Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tubeless ready tyres on standard clincher rims?

Is it fine to run tubeless ready tyres on clincher wheels (Mavic Aksiums). I've been given some Tubeless ready Conti tyres but only have normal clincher wheels, can I just run these as normal with an innertube?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

ktache | 3 years ago
0 likes

Lots of talcum powder will make everything a bit slippery and helps get the bead on and get in place.

Also meant to lower rolling resistance.

It doesn't hurt it at least...

mtbtomo | 3 years ago
0 likes

You might want to run a little lower pressure than normal as the tubeless variant will probably have a thicker and less supple side wall....

mtbtomo | 3 years ago
0 likes

Yes. Depends on your rims if they're a tight fit or not. Getting Conti's onto some Reynolds rims was the hardest tyre I've ever fitted to a wheel. But the same tyre on a different brand of alloy wheel and they went on with just a pair of thumbs. And inflated tubeless straight away.

Nat Jas Moe | 3 years ago
0 likes

Yes, but you will find them a tight fit, which may cause issues getting the tyre on without pinching the tube. I run tubless and when I have had in not sealing puncture and have had to resort to an innertube it has sometimes been a struggle to say the least. Can't comment on the Conti tyres.

Latest Comments