Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

on street parking creates hazards for drivers and cyclists

not sure on the future of this, but am i the only one who thinks this way?
Ok, we all know many households now have more than one car, and there are varying reasons why. The problem is a lot of houses, flats especially, don't come with parking spaces or at least not enough for all the cars on the roads. So we end up with cars and vehicles parked either half up on the pavement of a road, either on just one side, or on both. Perfectly legal, but when does it become an obstruction?
you've probably had abuse from motorists following you when cycling outside the door zone, caused by the fact there are cars parked on a road.
You've probably driven a car too, and found yourself given way to, or forced to give way, to vehicles coming the other way, due to the fact the parked cars on the road have narrowed it, making it impossible for two cars to pass unless somebody yields.
Near to me there is a new development of flats, and the owners have taken to parking on the road, narrowing the left side lane to barely a foot. It means if you drive down it, as they are on a bend, you have no way of seeing if you're going to be driving head on at oncoming cars, due to the position of the a pillar and the way the cars are parked.
My question is, is it not an obstruction of the highway to allow cars to be left parked in this manner. And is it not dangerous, considering many motorists are pig ignorant of dooring and expect people to cycle right beside parked cars so they can squeeze through? Should we not be saying, no, you cannot park on the road, you must park in a driveway or lesser used side road, no space for car, no ownership of car granted. If i lived in a flat and had no parking for two vehicles, i would just not own one. That's actually what i do now. I have a house with a tiny front porch and step, so my motorbikes and pedal bikes all go just in front of it, not on the road further out. I have a gate too. But do you think we should be letting more and more cars be parked on the road, narrowing the space and causing an issue to everyone, or is there a point where we say, no, no more road parking, can't own car if have nowhere storage, must buy motorbike or bicycle instead?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

matthewn5 | 3 years ago
3 likes

I completely agree, at what point did it become legal to block the public highway semi-permanently with private property? In my street, 40% of the width is blocked by parked cars, it's reduced to a single lane. Cars are used on average just 4% of the time in the UK, so they're parked up for 96% of the time. Japan requires you to own or rent an off-street car park before you can buy a car: time Britain adopted that rule too. We need all that space back for cycle tracks and social distancing. Drivists, you've had your fun for a century, this stops now.

Achtervolger | 3 years ago
2 likes

Good points raised regarding the increasing size of vehicles in recent years, and increasing numbers of such vehicles on the roads. A friend of mine told me this was to do with a recent rise in leasing vehicles - far more people can afford to lease the SUV of their dreams than could have afforded to buy it. Is this something anyone else has heard of? 

David9694 replied to Achtervolger | 3 years ago
2 likes

People have gotten fatter - why have they gotten fatter..? When you see the newest Mini next to a 1960s original, it really brings it home to you have fat they've become. "Ha ha! I'd never fit in that!" There's very little that's micra about today's Nissan Micra. 

Folk don't own their cars outright these days.  I remember being asked at my main dealer garage once "do you pay for your servicing?"

Stebbo replied to David9694 | 3 years ago
2 likes

Cars are bigger but some of the reason is the increased safety requirements. 

You can't really make a car the size of  the 1960s Mini meet modern NCAAP standards.

Dao replied to Stebbo | 3 years ago
1 like

yes, you can. It's just not profitable for car companies to sell something too similar to older products as people then question why they should buy anything new. The idea of luxury is having extra space, not because you need it, but because you can.

Cars didn't get wider and roads followed. Roads were made wider, THEN cars followed to "fill the lane", not because of safety standards, but because they could market the car as the newest, most spacious model you can buy.

As time passes and society got more obese on average, seats had to be made wider to match peoples wider girth, also not a safety feature, but a result of over-dependancy on motor-vehicles.

very few safety features require more space in a vehicle, and the increased size required of crumple zones are mostly to the length of a vehicle not its width, these crumple zones only account for a small portion of the trend to larger vehicles.

Cargobike replied to Dao | 3 years ago
1 like

Sorry, but that's totally wrong regarding roads getting wider and then cars getting wider too. The simple truth for cars being as wide as they are now is down to EU safety laws. In their ever greater need to ensure vehicle occupants are safe in their metal boxes, at the expense of every other road user, more and more safety features have been built in as standard features. They have to go somewhere, so cars get wider. However, there are legal parameters of how wide vehicles of all classes can be, unlike length. Probably explains why all the EU politicians are chauffered around in top of the range BMW's and Audi's, a nice kickback for allowing cars to steamroller their way through every aspect of our lives these days.

