Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

SRAM Force XG-1270 Cassette question

Hi folks. I recently got my new 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 8.0 Etap and loving it.
It has the SRAM AXS Force group set. 48/35 chainring and a 10-28 cassette.

It has a SRAM Force XG-1270 cassette which comes in 10-26, 10-28, 10-33 and 10-36 formats. I am wondering if I could replace the 10-28 cassette with either a 10-33 or a 10-36 to make climbing easier. Is this a simple swap, or will I run into any compatibility issues?

I took the bike to some steep climbs and was really struggling with the current low gear of 35 front and 28 rear.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

AlsoSomniloquism | 3 years ago
0 likes

Just remember you might need a new chain as the one on the bike might have been sized for the 28 cog setup.

Mr Pennington | 3 years ago
1 like
saharan75 replied to Mr Pennington | 3 years ago
0 likes

Wow thanks Mr Pennington. That's good to know!

I am a bit risk averse though.

1. So it sounds like my standard non-wide AXS derailleur will definitely work with the 10-33t cassette.
  2. Going to 10-36t is possible (without needing the wide derailleur), but SRAM does not support it.

I guess for me going from 10-28 to 10-33 should give me the low gears I will need for my climbs. While the 10-36 would be nice, I am just afraid it may void my Canyon or SRAM warranty.

Mr Pennington replied to saharan75 | 3 years ago
0 likes

If you find 33T or 36T is not low enough and wish to go to 40T, you'll need to change to a longer chain and install something like a Wolf Tooth Roadlink. I don't believe either changes would ruin your warranty. https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/roadlink

Latest Comments