Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Those Go-to bike tools

Show us your favourite tool. I'll start, with my collection of tyre levers. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

80 comments

Bigtwin | 3 months ago
1 like

Simple really...

huntswheelers | 1 year ago
5 likes

Decathlon Chain Whip......  never fails.... no rapped knuckles

Woldsman | 1 year ago
0 likes

Since we're playing shops here's my selection of tools that are more than simply functional, but make fettling a pleasure as they are so satisfying in use.  

Recent tools include the Knipex bolt croppers (SKS mudguard stays) and Shimano chain tool (since I chose to use the supplied pins rather than quick link types).  

Particular faves are the Tekton 1/4" drive 270 degree swivel head jobby (with Facom bits) and 4mm Bondhus T wrench, especially for stem and seat post bolts.  

Special mention to the old stagers: 3rd hand tool for fine tuning canti brakes, and the long, sleeved 6mm Allen key for the rather elegantly concealed bolt on an 80s Dura Ace stem.  

srchar | 1 year ago
2 likes

These make setting up a FD a doddle.

matthewn5 replied to srchar | 9 months ago
3 likes

srchar wrote:

These make setting up a FD a doddle.

+1 for these. Also work with Shimano.

Talking of Campag, here's a tool for removing/replacing the spring when cleaning, servicing or repairing an 11-speed shifter (L) and another for removing the fiddly Ultra Torque retainer clip (R):

//serving.photos.photobox.com/447450357266153f60d2b8e61738fc731dab5f31c0266618518f81fb4b15f3e31775ad15.jpg)

Another favourite, a cassette tool with a prong that goes down the axle (for QR axles):

//serving.photos.photobox.com/603724512ff7354ca75eb65ece223e3a688faeee4538ff6136b21e3a9f28c1877fadb093.jpg)

A cone-shaped carborundum block for finishing a cut steerer nicely:

//serving.photos.photobox.com/046334359b64952ff5dbc6b3c43bee8a2c71bc4bc7c57887d7b96760e15a22c1c68be578.jpg)

Proper shears for cable inners and outers, that include a tool for opening out the flattened ends of cut outers;

//serving.photos.photobox.com/88292929c1ee5a1b1e07afd3e784ca3f7f399d23707d292ed42bbe679de5547f21d3e5cd.jpg)

Finally, a small collett for pulling the roller bearings out of blind-ended pedal bodies. An absolute dream to use:

//serving.photos.photobox.com/06426242d826f81e58f811c1c05ebe3c0cca8e23b7311d37f99743e7a0052f5383021e77.jpg)

ktache replied to matthewn5 | 9 months ago
2 likes

Titanium fid, for opening up the plastic tube inside the cable outer.

Pricey, but had to have it, but it is shockingly useful for its intended task. Love to tell you where to find one but cannot find it.

Bigtwin replied to ktache | 3 months ago
1 like

I make mine out of spokes and a grinding wheel.

IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
4 likes

3 vital tools:

1. Dear old AWS-10 - this one is about 12 years old from when I was a mobile mechanic. Like a lot of multi-tools but this is just high quality hex tools made out of whatever indestructible formula of steel PT use. Seems to be just the right tension and not too big that it won't fit, it's rare to need anything else and preferable to the three headed oddities they also make. I miss my long handled hex spanners occasionally but for working on my bike this works perfectly. I do have a little torque spanner for doing important things right.

2. Trying to hide in plain sight, the invaluable valve core remover that everyone running tubeless can't live without. I've got 6 or 7, one in each bike kit and the others loitering in various places around the garage - but never in the place I first look.

3. For some reason Mrs S provided my coffee in a posh mug today. I'm nominating the mug of coffee, not Mrs S, in the 3rd slot!

ktache | 1 year ago
2 likes

One maybe for our tool addicted squirrel friend, well I have finally discovered a multi tool featuring a Japanese Industry Standard (2) pattern screwdriver, there is a multitool article when I had asked. Bit late for me as I now have a workshop tool (shipped from Japan at a very reasonable rate) and I have moved on from Shimano to Rohloff and Hope on my every day ride. Was looking at a very nice green disk trueing tool at those good people at Abbeytools and scrolled through their fine collection.  The JIS is one of the many options, and it's in green, of course.

