Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Suffolk cyclists - help needed please

I'm planning a circular ride west to east, breaking the ride in Southwold, so I need to cross the A12. But, I've been told there are stretches of that you can't ride on. Seems there are very few places to cross straight over and I'll need to dog leg along the A12. Can anyone tell me where that's possible or recommend the best crossing points? Ta.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

Richard_pics | 2 years ago
1 like

I live in Beccles. And cross the a12 reguarly on spins. It really isnt that bad. Nor that bad to ride on. Personally i wouldnt worry. Most of the fast streches have a decent "hard shoulder" 

Dont use any of the cycle path bits though, they are pathetic!

dami1193 replied to Richard_pics | 2 years ago
0 likes

Noted - thanks!

pockstone | 2 years ago
1 like

I'm not local but have crossed the A12 a few times. Last go was after the Dynamo when I rode down A12 from Walberswick Rd to the turn off for Wenhaston.

It was telling that there was a motorcycle speed cop sat at the end of Walberswick Rd. and that was 7.00 AM on a Sunday morning . I recall not enjoying my short section even at that time of day.

As well as suggestions below, there is a footpath access from the A12 to the dead end of High St. in Wangford. This coincides with a small road from the A145 at Sotherton. Looks crossable going from West to East, but the curve of the A12 means you'd be unsighted crossing from East to West.

If you want to risk the ferry at Walberswick, google images for it, you'll get an idea of how big the boats are!

I'll be down there this weekend, but no bike unfortunately. Enjoy the quiet lanes and go safely.

dami1193 replied to pockstone | 2 years ago
0 likes

Thank you for this - enjoy the great weather!

Miller | 2 years ago
1 like

Of course you can ride on the A12 in Suffolk. It's just whether you'd want to, although I often have for short stretches. I wouldn't sweat about a short distance on the A12. There are many small roads so you wouldn't have to ride too far before getting back onto a sandy lane by a cabbage field.

Fatandgrey | 2 years ago
1 like

I don't know if this helps. I crossed it below Southwold and ride through the common and across the Bailey bridge. Pic attached. 

dami1193 replied to Fatandgrey | 2 years ago
0 likes

Thanks - that's really helpful. Chrs

Awavey replied to Fatandgrey | 2 years ago
1 like

The bailey bridge at Walberswick is closed till end of September at the earliest for repair,its funny close a key cycle route bridge in the rest of the country even Cycling UK get involved, close one in Suffolk in the summer that then literally forces you to ride on the A12 on a 9mile diversion not a murmur of protest, there is a "ferry", but it's just a large rowing boat not ideal for bike carrying imo,given it will also be full of holiday homers, tourists stuck wrong side of the river.

So yes point 5 at the map,Hazels lane, though it's still easy to miss the turn to get to it and end up too near Blythburgh would have been the best option to cross for Southwold normally, but if the southern approach is off limits for the time being, you have to head further north to cross safely.

Wrentham is a good choice as theres a pedestrian crossing you can use to cross if the A12 is stupidly busy,and you just pick up the Southwold Road B1127,which is then reasonably quiet too. Or back south abit theres a place called Barnaby green,just above Wangford, you can cross straight over the A12,and follow the back roads to Southwold, its actually on NCN 31 to Southwold,so signposted as well.

There is of course the Halesworth rd/Henham option (A1095/A145)with abit of ride on the A12. Now I have done it a couple of times,I'm not a great fan of it personally but it is doable. But be warned both junctions on the A12 there are notorious for car crashes, literally anytime you read car crash A12 south of Lowestoft it's almost guaranteed to be there. So it's a dangerous junction because of the way motorised traffic uses that stretch of road and the A1095, again rideable, but traffic invariably is speeding,there are some nasty bends,unsighted dips,people are just following satnavs, it's not a great road to feel being a cyclist on, but people all have different limits on this stuff. Personally I dont like riding it myself, my preferred route is as per the map followed by Wrentham or Barnaby green.

dami1193 replied to Awavey | 2 years ago
0 likes

Thanks so much - that is really helpful... Was basing the whole big loop on being able to cross at Bailey Bridge, so appreciate the heads up on that! Will think again - great to have your experience. Much appreciated.

Hirsute | 2 years ago
2 likes

It's single carriageway, 50 mph max along that bit. Not a great cycling experience so it would make sense to minimise the amount of time on it. Not sure about the can't ride on, sounds more like best avoided.

Hopefully awavey will be along soon with more info.

Awavey replied to Hirsute | 2 years ago
2 likes

I dont think there are any sections cycling isnt allowed on the A12 not that part of it certainly that I'm aware of, but I'd definitely avoid riding it unless there was no other option.

I've done it when I've had to, but its not alot of fun, because no one is going to pass you with any space to spare, you could provide continuous NMOTD content riding on it regularly & it's got high volume of cars,vans,trucks all travelling at high speed,often excess, and drivers get frustrated by the single carriageway bits because they cant overtake slower traffic,inc farm vehicles,or even traffic just following the speed limits, so you get lots of impatient overtakes/road rage style overtakes, pulling out of junctions when it's not clear.

I mean none of the NCN routes use it at all, they just all cross the road, which I think says it all.

Latest Comments