Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Ten Common Ascents

Collectively we three are 192 years old but a couple of youngsters joined us to help ascend Minchinhampton and Rodborough Common ten times which we thought would be a good thing to do. Because its there, obviously.  This is around Stroud so there are plenty of steep hills anyway and these are some of the best.  Start at Tom Long's Post at the middle, east to Cowcombe down and up, back to TLP, down to the Weighbridge via Well Hill and up back over the top and down to Avening and up, across to Hyde Hill down and up.  Along to Brimscombe Hill down and up, over to Butterrow Hill down and up - well you get the picture.  Walkley Hill, Bear Hill, Culver Hill and finally the W from Nailsworth. 34.96 miles, 4452 feet of ascent which is about Ben Nevis and 3 hrs 38 in the saddle.  It rained which was good and I got a bit crinkly-lipped at the top of Bear Hill but we all finished!

I open the challenge to anyone.  There are two other ascents which we avoided; Knap Hill which is MTB territory and Rodborough Hill because 10 is a round number.

Over to you!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

Rod Marton | 3 years ago
0 likes

Well done - that's some decent climbing.

For your next outing may I suggest the alternative ten common ascents. You've already mentioned Rodborough Hill and Knapp Lane, to these you could add Rooksmoor Hill/Bowl Hill, St Chloe Hill/Amberley, Gydynap Lane/Theescombe Hill, Scar Hill, Longford's Hill, Water Lane/Walls Quarry, Swell's Hill and Spillman's Pitch. Ok, the last is a bit of a cheat as it doesn't go all the way up to the common, but the gradient makes up for this.

bobrayner | 3 years ago
0 likes

Good work!

Latest Comments