Two abreast is best?

I had a ride yesterday with my 15 year old son. We were riding two abreast for a lot of the time, mostly on quiet roads but a stretch on a busyish road - the Colchester to Maldon road in Essex, aka the B1022.

It was at this point we got grief from some idiots - honking, close passes and shouting. We weren't doing anything wrong yet we were hounded and I would say a bit scared by the experience.

I thought the Highway Code was pretty clear and that two abreast is best and better for those behind as they can do it quicker. The Code however is rather more ambivalent, stating, at para. 66:

"never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends"

It's galling to think that these cretins may have been right and on busy roads - basically where there are two cars or more behind you (?) - single file is better..

I'd be interested to know what other members of this forum think is safest and indeed what is meant by "busy".

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Latest Comments