Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Ultegra RD-6700 GS Rear Derailleur - Hard To Find?

I was hoping that someone could solve a bit of a mystery for me.
I recently upgraded my wife's bike to 11-speed and listed the old 10-speed bits on eBay rather than just bin them. I was somewhat surprised (absolutely gobsmacked) when the rear derailleur (Ultegra 6700 medium cage), which I started at 99 cents (eBay USA site) sold for over $270!!
Are these things rare as rocking-horse shit? Any ideas why it would sell for that price?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

ktache | 4 years ago
0 likes

I have retired her now, and am currently mothballing her, but befere I got my new bike (The Ultimate Commuter) replacing the cassette on my Getting to Work Bike was becoming a bit too expensive, as I could not put anything less than shimano's CS M737 on her, 8 speed, even though she was only 7 speed on the back, (but trying to get a 7 speed hub), back in the day less than £30, now NOS around £110, and that's with international postage having to be added.  I think the last one I found was £90, to be kept just in case.

Oh and finding quality 26 inch rim brake rims, once Mavic stopped making their wonderful XC717s.

These are consumable products, which I would not wish to chance buying 2nd hand, unlike a derailleur, and so as their quantity declines, their price increases.

The last 9 speed XTR cassette I got was £150, apparently (hopefully) fitted and never ridden.  But that's my good bike, and even though it was never the intention the new bike is more capable off road then the good Ti XC bike, though much heavier.  So might last some time.

The "UC" was Rohloffed, in a hope to stop the cycle of redundancy, with the rear cog costing £19, and no options in quality or flashness.

srchar | 4 years ago
1 like

I had a similarly good surprise when I sold some 6600 shifters. I guess some people really love 10-speed.

Sniffer replied to srchar | 4 years ago
0 likes

It must be the matching thing for people. 

With trickle down modern Tiagra 10 speed will be just as good as old 10 speed Ultegra.

I recently bought a new rear mech for my commuter bike that runs a hotch-potch of 10 speed.  It replaced an Ultegra 6700 mech that had been on a couple of bikes.  RD-5701 105, it was less than £30.  Looking now they are a bit dearer, but nowhere near the costs of the old Ultegra stuff.  You can get a Tiagra one for less than £20.

srchar replied to Sniffer | 4 years ago
1 like

I'm not sure about that - 6600 was really very refined indeed. I seem to remember 6700 getting panned by the cycling press on release, as it was a backward step...

One of the great things about 10-speed is that everything just works together nicely, no matter what series or age - that goes for both Shimano and Campag. I have a mix of newer Veloce and old Centaur and Super Record on my commuter, all working together nicely.

matthewn5 replied to srchar | 4 years ago
0 likes

Yes, Ultegra 6600 was beautiful to use, and it was all shiny silver too. Those were the days! Yes it had external cables but the smooth curve of cable certainly made for a nice shift...

theslowcyclistxx | 4 years ago
1 like

Are you serious? I stockpiled around seven or eight of these medium cage rd for my own 10 speed. Maybe I should go on ebay!

pwake replied to theslowcyclistxx | 4 years ago
0 likes

Yes, totally serious. And when I looked at the bid history there were three bidders right in the running up unti labout $250. Better get them listed!

theslowcyclistxx replied to pwake | 4 years ago
0 likes

And yours was even used?

pwake replied to theslowcyclistxx | 4 years ago
0 likes

Yes. Only used indoors on a trainer, but still used.

matthewn5 | 4 years ago
1 like

I was looking for a 105 10 speed long cage RD for my wife's bike, which I'd put a bigger cassette on for her... yes, they seem very hard to find from that era, and I paid a premium for a NOS one from Germany.

Latest Comments