Gary's bike channel replied to Achtervolger | 3 years ago
0 likes

yep, 90 percent of new vehicles are leased, not bought. I said a few years back this was surely what was accounting for the increasing traffic numbers. Personal lease hire or something like it. It was around 2013 i kept seeing all these new reg plates and thinking how people were affording it. Credit bubble. The problem is made worse when you consider the sheer vastness of even a moderate sized car, theres no way itll fit past a cyclist in the same lane, no wonder they struggle to overtake properly.

ktache | 3 years ago
3 likes

Don't forget about all of the garages that were built in the 80s and before than will never get to see it used by todays inflated vehicles.

David9694 | 3 years ago
2 likes

yep, bugs me a bit too - isn't there something about taking responsibility for your car or rather cars: if you can't park it - don't own it?  Even on this forum, I'm wondering if that will get some "I can't possibly live any other way" responses.
On a larger scale, Cars also affect the way towns grow - densities are much higher in those central terraced streets and flats than they are in say an 1980/90s built "Bovis" estate further out. In effect, development is that bit more spread out, or consumes more land,  if you allow say 2.0 parking spaces per unit rather than 1.0 or 0.0.  The nice grassy spaces in your typical 1960s "executive" estate now get gobbled-up, of course. 
In my home town, the Council has just proposed a cycle exemption to an existing one way solution to a run of parked-up mainly terraced residential roads. On Facebook, "Oh no," say the driving lobby, "now I've got to think, look and listen for bikes!" - or at least so I'm hoping I've managed to reframe what they were saying.  The OP of that one sounds like a decent guy, and maybe he's joking about damage to his front bumper and bonnet and his getting sued - yes, it seems motorists have managed to add that to their list of fears and all-round ill-used victim-hood. 
around the corner from me is a giant street parked Amorok or whatever it calls itself, pick-up a good foot wider than even today's average car, not a speck of mud on it (of course). Clearly the guy can't park it on his own land, living as he does in an average family house - you just wonder about things like that. Can't be a cheap thing to own. 
on my parents' home town Facebook, there have been proposals for town centre sites to be redeveloped as flats.  The cry is "oh no, more flats = more cars on our 'choked' roads, but wait, there's no dedicated parking: well that'll never work"  -  no parking spaces comes across as some kind of moral outrage!

Cargobike | 3 years ago
5 likes

I'm pretty certain that there is legislation going through Parliament right now to stop pavement parking throughout the country, as it already is illegal in London. Once that becomes law a huge number of car owners and flat dwellers will be in for a rude awakening.

Here in Derby there are still many areas of the city that are row upon row of terraced houses yet the occupiers own multiple cars, but of course they pay "road tax" so everyone else can f**k off.

Does my head in, especially the bell-ends who think that the car gives them right of way at all times whether they are following you revving their engines or driving at you with impunity and showing no consideration for others safety.

I've had quite a few stand-offs with motorists on what are effectively single track roads due to the poor parking on both sides.

David9694 replied to Cargobike | 3 years ago
1 like

No better way of saying "sod all of you" than pavement parking! 

to get anywhere in my village, you have to cross a river bridge which has a separate ped walkway on one side. Lockdown and the annual village fair are the only time you get to walk the opposite side. Anyway, the other day two guys were lingering on the walkway so my wife led us on the road alongside the walkway,  cue: grey Volvo monster coming at us (and some kind of angry gesture from the driver that appeared to encourage us to move further out into her path).  

Getting drivers to understand peds are social distancing was never going to be easy. "HE WAS WALKING IN THE ROAD WITHOUT A CARE IN THE WORLD"

Achtervolger | 3 years ago
2 likes

You're certainly not the only person that thinks this way - I completely agree! It's a huge issue in the terraced housing areas of sheffield - with cars parked up and down both sides of the street, all that's left is one lane to go up and down both ways. Drivers just about manage (with the inevitable Mexican stand-offs) but such streets certainly aren't much fun to cycle on. I suppose it will take some incredibly bold thinking and massive overhauling of transport infrastructure to ameliorate this problem. After all, the infrastructure in this country is so heavily skewed towards car ownership, the majority of people will want to own one; yet I'm sure that the vast majority of dwellings in this country don't have off-road parking. All these car-owning citizens are voters... it'd take a fairly bold politician, local or national, to stick their neck out on this sort of issue. I suppose that really, everything about driving and our societal reliance on motorized transport is this sort of issue, writ large. Cars are bad for our health through noise and air pollution, they are a constant danger to the life and limb of pedestrians and cyclist by simply being what they are. Yet because we are now 'locked into' that model, it will be incredibly difficult to change, despite its obvious awfulness.

Cargobike replied to Achtervolger | 3 years ago
0 likes

Give it 10 years or so and half the private cars on the roads will have disappeared. Although the cost of batteries in EV's have reduced significantly over the last decade, there is only so much cost savings that can be made, especially with all the other gubbins that motorists expect their cars to have these days. For many, private car ownership will become a distant memory as automation and continued high prices lock out many motorists from car ownership.

Latest Comments