Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tyre change

Hello there I have been running on schwalbe pro one tubeless last year but have decided as I have a side wall slash to return to tubes as I have to replace the tyres .

I do a mix of sports touring and general road cycling have been looking at the continental gp5000 700x30 any comments on these ? Also what sort of pressure can I run these at ? i weight only 75kg I know I will have to run these higher than my tubeless pro ones but on the conti website they suggest for the standard clincher 102 PSI which seems very high and I assume will give a pretty harsh ride .

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

27 comments

rdaddict | 1 year ago
0 likes

102 psi for a 30mm tyre sounds a lot, surely that's the maximum recommended pressure?
I have used Conti GP 4 season tyres in 28mm at 70 psi and they performed brilliantly with no punctures. In the winter months I use 28mm Michelin Pro 4 Endurance which have proved to be most puncture resistant thanks to the bead to bead protection. I'm currently running 28mm Vredestein Senso Superiores with Revoloop Race Inner tubes at 75psi and the combination is a real winner!

srchar | 1 year ago
2 likes

I've found that Veloflex clinchers with latex tubes are "nicer" to ride than any tubeless road tyre I've tried, and feel very similar to tubulars, except when cornering hard, where tubulars really do show up clinchers and tubeless IMHO.

I wouldn't use latex tubes with rim brakes, and I do have to pump them up every other day, but I unwittingly find myself in the Luddite camp when it comes to tyres.

pablo | 1 year ago
1 like

Why do people run such high pressures? I'm 83kg GP4000 and 5000 through the winter 80psi on a 25mm tyre. Pro ones tubeless on 303s 58psi. Punctures in 4 years 15000miles = zero.

IanMSpencer replied to pablo | 1 year ago
1 like

Easy, because it's only in the last 10 years that running lower pressure has been a thing on road bikes. Before then 23mm with at least 100psi was considered the correct thing.

You will still find plenty of people who don't read up on cycling stuff will not have changed their thinking. They are also encouraged by sidewall printing which quotes a maximum pressure which, like speed limits, people often treat as targets.

hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
1 like

I'm starting to think that I should bump up the pressure in my tyres after reading the comments. I'm running 28mm GP5000TLs tubeless and I aim for around or just below 70psi. I usually let them drop air pressure over time and so quite often ride around on approx 60psi.

(Just weighed myself and *gulp* just gone over 100kgs)

Hirsute replied to hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
3 likes

Too many nuts !

emjay49 replied to hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
2 likes

Same ...sort of 60 /65 front and 65/70 rear seems to be my sweet spot on 28s.

kil0ran | 1 year ago
0 likes

Good luck finding some GP5000s. And equally good luck in getting them on your rims, man they're tight

kinderje replied to kil0ran | 1 year ago
0 likes

Agree. My 4000's had worn out so changed to the 5000's I had bought last year. I sweated more getting them on than I would if I'd spent an hour on the turbo - they were horrible to put on.

Chris Hayes replied to kinderje | 1 year ago
0 likes

I found the 5000s tight - it helps if you ensure the tyre bead inside the rim is in the centre of the rim where the diameter is smaller

Jimwill replied to Chris Hayes | 1 year ago
0 likes

I found my pzeros much harder to fit.
I hang mine in front of a fire for a few mins, my theory is it gives them a bit of stretch

kil0ran replied to kinderje | 1 year ago
1 like

Schwalbe levers are the key to a (happier) fitting experience. Pin the bead in with two levers (at about the five to one position on the clock face) use the third to lift it over the rim bit by bit. As each bit goes in slide the pinning levers along the hook.

IanMSpencer replied to kil0ran | 1 year ago
0 likes

I was pleased and surprised to get them (5000TLs) on my Giant rims without levers and even more surprised to get them inflate without sealant with just a track pump.

As others have said, there is a trick to getting any tyre on, forcing the bead into the rim well, and then, holding the tyre against your stomach, supported with your knees, push as much slack as you can towards the rim furthest away from you. Repeat this, a few mm of movement makes a massive difference.

The critical point is always when there is about 15-20cm of tyre remaining, working each end over the rim. If you can get it down to between 5-10cm it then will pop over by hand. I've got some Schwalbe soapy stuff that came with a set of Pro Ones that I have used to help, but usually don't bother. I try to avoid tyre levers on tubeless in case you dent the bead.

dabba | 1 year ago
0 likes

I'm 73kgs and run Conti GP 5000 700x28 on the carbon and titanium road fleet, all at 90-100 psi. The steel ebike and titanium tourer both wear 700x35 Conti Top Contact 2 at 80-85 psi regardless of load. I've had the tour AUW up to ~130 kgs on occasion in Australia, so a lot of variability is affected by the amount of camping gear and water that I'm carrying. Normally I'll carry 3-4 litres of water for a day, but it's been as high as 8 litres for temperatures up to 40°C and depending upon the distance. I've been using both of these tyres for a few years and have been pleased with their puncture resistance, durability and low rolling resistance. 

