Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tips for selling a bike on ebay?

Hi,

I have a very lightly used Specialized Tricross Sport Disc I'm looking to sell. I have sold on ebay previously, but never anything of this size and value. Ideally I'd like someone to collect it so I don't have the hassle of dismantling / boxing / posting, though I appreciate that restricts the market a bit. Any tips or considerations for a smooth, safe and hassle-free bike sale? 

As ever, I'm sure there are already helpful posts in the forum, but sadly the new interface doesn't really help to find them.

Thanks in anticipation.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

quiff | 3 years ago
0 likes

Decided to dip a toe back in the ebay water (I hadn't sold on it since the mid-noughties) by selling some other less risky stuff first before listing a bike. I've since done one Paypal + Collection transaction and, for what it's worth, the collection code system worked well, though it took a while to work out you can only use it through the app, and where exactly in the app you enter it. 

Along the way, I've made a very pleasing couple of hundred quid out of what, to me, was clutter (turns out Minidiscs have a cult following - I'm now slightly regretting selling that!) and I may now be an ebay addict.

This may however all be academic when it comes to the bike, as my dad has now asked to borrow it as an indoor trainer...       

Velophaart_95 | 3 years ago
1 like

I've sold 4-5 bikes on ebay, and I'm more than happy to sort out the delivery of it. It's just a case of removing the wheels, seatpost, and if required the handlebars. 

I really don't know what the probelm is with this...

Put as much info in as possible; plenty of decent photos, a description of what type, even a link online to the correct model. Oh, and wash it - I've seen plenty on sale which look awful. 

Personally, I'm always put off bikes when the buyer wants cash on collection, especially in the current Covid situation; we shouldn't be driving across the country to collect a bike. That is what couriers are for.

Jigzy99 | 3 years ago
1 like

Personally I would break it up and sell it separately (on a £1 weekend). I couldn't sell my Supersix Evo Hi Mod for £1500 on Ebay but broke it up and sold the parts (Ultegra 6870 Di2 / Hunt Aero wheels (alloy)) and frame for just under £2000 in total.  There is such a dearth of parts nationally that parts are going for high prices if in good condition.  Good luck whatever you decide to do.

quiff | 3 years ago
1 like

Thanks for all the helpful replies. It does look like ebay now (as of late 2020) has a way of confirming collection, to avoid "item not delivered" and chargeback issues, so that may make PayPal less risky. I'm just conscious that buyers might rightly be a little wary of the safety of cash on collection (I would be), and I think ebay's terms mean you have to offer PayPal anyway (though I'm sure that's honoured in the breach). Of course, using a courier would avoid these issues, but then you get potential issues around damage in transit instead. Clearly I'm just a born worrier. I might get back into the swing of ebay with some smaller, less risky items first!   

Dnnnnnn replied to quiff | 3 years ago
1 like

Yes, you should get a collection code (six digit or QR code) from the buyer if collecting in person. Don't release the goods without it.

Captain Badger replied to quiff | 3 years ago
0 likes
quiff wrote:

Thanks for all the helpful replies. It does look like ebay now (as of late 2020) has a way of confirming collection, to avoid "item not delivered" and chargeback issues, so that may make PayPal less risky. I'm just conscious that buyers might rightly be a little wary of the safety of cash on collection (I would be), and I think ebay's terms mean you have to offer PayPal anyway (though I'm sure that's honoured in the breach). Of course, using a courier would avoid these issues, but then you get potential issues around damage in transit instead. Clearly I'm just a born worrier. I might get back into the swing of ebay with some smaller, less risky items first!   

You have to offer it, by dint of your not being able to turn it off, however fleabay can't compel you to accept it.
Fleabay is notoriously dodgy on using PP to claw back money for refunds, even when delivery or pickup has been confirmed. Yes you would win if you went to county court (my understanding is that fleabay rarely even contests), but you just want to sell your bike.
In addition PP charges commission on the transaction, which you might want to avoid

Captain Badger | 3 years ago
1 like

I would not use PP for that amount of money. Strictly cash on collect only. 

IF you do it on Fleabay, state the above clearly. If someone pays PP, refund and clarify that you are only taking cash.

When they collect, have the bike in the hallway and conduct the sale at the front door - you don't want strangers scoping your back garden and seeing what's in your shed/garage.

Mungecrundle | 3 years ago
0 likes

Beware of scammers wanting to deal outside of eBay. Anything along the lines of "Just what I want, but I live overseas, can my mate collect it and give you a (fraudulent) cheque?"

Even with bank transfers, make sure the payment has fully cleared into your account, not just been credited as a nominal deposit, before sending goods or having them collected.

Having said that, I'm a bit wary of eBay at the moment, I've not been bitten myself, but my feeling is that at the first sniff of a buyer wanting their money back for any reason, up to and including that they just don't want to pay for it, eBay will credit them leaving you with a big hole where payment for the item used to be and a headache to get your stuff back. Plenty of horror stories from sellers on t'internet.

Truffl3Shuffl3 | 3 years ago
6 likes

In my opinion the most crucial thing you can do when selling a bike is put the size of the frame in the title and description. So many good bikes/frames are missed opportunities because people don't bother listing this, or bury it somewhere in the description.

Make sure you list in cm and the generic size (so M or L or whatever).

kil0ran | 3 years ago
3 likes

I've sold three four five and bought two. 

