3 years ago
0 likes

Please forgive me but I am new to this site. I'm in a dilema about shoes and probably pedals too. I cycle once a week on my own and once a week with some friends which is far more relaxed. In reality I need 2 bolt shoes for the relaxed ride and three for my own but are there pedal sets that give that fleibility? With regard to shoes I quite like the Shimano RC7's does anyone have any experience of these? Thanks

SimonAY replied to Tommy Gun | 3 years ago
0 likes

I've got RC7s and really like them, super comfortable 

Latest Comments