Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Upgrade Campag Centaur Crankset

I have a condor italia from around 2009 with a Campag Centaur groupset. I'm not as fit as i'd like to be so i'm finding hills a struggle and would like to fit a smaller inner chainring. The crankset I have is 50/39 with BCD of 135mm, I don't think I can fit a smaller inner chainring, so I would like to know what options I have to fit a new crankset. This isn't a valuable bike so ideally i'd be shopping at the budget end of the spectrum.
Alternatively, is there an option of swapping the 10 speed 12-28 cassette to something more like a 12-34?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

ErnieC | 3 years ago
0 likes

Are you not able to get a 34 chainring? I am using a Centaur 50/34 (Ultratorque) but unsure of the BCD so may well be wrong. Will go measure and get back to you. 

Achtervolger replied to ErnieC | 3 years ago
0 likes

I know that with Shimano and SRAM, to have compact sized inner chainring (ie down to a 34) requires a 110 BCD. Standard doubles have a 130 BCD, you'd only be able to go down to a 38.

mike the bike | 3 years ago
0 likes

I've had Centaur too John, and lovely it was.  

Assuming your Condor has a threaded BB you can swap the crankset without undue trouble, although if you are the proud owner of a Power Torque arrangement you will need to find a 14mm Allen key and the correct Campag puller or, much cheaper, get an ordinary bearing puller with slim "feet".  It will do the job just as well.   Look at YouTube videos for inspiration.

Campag don't, as far as I know, make cassettes lower than 13-29 but their friends at Miche do and they offer a huge range at great prices.

Best of luck.

Latest Comments