Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tan wall Tubeless "gravel" tyre recommendations

Hello. Please move to another location if this forum isn't suitable.

Just purchased my first adventure bike. And want to fit tubeless tyres to it.

I want some tan walls as they will set the bike right off looks wise, but I've been told by a couple of pals that tan wall tubeless tyres leak sealant and air pretty badly.

I'm sure there must be some our there that don't, so I'm looking for recommendations please.

700c 45mm wide with treasure suitable for our muddy byways with a little bit of gravel and road riding.

Don't want to spend more than £80 ideally.

Thank you for your real world suggestions.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

shoko | 1 year ago
1 like

Not quite as wide as you requested (also 'bronze' sidewalls whatever colour that turns out to be!) but Merlin have 2fer £55 on Schwalbe G-One Ultrabite 40mm at the moment - my go to on the gravel bike through the winter (alibeit in tan)

mark1a | 1 year ago
0 likes

Agree with kil0ran, Panaracer Gravelking SK are great for mixed road and hardpack trails, but not so much on mud.

Have been using them tubeless on the gravel bike for a couple of years now, in 38mm, with Stans, and can confirm that I have had no air or sealant leaks with tan walls.

kil0ran replied to mark1a | 1 year ago
0 likes

I ran them for commuting which included New Forest tracks (those are mostly hard packed gravel with a little light sand, and not too much mud). The rest of the ride was on cycle paths heading into Southampton. Wore very well, no issues with punctures (this was a few years back so it was pre-tubeless), road noise not excessive. The tan walls are quite dark which may or may not suit the look you're going for - definitely to my eyes work better with black rather than silver accented group/rims.

If you want to get really wacky Panaracer also do a version with coloured treads - currently you have aqua and sand as your options.

The ones I ran were I think 33m and I didn't find them particularly draggy - to the point that I ended up doing RideLondon on them after I ran out of time to do a tyre swap. Plenty fast enough for me. 

They won't do bridleway/green lane mud but then most tyres won't either. Bit well in the sticky, loamy mud we get in the New Forest and only defeated by rim deep mud.

kil0ran | 1 year ago
1 like

Panaracer Gravelking SK are a great all round tyre for mixed road and bridleway use. Won't handle deep mud though. Not sure if WTB Sendero are available in 700C but they're the best option for muddier months. I also ran WTB Nano 700*40c for a while but I don't know if there's a tanwall option. Schwalbe have some options but they're rarely discounted and usually £50/£60 each

Secret_squirrel replied to kil0ran | 1 year ago
1 like

Senderos and Nano's are available in Tan wall.   WTB resolutes which kinda live between those two treadwise are also in tanwall.

kil0ran replied to Secret_squirrel | 1 year ago
0 likes

Ta. I found the Nanos to be excellent for pretty much any off road condition. And old and reliable design but probably too knobbly for road use.

Latest Comments