Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Sore feet - Insole advice

Hi all,

For some time I have been getting sore feet on longer rides. It feels more like an ache in each foot rather than pressure points. I am looking at getting some insoles to see if they will alleviate this problem.

Any advice on what insoles I could go for that people feel have helped them gratefully received or any other advice to help solve the problem!

Many thanks in advance

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

JonW79 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Many thanks to all for their comments. I have had quite a few suggestions so will work through thrm to hopefully find a solution!

ibr17xvii | 3 years ago
0 likes

I have the G8 insoles which although are quite expensive have transformed my feet comfort on the bike.

They aren't perfect but are a world of difference from most of the flimsy standard insoles you normally get with shoes.

Pilot Pete replied to ibr17xvii | 3 years ago
0 likes

Yes, many shoe manufacturers put very basic insoles in their shoes, especially top end shoes such as Sidi, as they assume people will have/ get custom footbeds.

PP

TheBillder | 3 years ago
1 like

Without knowing what is wrong, it's hard to find the right fix. For me (probably Morton's neuroma, thanks a bunch Morton, you can have it back now) without a podiatrist in lockdown, I had to try a few things on a probability and cost basis, and it has got quite a bit better.

If doing it again I would start with shoes (given cleats well positioned and insoles in good nick) - are they wide enough? You can find wide ones on eBay that give you a cheap way to test - Lake, Bont and the wide-fitting Shimanos are a good place to start. I think narrow shoes caused my issue.

Then head for the specifics. For me, ball of foot cushions spread my metatarsals and that helps a lot. £8 for a pack on Amazon. Aimed at high heel wearers, about 50 mm across. Test alignment carefully as they can cause more pain if wrong. But this is where the podiatrist is probably worth the fee.

Oberon | 3 years ago
0 likes

These were recommended to me: https://solestar.com/.

I've been using them for more than a year. I think they have helped, although my problems were not feet-specific, but more to do with joint alignment. 

james.bowman | 3 years ago
0 likes

I suffer with sore feet too. I used to get it all the time skiing, where your feet are in locked into position in ski boots all day, until I went and had a pair of boots professionally fitted which helped me understand what had been leading to the problems.

Pain or numbness in the foot is often caused when your sole is not properly in contact with the footbed. In my case this was because I have wide feet and the internal dimensions of the boot were not allowing my fore foot to spread naturally under increased downwards pressure. The fitter told me that all brands used different lasts and so fit differently. They told me there were only 2 brands I should consider for my feet which would suit me. I then also got a custom moulded insole to ensure the best platform inside the boots for my feet.

Even now I sometimes get the same sensations after a while when cycling if my laces are too tight in certain places (not allowing my feet to spread and maintain contact with the footbed) or my cleats are not aligned correctly (forcing too much pressure onto the outside of my foot) or the platform of the pedal is too small (although this could probably be helped by stiffer soles on the shoes).

Where do you experience the discomfort?

Pilot Pete replied to james.bowman | 3 years ago
0 likes

I got custom footbeds, similar to the ones for ski boots for my cycling shoes. I never really experienced problems before, but the footbeds are super comfy. I've swapped them from one pair of shoes to another, so far three times. Still as comfy as the day I got them. Brand is Sidas.

PP

Alpine Scrumper | 3 years ago
0 likes

I have similar issues on rides over 200km despite insoles
IMO the issue is the very stiff carbon soles of my shoes. I'm planning to buy some cheaper nylon or composite soled shoes to use for along rides in the hope that alleviates the problem. I'm not going to be hammering it on rides that long so the power transfer argument is irrelevant for me in this case.
Sorry if this is no help.

Pilot Pete replied to Alpine Scrumper | 3 years ago
0 likes

I can't imagine you will notice any difference with non-carbon soles, especially as you say - not hammering it - which is where you might notice a difference in stiffness.

My advice would be to have an appointment with a podiatrist who has specific cycling knowledge. There are insoles, and there are insoles. I would think getting proper advice about which insole will alleviate your particular problem would be more cost effective than trying different shoes and insoles randomly.

PP

Latest Comments