https://www.abbeybiketools.com/products/4-way?variant=3439001567262

hawkinspeter replied to ktache | 1 year ago
0 likes

ktache wrote:

One maybe for our tool addicted squirrel friend, well I have finally discovered a multi tool featuring a Japanese Industry Standard (2) pattern screwdriver, there is a multitool article when I had asked. Bit late for me as I now have a workshop tool (shipped from Japan at a very reasonable rate) and I have moved on from Shimano to Rohloff and Hope on my every day ride. Was looking at a very nice green disk trueing tool at those good people at Abbeytools and scrolled through their fine collection.  The JIS is one of the many options, and it's in green, of course.

https://www.abbeybiketools.com/products/4-way?variant=3439001567262

I did buy some JIS bits (standard hex drive) ages ago, but haven't wanted to use them yet - less fettling required with Di2, but I've got them for when I need them. That multitool does look very shiny, so my inner goblin is intrigued and I'll likely check out their catalogue. From the pictures, it looks like that multitool doesn't split into two pieces which is a shame as it's a slightly awkward shape.

kil0ran replied to hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
3 likes

A good JIS screwdriver is essential for working on the free stroke adjustment for Shimano MTB brake levers. Tiny soft screw used and a standard Philips will just round it out. Quite why they insist on using this rather than a hex bolt is beyond me. Same driver is also great for limit screws of course.

David9694 | 1 year ago
1 like

Chain splitter and at one time, also joiner and chain link pliers. The memory is fading fast now, but on 5-8s you can splice chains to your heart's content. 

you drove a rivet out so only a little bit protruded on the inside and with a bit of a bend, split the chain. You could then drive another rivet all the way out and then rejoin. If it was stiff you'd drive it on a fraction and then moving to the spreader slots drove it back by about a quarter or half a turn. I don't know how that worked. 

ktache replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
0 likes

It did work though.

I think Pilot Pete has discussed some weakness in a redriven rivet, as I remember there is some peening on the head of the good rivet, which is removed when redriving it. Campag has its own peening tool.

https://www.ukbikefactory.com/park-ct11-rivet-peening-tool-for-campagnol...

Parks version is fairly reasonable, campag's is about £140.

andystow | 1 year ago
4 likes

Hexes and hexes and hexes, plus a couple of Torx. I find myself using the T handles the most just because they're easiest to get out.

David9694 replied to andystow | 1 year ago
1 like

This looks like one of those neat set-ups...

Secret_squirrel replied to andystow | 1 year ago
0 likes

Those T-handles are interesting what make are they?

andystow replied to Secret_squirrel | 1 year ago
0 likes

Secret_squirrel wrote:

Eklind. I think I bought them from Menard's, a US chain of big box hardware stores. Fairly inexpensive and they've taken some abuse well.

https://www.menards.com/main/tools/hand-tools/hex-wrenches/eklind-reg-me...

David9694 | 1 year ago
1 like

Oh brilliant Mr Shimano, clap clap clap, fan of the M324 and M520 pedals as I am, you've really set a trap for the unwary - you can dismantle the bearings with standard tools, but you have to track down these gizmos (for the cost as a new pair of pedals) to reassemble and - bonus - they're different.  

The tap is a l/h pedal tap I managed to track down on Ebay from China.  Pedal decided randomly to unwind itself one day and a fair bit of damage was done before I realised.  Worth a try, I guess.

There is a service that can fix damaged crank threads with a helicoil; here's where you need a jig because if it's even slightly off you'll feel it.  But  I don't think it's economic unless they're your granddad's Super Record cranks that he won the Milk Race on in like 1970 that you've nadgerred. 

Secret_squirrel replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
0 likes

David9694 wrote:

There is a service that can fix damaged crank threads with a helicoil; 

most LBS's can do a helicoil. Mine can at least. Sometimes screwing a good quality Steel axle pedal in from the back of the crank is enough too.  Spot of locktite afterwards optional. 

IanMSpencer replied to Secret_squirrel | 1 year ago
1 like

Screwing something from the other side is always goto fix no. 1 for a damaged thread - removes the minimum amount of material, and is often enough to push the thread back in place, and often there are far more threads than are actually needed to create enough friction for a bolt to stay firmly in in place if there is some damage.

