Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Subscriber - why is my screen full of adverts?

I'm a subscriber, and 'ad-free' is ticked in my subscription settings, but for some reason my screen seems to be full of adverts today?  Anyone else having that?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

47 comments

Hirsute | 2 years ago
0 likes

Now I am getting a cycle touring advert on every page.
And least it is not a car.

CygnusX1 replied to Hirsute | 2 years ago
0 likes

Same. A "powered by PEDALTRIPR" cycle touring ad on the right hand column.

Hirsute replied to CygnusX1 | 2 years ago
0 likes

I have fixed it now. I was trying to tick the box on my phone but after I swapped to the pc, it has remembered my option.

quiff | 2 years ago
3 likes

Hi road.cc team. Is the non-subscription site meant to look like this? Or is this a way of persuading me to subscribe to get rid of ads? I know it's how you fund the site, but the amount of space given to your actual content is ridiculous.

markieteeee replied to quiff | 2 years ago
2 likes

I'm not a subscriber but I don't get a fraction of these. I definitely would give up if I had this level of ads.

quiff replied to markieteeee | 2 years ago
1 like

The worst offender is the one on the left hand side (Miele, in my example). That encroaching into the text is a relatively new development. Second most irritating is the one at bottom centre, which also reduces the amount of text visible. The rest I can easily tune out. But put it all together and there is a tiny scrolling window (no deeper than the author's by-line in the example above) where I can actually see the full width of the content I come here for. Hoping at least some of this is an error.     

0 likes

That would drive me nuts. Out of those I tend to only get the top right, which doesn't go over any of the articles so it's easily ignored.  Does it make any difference if you use a different browser?

0 likes

The worst excesses of the left hand panel are a problem in Chrome, but not Edge for me. The bottom banner covers the content regardless of browser.     

1 like

I tend to avoid the google-sphere so can't comment specifically but none of these issues arise on Safari or Firefox.  Firefox works everywhere, is free and also automatically blocks third-party and social tracking. I realise Chrome can also do this but with Firefox it's by default, and if the left and bottom ads are spoiling your viewing then you could give it a go.  It's a decent browser anyway, so maybe worth a try.

1 like

Thanks. Work PC, so my options are limited! 

brooksby replied to Lance ꜱtrongarm | 2 years ago
0 likes

That full page Malta one is a nightmare. I was looking at the site last night, not logged in, on an iPad and Safari suddenly popped up "Please rotate your device". I did so, and the entire screen was taken over with the Malta slideshow and no way of closing it and getting back to the site.

As I've said before, using the site when logged in I see no ads (I'm a subscriber).

Jack Sexty | 2 years ago
2 likes

Hi all, we're really sorry about this and have been trying to get to the bottom of why the ads free box is unchecking for some of you, as mentioned already we think it might be something to do with renewing subscriptions. If you're a subscriber and go into your account settings, the 'no ads' box should be ticked. We've gone through and ticked the no ads box for all subscribers on this thread, if anyone is still seeing them that shouldn't be (i.e. the no ads box is ticked in your profile) do get in touch with us directly at info [at] road.cc and we'll respond. 

Apologies again! 

AlsoSomniloquism replied to Jack Sexty | 2 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Jack

I never noticed the No Ads checkbox before in my profile. Is this something that is manually changeble for subscribers, ie if it happens again we can go in and check it? Or is it only a visual clue and not something we can change?

brooksby replied to Jack Sexty | 2 years ago
0 likes

Jack - thanks for this.  I don't know if it helps - and its sorted now anyway - but during the Week of Adverts the 'no ads' box was ticked in my subscriber settings but I was seeing the ads anyway.

TheBillder replied to Jack Sexty | 2 years ago
3 likes

Hooray! One tip: untick the box, save, then tick again. Brought to you by the IT Crowd. Worked for me.

Now I can stop worrying about exactly why I got targeted with some specific ads...

ktache replied to TheBillder | 2 years ago
1 like

That worked, Cheers.

A couple of days ago the bottom pop up started being about the Vuelta and GCN, at last something relevent.

It's when they try and sell me Bentlys thet you realise that AI isn't that particularly good.

ktache replied to ktache | 2 years ago
1 like

I had forgotten how clean it looks without ads and how fast everything becomes.

quiff replied to ktache | 2 years ago
1 like

ktache wrote:

It's when they try and sell me Bentlys thet you realise that AI isn't that particularly good.

I find it strangely comforting that 'targeted' ads are so wide of the mark. It's either stuff I don't want, or stuff I bought last week and won't be buying again for [x] years ("oh, so you like washing machines? well check out these washing machines").

armb | 2 years ago
1 like

I have an ad blocker running, and since I'm a subscriber, I don't feel guilty about it.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiam...

brooksby | 2 years ago
0 likes

OMG   The adverts have disappeared, when I'm logged in.

AlsoSomniloquism  - can you confirm this?

AlsoSomniloquism replied to brooksby | 2 years ago
0 likes

Nope, still here for me at the moment. 

Maybe they are fixing one by one (and not alphabetically either). Do you still have the PedalTrippr ads on the side of the forum or as a main "article" on the front page as that is where I could still tell when an Adblocker was actuallly on doing the job I had paid Road.cc for.

brooksby replied to AlsoSomniloquism | 2 years ago
0 likes

The PedalTrippr ads don't show when I'm logged in.  There are no ads.

It's quite refreshing.

1 like

Same here now. 

Tom_77 | 2 years ago
4 likes

I'm finding some of the adverts to be a real pain in the arse.

brooksby | 2 years ago
0 likes

Well, today my screen is covered with adverts telling me to watch La Vuelta on GCN+...

Seriously, road.cc people - I think all of us subscribers would like some sort of update or a timescale on fixing this issue.

Please.

1 like

Or a full refund. 

brooksby | 2 years ago
0 likes

New one today - I had to close a tab because the entire tab got taken over by a slideshow exhorting me to Visit Malta surprise surprise surprise

Hirsute replied to brooksby | 2 years ago
0 likes

Malta - sounds good

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/malta/entry-requirements#entry-...

The Maltese authorities have announced that from 30 June 2021, arrivals from the UK will be required to present proof of full vaccination. This will exempt travellers from self-isolation.

3 likes

Road.cc response

*tumbleweed*

Mungecrundle | 2 years ago
2 likes

My subscription renewal has just gone through but the site is full of time wasting, screen consuming adverts that I am paying not to see. What's the resolution please?

Pages

Latest Comments