Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

So what are you doing to ride out (or in) the current situation?

Strange times. I'm going to be writing something later on what we're doing and going to be doing here at road.cc to adjust to the new reality, but what about you?

How does cycling fit in to your life at the moment?
Be really good to hear and share your experiences on of the current situation - and not just of the cycling variety. It's good to talk at times like these.

Are you having to get used to working from home?
Are you working on the frontline - and that covers a lot of people, including quite a few on bikes - if you're a courier or food delivery rider (the latter being hailed as heroes in Italy)?
Or maybe you're already staring down the barrel of an economically uncertain future?

As I said, it's good to talk and hopefully we might even be able to cheer each other up a bit

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

19 comments

Boatsie | 3 years ago
3 likes

Took an ex tour bike on a spin other day.
))) sort of appreciate why they sooo expensive.

Winter here. I like this. Race bike maintenance vs commuter maintenance sillys my thoughts as comparing a F1 kart with a Suzuki Swift.

Makes my life easy. I get about 20kmph average. Winter nearer 15-18. Not wind, just cold.
I've never seen puncture, I don't even carry a pump at moment. 38mm front, 35mm rear don't wear fast but roll a fare of easy effort vs decent movement with packs.
Storms are lovely. I live down wind of work, she's on my back, should be faster rides again. Can catch train into wind if blowing water before work.
Just waiting on at my boots. Melted in house fire(((
Hasn't rained yet but all I'll get is wet socks at moment.
Hoodie, gloves.. Nice.

Purchase cost of bike was 1-2 weeks fuel.
Hub gear, very easy maintenance schedule

Happy riding. So happy, I ride longer times. Lol

ktache replied to Boatsie | 3 years ago
2 likes

Boatsie!  It's been a while.

Hirsute replied to Boatsie | 3 years ago
2 likes

Yay, boatsie is back.

john beltx replied to Boatsie | 3 years ago
0 likes

haha i like your bike man !!

Cargobike | 3 years ago
2 likes

Riding more than ever now.

As a courier I've never been busier. Still do my daily deliveries for 2 national carriers who sub-contract work out to us, plus work for the NHS, local council and helping out Deliveroo and their ilk when they get overrun with orders. Additionally, doing voluntary deliveries to the vulnerable needing food supplies and medication.

Only had one day off this year and that was New Years Day, so only some of the upturn in work is due to the pandemic. Thank God for electric assist!

CoffeeAddict | 3 years ago
1 like

Working from home for nine weeks now and have taken up the Alzheimer's Society Cycling Challenge.of riding 250 in a month. 46 miles to go and £320 raised so chuffed to bits with that.

Judge dreadful | 3 years ago
1 like

For me, personally, not that much has changed. I have to make sure I have extra food with me before I start out, as replenishing 'on the hoof' is a bit more of a pain in the arse than it was before. I have altered a lot of my usual routes, to ensure that in the case of a catastrophic failure, I am not much more than an hour walk, with a potentially un rideable bike, from home. I've put inner tubes in all the remaining functioning tubeless tyres I had ( on my road bikes ) which was about 2, on 4 bikes, the other 6 having failed badly whilst I was trialling them, as that is a ball ache I could really live without at present. But I'm still getting the miles in, and there are plenty of reasonable hills within a 15 mile radius of home, so other than a few kit alterations, and a re jig of some routes, I'm still riding pretty much as I was before this all kicked off. Cafe stops are out, but a couple of routes have burger vans / kebab vans on them, which are still going, so that's one substitution. I also can't stop at any pubs at present, so beer runs to the local shops,  have increased.

James Warrener | 3 years ago
0 likes

I am still working and riding indoors to minimise any risk of getting it ant not being able to work.

matthewn5 | 3 years ago
2 likes

I'm trying to keep up my commuting miles by doing a few circuits of the neighbourhood. I've discovered quite a lot of short hills round my way, so have tried to cycle up them all every time. Bit dull but I don't want to go too far from home as I'm in a 'high risk category' for coronavirus apparently (steroid dependent).

Podc | 3 years ago
0 likes

Having to use my one period of exercise per day to walk (run) with the dogs. Bike has been cleaned, dressed for summer and locked away for the foreseeable 

peter101cycle | 3 years ago
0 likes

Cycling as normal tbh and enjoying less traffic on the roads.  I tend to cycle on my own anyway, so I'm doing between 35 and 80 miles per train. I take food and drink with me, use routes I know very well, avoid people and don't cycle unnecessary risks

bike_food | 4 years ago
0 likes

Just started a 12 week custom sufferfest plan which culminates with the Fred Whitton, sigh.

Stu Kerton | 4 years ago
1 like

I've been getting as many hours in on the bike as I can this week as I knew the school closure was imminent, should be about 400 miles by the end of the weekend to get as much kit and as many bikes tested as possible.
From next week with three young kids home I'll be trying to get out for an hour before the wife goes to work and another hour in the evening while balancing home schooling, work, housework and searching the shops for toilet roll during the day!  3

Kendalred | 4 years ago
1 like

Cycled to work this morning (effin' freezin'), and obviously back home again soon. We've not been told that we have to work from home yet (but I suspect it's coming in the next 24 hours), so I, like others, will still go out on my own if I can. I'm just praying we don't get the draconian restrictions that cyclists in other countries have had placed on them. I realise that it's a drain on the NHS if you were to have a bad chute, but surely driving in the car would also have a risk associated with it. 

I consider cycling to be part of my mental health regime, and not only that I have read that regular exercise boosts the immune system - although I realise it doesn't need to be on a bike.

If all else fails it'll be back to Zwift - which given the weather forecast for the next couple of weeks looks good, will be a bit of a killer.

Chris Hayes | 4 years ago
0 likes

Richmond Park was pretty busy this morning - I suspect that the WFH crowd have taken to sneaky ride-outs....Or is that just me.   Not very much traffic on the road.  Seemed like a Sunday... 

Tony Farrelly replied to Chris Hayes | 4 years ago
0 likes

Funnily enough my wife rode to work along the Two Tunnels bike path yesterday - roads were empty, bike path was rammed: joggers, cyclists, dog walkers, mum's with buggies. There's always people on it, but not usually that many. She got off and walked in the end.

Barry Fry-up | 4 years ago
5 likes

still planning to do solo rides outdoors, until someone actually stops me. self isolating, low-risk, healthy activity.

some of my non-cycling mates are going on at me about how it's irresponsible and selfish, in case i come a cropper and need hospital treatment. then in the very next sentence they crack on about how they're using the time to get some DIY done, which accounts for 200,000 hopsital visits every year.

hatchet harry | 4 years ago
1 like

Working from home at the mo and stretching out my lunch breaks into 'micro reverse triathlon' sessions: 

Run (to garage) - 30 secs 
Ride (Zwift) - 50mins
Swim (Shower) - 5mins

Seems to work for me, and the lack of needing to go anywhere or negotiate actual corners on the bike means that, unlike actual triathletes, I won't fall off and put any extra strain on the NHS.  3 

Simon_MacMichael replied to hatchet harry | 4 years ago
4 likes

Careful with the swim bit though, the bathroom is statistically the room in the home where injuries are most likely to happen.

Latest Comments