Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Trust the training plan or go with my gut?

Have a bit of a dilemma the enlighted readers of road.cc forums might be able to help with.  Im in the middle of a Zwift training plan (week 6 of build me up) and its starting to feel a bit easy.  I already recorded a new ftp in week 4 (just a smidge higher) and I'm feeling that there is a bit more in the tank still.  I've been doing the plan plus another ride or 2 during the week - especially when TdZ was on.

So do I trust the plan and patiently wait for another session where I'll do a 20min stretch to (hopefully) register a new ftp, try to squeeze in a dedicated ftp session which might take me over the top, or just increase the next few rides difficulties to 105%?

Anyone else had the same dilemma - what worked for you?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Recoveryride | 3 years ago
0 likes

Relative to something like TrainerRoad, the Zwift plans are fairly straightforward. But in any case, I'd try holding my ramp test FTP for at least 45 minutes before putting it up. 

Personally, I don't like ramp tests (for a variety of reasons), and would argue for a TTE threshold ride, but that's a separate subject.

Chris Hayes | 3 years ago
1 like

I'm on a 16 week programme which is currently less intense than my normal riding.  Four weeks in, I've spent the last month pootling around in HR Z2-3 in 3'C....freezing my arse off (I actually bought a warmer jacket).  

I can see looking at my calendar that it will pick up soon.  I did a road.cc one a few years ago which culminated in me doing a New Forest Sportive at 36kph (okay, flat and in perfect conditions, but my cycling did improve quite a bit).

Secret_squirrel | 3 years ago
0 likes

Ok so was planning to ramp test tomorrow but had a 1.5 hr session in the plan. So I chose a route that I thought would complement it (Quatch Quest) the training plan finished at the bottom of the AlpdZ, with the route finishing at the top.   So I went for it. Long story short my first sub 1hr climb, a 10% higher 20min ftp set and a new hr average too. So the plan seems to be working!

PRSboy | 3 years ago
2 likes

Another thing to bear in mind is that you might have different abilities at different intensities; GCN did a good video testing an MTB rider vs a roadie, the MTB rider had a great VO2max and sprint, but an indifferent FTP per the 20min test (possibly because of poor pacing). As such, the coach said if he based his training zones on FTP he would under-train. 

The advantage of the ramp test is it doesn't need to be paced. 

mdavidford | 3 years ago
0 likes

Generally no harm nudging the intensity up or down a little if it feels off. FTP should only really be a baseline guide anyway - need to find what works for you, given your personal abilities, and taking into account your current health, restedness, the time of day, etc. That might mean nudging it up on certain types of session, and down on others. Some experimentation to learn what works is a good thing.

Secret_squirrel | 3 years ago
1 like

I think the ramp test is good advice.  Will probably take that.

Jimmy Ray Will | 3 years ago
1 like

How long have you supposedly got until you are scheduled to test again?

If its only a couple of weeks, then I'd just stick to the plan.

Until recently, I'd have said to 'chase the ace' and always be pushing, but now, I'm coming round to the idea that the biggest overall, and long term gains are achieved by playing the long game. If you look at the programme, I guess load is increased either in increased intensity, or duration of effort as the weeks pass. So even if your FTP has moved on, you are still, in effect pushing your body.

At the start of the programme, you'll have been hitting intervals at the top of your range, and holding them for a shorter period. Now you are hitting the intervals at a likely lower percentage of your range, but holding the effort for longer. 

This will be asking your body questions in different ways, but it still is asking questions. That's no bad thing as it will limit the chances of burnout.

In extreme cases I've seen people stop striving for improvement as the numbers have got so big and efforts so demanding, that the fun is sucked out of it. 

So, if its only for another couple of weeks, I'd say enjoy some time not hanging out of your arse... there will be plenty of time to chew the bars after the next scheduled test. 

Rich_cb | 3 years ago
0 likes

I had, pretty much, the exact same dilemma.

I ended up manually increasing my FTP on Zwift until the sessions felt hard enough again.

When I retested a bit later my new FTP was slightly higher than my guesstimate. I think if I had continued on the lower FTP I would not have got as much benefit.

I find that a ramp test doesn't take much out of me so alternatively you could just do that on a rest day?

PRSboy | 3 years ago
0 likes

I think it depends on the session; if it were a sweetspot/ftp session I'd probably leave it as is.  For a VO2max session I might tweak the target so that it gives the right amount of stress, if I didn't feel I was being pushed hard enough (bearing in mind what can seem ok in the early intervals can be very testing at the end of a session).

Why not do a ramp test?... perhaps you tested a bit low the last time if you weren't rested, or paced the 20 min test wrong.  If you are getting your FTP from the average of Zwift events then there is the possibility that it is being understated due to drafting etc.  If you want to get a more reliable FTP from an event, try an ITT on Tempus Fugit.

Latest Comments