What's always worked for me as a seller:

• Plenty of good photos. Make sure you state in the description that these are of the bike for sale and that they form part of the description.
  • Keep a record of the serial number of the frame and any expensive parts
  • Offer cash on collection. Never offer Paypal/collection (although I think eBay have improved that process recently) - reason being that you can't prove delivery/collection and open yourself up to Paypal chargebacks
  • Use cycling language in the description - more likely to attract someone who knows what they're looking for, and more likely to attract a cyclist (and, as we know, all cyclists are awesome)
  • Try to sell to someone who has asked you questions, rather than just bidding on the item, cuts down on NPBs/chancers/timewasters
  • State your terms for collection - how soon you want it collected, COVID-secure stuff
  • Offer local delivery at cost (e.g. 10p per mile) if you've got something you can transport the bike with. I've done that a lot as a buyer and seller of all sorts of stuff. Usually a 30-mile radius
  • Prepare a bill of sale - sold as seen and as described, with a description of the item. I got the buyer to address, sign and date a copy of the listing for one bike I sold which went for over £1k
  • Use your spidey-sense, if something doesn't feel right, it probably isn't. If doing delivery/meeting someone in a dingy car park, make sure there's someone with you
  • Count the cash - and hand it to someone else
  • If doing collection from home don't let them see your other bikes. Likewise, make sure they arrive alone and there isn't someone casing the joint. Probably won't happen with a Tricross but my next door neighbours got their bikes nicked after selling a 50-quid clunker.
  • Likewise don't do the "I'm only selling this because I've got a Trek Madone Project One arriving" bragging
  • Don't offer "Arrange your own courier" - that way lies hassle and leaves you open for claims of damage.

Ultimately, you'll get a feel for whether they're legit, and most people are. I've ended up having a cuppa and malt loaf with most people I've sold bikes to.

As Dapple says, definitely wait for a £1 listing weekend if you can. Will save you ££ on the likely sale price of a Tricross.

kil0ran replied to kil0ran | 3 years ago
0 likes

One other thing to add to this thread. If dealing in cash, specify that the buyer pays with polymer £20 notes, much less risk of forgery and easier to count.

Dapple | 3 years ago
1 like

I'm not sure specifying collection-only will be that much of a negative, mainly due to how hard it is to get a bike currently.  I sold two bikes on eBay last year and was amazed at the level of interest.  One was in good condition and I sold it for just under what I paid for it a few years prior.  The other needed a lot of attention (which I was very clear about), but was snapped up on the same day that I put up the listing.

Always worth waiting to see if eBay do one of their '£1 maximum fee' weekends, and see if you can use their own payment service, rather than PayPal to save on fees.

Dnnnnnn replied to Dapple | 3 years ago
0 likes

Dapple wrote:

Always worth waiting to see if eBay do one of their '£1 maximum fee' weekends, and see if you can use their own payment service, rather than PayPal to save on fees.

Definitely the £1 max periods - you don't want to be paying tens of £ when you can pay £1.
Ebay are changing the payment terms so that paying into your bank account (rather than via PayPal) is the default: this should save you a little more in costs - although I haven't looked into the detail of this yet:
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments/Is-eBay-dropping-Paypal/td-p/3152...

When I've sold bikes, I've listed details of the spec and tried to include appealing or interesting details/benefits. Keep it fairly factual though - opinions ("this bike will boost your speed!") may be open to interpretation and buyers may be unhappy if they understand differently.

Plenty photos too - not everyone cares what (e.g.) the rear mech is or looks like - but the type of people who read road.cc might! Lots of good photos on the listing also protects you from vexacious claims that "the bike wasn't as described".

Collection in person is obviously convenient but courier costs aren't very high either and you can easily pick up a suitable box from a bike shop. Your choice of course - it mightn't be worth the hassle for the possibility of another (e.g.) £25. It does mean they're less likely to return the goods though!

EddyBerckx replied to Dnnnnnn | 3 years ago
0 likes

Duncann wrote:

Dapple wrote:

Definitely the £1 max periods - you don't want to be paying tens of £ when you can pay £1.
Ebay are changing the payment terms so that paying into your bank account (rather than via PayPal) is the default: this should save you a little more in costs - although I haven't looked into the detail of this yet:
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments/Is-eBay-dropping-Paypal/td-p/3152...

When I've sold bikes, I've listed details of the spec and tried to include appealing or interesting details/benefits. Keep it fairly factual though - opinions ("this bike will boost your speed!") may be open to interpretation and buyers may be unhappy if they understand differently.

Plenty photos too - not everyone cares what (e.g.) the rear mech is or looks like - but the type of people who read road.cc might! Lots of good photos on the listing also protects you from vexacious claims that "the bike wasn't as described".

Collection in person is obviously convenient but courier costs aren't very high either and you can easily pick up a suitable box from a bike shop. Your choice of course - it mightn't be worth the hassle for the possibility of another (e.g.) £25. It does mean they're less likely to return the goods though!

I think eBay changing from using PayPal to using your bank account etc won't save you money - they claw the money back in their normal charges. So basically they are closing that loophole (you'll get charged even if you take cash)

Dapple replied to EddyBerckx | 3 years ago
2 likes

That's not true in my experience. I always sell on the £1 max fee weekends and recently the only fee I've paid is £1 whereas previously I had PayPal taking a cut.

On a point that kil0ran made above - eBay do offer a way of confirming collection these days.  The buyer gets a QR code / number that you can either scan or enter upon collection to confirm it's been taken.

Latest Comments