Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Troublesome first time Di2 setup

Hi everyone, maybe someone has a good tip for me. I am currently failing to setup my shiny new Ultegra Di2 R8050 on my Cervelo R2 (the older one sharing the frame geometry with the Rca); First time I ever had Di2 on a bike, so I didn't expect it to be create this much trouble compared to over one and a half decades of working on mechanical equipped bikes. 

For the life of me, I can't get the Rear Derailleur cage to not touch my spokes in the biggest cog. For as good as I can tell, my hanger is straight as it should be.

When I set the L limit screw as far in as it goes, it stops rubbing (just so), but when I shift into the lowest gear, the derailleur moves over makes an electronic clicking sound and then moves back one position and drops the chain on the 10th cog instead of No. 11.

There is one way I managed to get it away from the spokes, and that was to use microadjustment so far over that it runs in the next gear up, BUT now it won't shift into the smallest cog and shifts kind of badly, skipping some gears when moving to a bigger cog and shifting sluggishly when shifting to a smaller cog;

Does anyone have any idea / advice on what I should do?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Rendel Harris | 2 years ago
1 like

When I had exactly the same problem with my older (2015) version of Di2 I followed the recommendation of someone on here and simply disconnected the battery, which effected a hard reset, never had the same problem since.

Recoveryride replied to Rendel Harris | 2 years ago
1 like

It's like IT Department bingo... 'have you tried turning it on and off again?'

Funny how often it works, though!

Recoveryride | 2 years ago
1 like

Forgive me if this is totally obvious, but you have started with the adjustment screw to set pulley distance, right?  See pic

Sequence for Di2 is

1. Set pulley distance with adjustment screws

2. Index with adjustment mode

3. Set H/L  limits

jmm replied to Recoveryride | 2 years ago
0 likes

Recoveryride wrote:

Forgive me if this is totally obvious, but you have started with the adjustment screw to set pulley distance, right?  See pic

Sequence for Di2 is

1. Set pulley distance with adjustment screws

2. Index with adjustment mode

3. Set H/L  limits

I'll go through it one more time this evening (maybe third time is lucky); My order so far was 2 and 3 switched, so maybe that's why. 

Pilot Pete replied to jmm | 2 years ago
2 likes

You would do best following the Shimano Dealer Manual guidance exactly. Page 180 onwards here https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-R8050-02-ENG.pdf

I would personally start by ensuring (rather than just thinking) your hanger is correctly aligned, using a hanger alignment tool. Even if it looks straight it can be significantly off. That will make getting precise shifting in all gears almost impossible.

Secret_squirrel replied to Pilot Pete | 2 years ago
0 likes

Pilot Pete wrote:

I would personally start by ensuring (rather than just thinking) your hanger is correctly aligned, using a hanger alignment tool. Even if it looks straight it can be significantly off. That will make getting precise shifting in all gears almost impossible.

pretty unlikely in an existing bike that's been running fine IMO.

B mech screw is the place to start as RecoveryRide noted.

I did first time di2 (grx) about 6 months ago.  I was surprised how much of a faff it was.  

Welsh boy replied to jmm | 2 years ago
0 likes

[/quote]

I'll go through it one more time this evening (maybe third time is lucky); My order so far was 2 and 3 switched, so maybe that's why. 

[/quote]

Be careful, the adjustment for the small sprocket is not the same as for a mechanical system, you need to adjust the limit screw with the chain on the small sprocket then back the screw off by one whole turn, Di2 over-shifts slightly then trims.  If you have the stop setting too tight you will hear the clicking sound you describe as the mech tries to move slightly further than the limit screw will let it

AfterPeak replied to Welsh boy | 2 years ago
1 like

This may be well off field here but check that the Derailleur has been bolted onto the frame correctly. A cross thread, or not getting correct position so that the derailleur sits on the hanger where the notch is will mean it does not sit straight and could be leaning into the wheel.

Latest Comments