Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tubeless Tyre for Winter recommendations ?

Hello  does anyone have any reccomendations for Tubelees winter road tyres 

I am currently using  Schwalbe pro one Tubeless , no issues at all in the summer months but have had a couple of small custs that havent sealed  and resulted in fitting a spare tube to get home. 

After searching the net i cant seem to find any specific tubeless  tyres that offer better puncture resistance .. 

Any experience or reccomendations appreciatted 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

mostly | 3 years ago
0 likes

Currently using Vittoria Terreno 32mm , been pretty good this winter. Last year I was on Specialized Roubaix pro an excellent tyre lasted me well into the summer on pretty dire roads.

Cornershopping | 3 years ago
0 likes

Hi , Thanks for the suggestions , Idealy looking for either 25mm  or 28mm , 30 would be a squeeze ,  the Vittoria pro look a good option  the offer price at Merlin helps i will  admit .. 

the little onion | 3 years ago
0 likes

I've had reasonable experiences with Hutchinson fusion all seasons: by far the easiest tyre to get on and to get to seal, and a pretty good performance on the road. Not as grippy as the Pro Ones, but good enough.

thax1 replied to the little onion | 3 years ago
0 likes

Really like those Hutchinson Fusion All Seasons. Super easy to set up tubeless and they really feel quality.

I use them Spring and Autumn now, and switch to the Uber-tough Pirelli Cinturato for the Winter when I just can't face the idea of a puncture (tubeless or otherwise!).
I get a few holes in the Hutchinsons when the flint on the roads get bad, not yet had a single hole on the Cinturatos.

The Cinturatos are noticeably slower, but I don't really care when I'm on the heavy winter bike with guards rattling, potholes hidden under deep puddles, and no feeling left in my extremities!

emjay49 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Like you, I run Schwalbe Pro One Tubeless and they are a bit soft for winter use. I switch these out to Schwalbe G One speed when the weather turns and they are really robust on the roads that I ride. The grip is excellent and I cannot remember seeing a cut or having a problem with these. You don,t say what width you can accomodate as these start at 30mm. 

MrMoo replied to emjay49 | 3 years ago
0 likes

+1 for the G one speeds. So easy to install and don't leak much air at all. Had several thorns from hedge cutting pulled out and sealed instantly. Grip has been good in the ice and slush recently too. 

Miller | 3 years ago
0 likes

The Goodyear Eagle All-Season TLR is a proper tough tyre, mine feel like they'd plough through anything undamaged.

//live.staticflickr.com/65535/49673067896_dd1952d6ef_c.jpg)

Joe Totale | 3 years ago
0 likes

The Pirelli Cinturato is one of the toughest road tyres that Bicycle Rolling Resistance has ever tested so would certainly meet your criteria although I've not tried them myself:

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/

I am currently using the Vittoria Rubino Pro tubeless tyres and they seem pretty tough to me, no punctures yet. Rubino's have a reputation for being durable 4 season training tyres so I'm hoping these are the same.

They were quite tight to fit but that meant they seated with a foot pump.

A bonus is that Merlin Cycles are selling them for £27 each which is pretty cheap for tubeless tyres.

Cornershopping replied to Joe Totale | 3 years ago
0 likes

Hi , many thanks ill have a look at the Vittoria , i have the conti 5000's on another set of wheels they were a struggle to get on , nothing can be as difficult as them hopefully 

Joe Totale replied to Cornershopping | 3 years ago
0 likes

Having also had experience of GP5000 TL's I can confirm that the Rubino's are much easier than them to fit so you'll be fine!

Latest Comments