Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Split tyre.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

wtjs | 3 years ago
0 likes

I have been doing this for many years: just cut out a suitable piece from an old defunct tyre, which doesn't have to be very large, cut out any wire or kevlar from the bead, and glue or place it at the appropriate spot. Get that bit back on the rim first and the uninflated tube is usually enough to hold the patch in place while you get the rest of the tyre back on. Another useful material, no longer easily obtainable, is X-ray film. This can take a small fold which hooks over the tyre bead, and it's so thin it doesn't affect tyre seating at all and so strong that it will protect the tube for months and years. It can only be about 1" around the circumference, though, because it won't comply with the curvature and develops a kink which erodes the tube. I carry one of both of these in my repair kit.

snappyandrew | 3 years ago
0 likes

Hello. I have a newish conti 5000 with a small split in the sidewall. Tube pokes through it. I’m loathed to chuck it but can’t see a reliable long term repair. Unless you know different

David9694 replied to snappyandrew | 3 years ago
0 likes

A puncture repair patch glued on the inside.

hawkinspeter replied to snappyandrew | 3 years ago
0 likes

You could try wetsuit repair glue - it takes about 24 hours to fully set into rubber. Maybe try that to hold the split together and a puncture repair patch on the inside to ensure that it's airproof.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/McNett-Black-Witch-Neoprene-Adhesive/dp/B000SCJQYQ

ktache replied to snappyandrew | 3 years ago
0 likes

A tire boot wouldn't hurt, even over a thin glued patch, but if it's very long term it will eventually hurt the inner tube.  The boot eventually disintergrates, causing edges which dig into the tube.  But it will give you more life in the tyre, wear it out quickly.

Latest Comments