Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Trek Domane SL6 or SLR6 or something else?

Hi all,
After a long layoff I've got back on my 2009 Boardman Team Carbon road bike and I think I have the bug back to do more hours in the saddle. My road racing and TT years are behind me now (50 last year) and I'm looking for something more comfortable, I didn't even know endurance bikes existed, until I started looking last week! It sounds like the thing I need for comfy miles.
After doing some online research I'm rather confused. The Trek Domane SL6 looks great as does the Specialized Roubaix Comp. Then I started looking at the SLR 6 and wondered how much of a difference there is in between the two. I realise the frame is different and something like 200g lighter but the weight difference doesn't interest me, I can make up more than that by stopping drinking beer for a week or two. So the SL6 is £3,200 and the SLR6 is £5,400.

The big question is, what would I be getting for the extra 2K? And if I was to go for the SLR6, is there anything else I should be looking at? I don't want to spend the extra if it's not a big difference in the real world.
Any advice would be greatly welcomed!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

Canyon48 | 3 years ago
1 like

Hi Mark,

That extra 2k goes on the frame material and improved wheels. The SLR6 is made out of a higher modulus (stronger) carbon, therefore the frame can be made lighter. It also comes with midsection aero carbon wheels. The SLR6 also has an AWESOME paint scheme. The SLR6 is a lighter and faster bike.

Don't fall into the trap of "that's too much bike for me", who cares, if you want the super fancy bike, get it. That said, in terms of performance, unless you spend all your rides smashing around at over 18mph, you won't notice a huge difference in performance.

In my opinion, if you were looking at spending that amount of money, I would look at the Canyon Endurace CF SLX https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road-bikes/endurance-bikes/endurace/endurac...

Similar price, but with integrated bars and stem, top of the range groupset and significantly lighter than the SLR6 (it doesn't have mudguard mounts though).

Also worth pointing out the Canyon Endurace CF SL comes in at £2600 but is 1.7kg less than the Trek Domane SL6. https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road-bikes/endurance-bikes/endurace/endurac...

I've ridden a Domane and I loved it, however, they aren't the best value for money. I've also ridden a Canyon Endurace (my other half owns one), it's a fantastic bike too, it's significantly lighter and significantly cheaper than the Domane SL6.

If you you are adamant that you need mudguard mounts (which the Canyon doesn't have) it is also worth considering the Whyte Wessex, £2250 and comes in 300 grams lighter than the SL6. https://whyte.bike/products/wessex This is the bike I use for commuting and winter riding. Again, a great bike, but a little bit heavy compared to others.

markgixer6 replied to Canyon48 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the advice @Canyon48 i really appreciate it. Not too sure about the comfort level on the Canyon Endurace CF SL from from the reviews I've read. The weight reduction over the SL6 is substantial as you say but I value comfort before weight, but certainly a consideration. 

That Whyte is a stunning looking bike! I would really like to have a good look at one of those in the flesh so to speak. 

I'm actually also thinking of just spending more and spreading the cost over a few years now. It's interest free after all. There are some amazing paint jobs on the Trek Project One website as well (although pricey of course).

I made 2 identical builds, one with SLR6 and one with SLR7. The only difference (as far as I can tell) is that one has mechanical Ultegra and the SLR7 has Di2 Ultegra. The price difference is £1,150 between the two. I might be missing something obvious, but when I check various suppliers, the cost difference between those two groupsets is about £600 - £700 (depending where you look). That doesn't seem like a value upgrade on Trek's project one build. Any thoughts as to why it is so much more?

More research to be done I think...  1

Latest Comments