Try 2 is a thread cutter - Park Tool do excellent ones of course. Every LBS can do that. Unfortunately removes metal - better for cleaning threads - my main job was for things like downtube adjusters on Specialized bikes which back in the day always seemed to need drilling out because nobody ever used them and never lubricated them and then you want to fine adjust a front derailleur (hoorah for Shimano finally putting an adjuster on the FD!).

Helicoils - expensive and time to fit, often it seems to be the left hand side crank that people have stuffed up, and that is often the cheaper fix to replace than a helicoil. Any decent bike shop has their magic corner of goodies with a few saved left hand cranks lurking.

Woldsman replied to Secret_squirrel | 1 year ago
0 likes

Secret_squirrel wrote:

Looks like a set of EKLIND Cushion Grip Hex T-Key Allen Wrenches.  Example here: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eklind-Rek55166-Metric-Handle-Hexagon/dp/B0000C...

David9694 | 1 year ago
1 like

Here's an item I think you don't need - spoke tension meter.  

Now, there's a parallel to gardening here, which I've attempted to do this year for the first time really since childhood.  We wanted to do a wild flower patch. The instructions for the so-called wild flowers said you had to prepare a seed bed, fine tilth.
Yeah, right, they're wild, so I just sprinkled them around the grass, didn't mow it and waited. Well, that went well - a patch of long grass.  

So it goes with wheel building and spoke tensions.  "Ping" on the drive side, "pong" on the non-drive - or the other way around - but the point it's simple and instinctive.  Wheel build instructions sound like such a bunch of old women some times.  In my case, it's been 5 happy years since my first wheel build, so that must count for something - right?

hawkinspeter replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
0 likes

David9694 wrote:

Here's an item I think you don't need - spoke tension meter.  

Now, there's a parallel to gardening here, which I've attempted to do this year for the first time really since childhood.  We wanted to do a wild flower patch. The instructions for the so-called wild flowers said you had to prepare a seed bed, fine tilth.
Yeah, right, they're wild, so I just sprinkled them around the grass, didn't mow it and waited. Well, that went well - a patch of long grass.  

So it goes with wheel building and spoke tensions.  "Ping" on the drive side, "pong" on the non-drive - or the other way around - but the point it's simple and instinctive.  Wheel build instructions sound like such a bunch of old women some times.  In my case, it's been 5 happy years since my first wheel build, so that must count for something - right?

I've got one of those and only used it once or twice. I found it fiddly to measure each spoke and slightly unnecessary as I tend to go by the feel/sound of the spoke. When building/trueing, it's easy enough to figure out which spokes need adjusting to move the rim where you want it.

Maybe I should dig out my various spoke keys as I swear they must be breeding.

David9694 replied to hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
1 like

Pretty sure I got Spokey from Freewheel back in the '80s. 

0 likes

I've got one of those, but don't know where it came from.

Here's the spoke tools I could find easily. I've included the rubbish one you get with the Park Tools tensionometer and also an aero spoke holder (expensive piece of black plastic with slots in it). I'm sure I've got a long nipple driver (missus!) somewhere, but can't find it and it's easier to just use a normal spoke key in my opinion.

I also found an NBT2 cassette lockring remover (https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m13b0s72p595/NBT2-%28Next-Best-Thing%29-Cassette-lockring-remover) so that's in the photo too. Never used it as it looks like it'd trash a frame in my careless hands.

David9694 replied to hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
0 likes

I've got one Mavic wheelset with aero spokes - do they twist more than round ones, or is it that you can have a holder for them? 

0 likes

David9694 wrote:

I've got one Mavic wheelset with aero spokes - do they twist more than round ones, or is it that you can have a holder for them? 

The problem is that twisted aero spokes look bad and defeat the whole purpose of them. Also, being straight pull spokes, they will twist more than J-spokes as they can pivot all the way round.

As for a suitable tool, you could easily just make a slot in a bit of wood that would work as well. Pliers would work, but you'd want to protect the spoke a bit.

ChasP replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
0 likes

There's a mavic tool for that

David9694 | 1 year ago
2 likes

Bottom bracket facing and thread cleaning set.

Do you face a new steel frame before or after painting?  before = risk of it being uneven again, after = risk of a rust spot. 

David9694 | 1 year ago
2 likes

Here we have a star nut setter, headset cup remover (1")  and the ubiquitous hammer (Park Tools one £33).

Pages

Latest Comments