I've tried lowering the pressures to the various recommended levels, but all of the bikes felt not as surefooted as they are with the higher pressure. I guess the pressure ultimately comes down to how comfortable you feel riding at the different pressures.

andystow | 1 year ago
0 likes

Here's a new tire pressure calculator based on the experiments Jan Heine has done on real roads.

https://www.renehersecycles.com/tire-pressure-calculator/

Here's an article on the science behind it.

https://www.renehersecycles.com/the-science-behind-the-tire-pressure-cal...

ktache replied to andystow | 1 year ago
2 likes

Hey, when using the calculator, it gives me roughly what I have found works for my 2.1s on my 26 inch bikes.

Gets a nod from me.

KDee replied to ktache | 1 year ago
1 like

ktache wrote:

Hey, when using the calculator, it gives me roughly what I have found works for my 2.1s on my 26 inch bikes.

Gets a nod from me.

And a nod from me too. Running 32mm Conti GP5000 TL's front and rear, at about 55 and 60psi, which is pretty close to the recommendation.

OnYerBike replied to andystow | 1 year ago
1 like

Shame the calculator doesn't go down to 25mm tyres which unfortunately is the widest that will fit on my very retro (2015) road bike...

Simon E replied to OnYerBike | 1 year ago
1 like

For 700x25 I use rider weight (in kg) in the front tyre, adding 5-10 psi for the rear.

But that should be a starting point - you may prefer to run your tyres softer / firmer than those values.

SilverBugle | 1 year ago
0 likes

I have GP5000 32 (rear) and Shwalbe Pro 30 (front) on my road bike, both with tubes (rim is Mavic Open Pro so quite narrow). I run them both at 70 psi and 2 years in performance and puncture resistance has been very good.  

Simon E | 1 year ago
2 likes

With a rider weight of 75kg and tyre size 700x30 with inner tubes I'd suggest you start with:

60 psi (4.1 bar) front

65 psi (4.5 bar) rear

Adjust each in 5 psi or 0.5 bar steps either side and go with what you think feels best, don't take anyone else's preference as gospel. Tyre sidewall numbers are irrelevant (though I wouldn't exceed the max).

If you add panniers or backpacking bags then ~10 psi more in the rear would be a good idea.

IanMSpencer replied to Simon E | 1 year ago
2 likes

Have to agree. Not sure what Conti are on with their web site magic pressure number with no explanation.

Mind you I was equally baffled by Hunt wheels who on their All Road 30 claim it is good for 100psi with 28s, but mysteriously with 30-32mm they mandate a maximum pressure of 70psi - which then drops to 50psi at 33 - baffling that a 3% change in tyre diameter needs a 25% reduction in tyre pressure. I have some 38s with a recommended pressure range of 50-75psi and Hunt are saying maximum of 45psi. They also don't say whether this is for tubed or tubeless, though they do explain why lower pressures are better.

WIth tubes, aside from feel, you do have to be conscious of how the tyre deforms on hitting a pot hole - too soft and it is welcome to the world of snake bite punctures. One of the joys of tubeless is riding fairly soft without the risk of a snake bite, in fact I tend not to worry to much about avoiding minor potholes these days aside from taking weight out of the saddle.

Jimwill | 1 year ago
0 likes

Had gp5000s 700x25 on my roadbike over a year no problems. And got a pair in 700x23 on my tt also tried pirelli p zeros on tt.
Pressure wise I just pump everything to 100. Can get bumpy

jaysa replied to Jimwill | 1 year ago
0 likes

Similarly, been running gp5000 700x25 clinchers on deep carbon rims. At 63kg bodyweight, 70F 75R is a good balance between roadholding and speed for me ...

100psi for 700x30 sounds nuts unless you're riding a lorry instead of a bike!

emjay49 | 1 year ago
0 likes

If you have slashed the sidewall then it makes no difference what tyre your running. I've been running Pro Ones Tubeless for years and they are no better or worse then any other premium fast tyre for damage. Going back to tubes will only increase the chances of a ride spoiled by a puncture

hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
0 likes

I'm sure you know, but Pro Ones are known to be delicate, so maybe try out the tubeless GP5000s if you want the benefits of tubeless with a bit more robustness.

Spangly Shiny | 1 year ago
0 likes

Latest Comments