Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Sore and chaffed inner top of my thighs.

Hello

Re. above ,after a ride I find the top of my inner thighs get sore due to saddle chaffing.

I have tried different saddles (6 ) and different saddle positions but the chaffing persists.
I ride both road and Hybrid bikes.
My rides are between 30 and 60 k.m.
I have found this condition worsens with my advancing years (over 70 )
Any replies and solutions gratefully received.

Thank you .

Yours

Doug.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

EddyBerckx | 3 years ago
1 like

I've experienced the same on a couple of occasions and it was due to the following:

1. Saddle too wide - I bought a 2nd hand bike with an after market saddle that was wider than I'd normally have...caused problems after a week or two when I started to put decent miles on it and also when I changed position.

2. Changing my saddle position I.e. moving it too far forward so I'm pushing back a bit and my thighs are rubbing on the wide bit.

In your case I'd simply book a bike fit with a reputable bike fitter in your local area, they should easily be able to sort you out, this particular problem shouldn't be caused by shorts or chamoix cream (or lack of) in my opinion

Grahamd | 3 years ago
1 like

Have been there, only resolved my issue after a saddle specific bike fit, in my case the saddle was too low and I needed a flatter, less padded saddle. 

Doug.F. | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thank you for the replies.
I do wear lycra padded cycling shorts ,they help but the mentioned sore ness persists.
All best wishes.
Doug.

Spokesperson replied to Doug.F. | 3 years ago
1 like

Try some Sudacrem mate... it's not just for babies! I use it for every long ride and it is so much cheaper and better than expensive (usually perfumed) chamois cream

SimonAY replied to Spokesperson | 3 years ago
1 like

Plus one for sudocreme. Works for me and much cheaper than chamois creams

Mungecrundle | 3 years ago
1 like

Proper cycle clothing. Embrace your inner "lycra lout".

mtb_roadtripper | 3 years ago
1 like

Some lycra and some chamois cream.

If you arent using close fitting/skin tight shorts the bunching etc of the materials between your outer shorts and underwear and skin will cause chafing and pressure points. 

Chamois cream is essentially lubricant for your thighs....not as bad as it sounds. Lots of cycling specific options, generally steer clear of petroleum based lubes like...aquaphor or vaseline as they will cause degredation to your shorts. 

Should solve your problem. 

TomDW replied to mtb_roadtripper | 3 years ago
1 like

Yes , get some cycling shorts. They don't have to be skinny type as there are plenty of more normal mountain bike ones. Remember if you have thick chamois cushion you may need to lower your saddle a bit.

Latest Comments