Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

The way we live now

It's a bit "thoughtful" but if this doesn't move some people here to debate then they're having an off day.

Not the usual fare from Ranty Highwayman as he normally keeps to the facts but here's his latest on "driving culture":

https://therantyhighwayman.blogspot.com/2021/10/culture-wars.html

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Podc | 2 years ago
1 like

Interesting fairly related vid with a view on the war on cars narrative:

https://youtu.be/dqQw05Mr63E

chrisonabike replied to Podc | 2 years ago
1 like

Podc wrote:

Interesting fairly related vid with a view on the war on cars narrative:

https://youtu.be/dqQw05Mr63E

Thanks - a different angle again.  Summary: it's not quite suburbia / country vs. urban regions - people in both have similar preferences e.g. both see the downsides of cars and both want those downsides managed - ideally by moving traffic somewhere else. The difference is you can't really have the "reduced car" benefits of suburbia without a massive export of traffic - normally to the urban regions.

A detail - I like the mention of cul-de-sacs being popular especially amongst people who are strongly against limiting driving. Maybe one for a couple of people on this forum to ponder!

If you like that direction NotJustBikes has a couple of series on the whole "town and city development" topic [1] [2]. The StrongTowns movement was what gave him some direction on that. Interestingly their founder is apparently a Republican which I found slightly counterintuitive until I recalled my view of them has largely been shaped by some noisy and flamboyant types.

Another different angle on the above from a UK viewpoint - the slightly provocative "where should we put the congestion" article.

Hirsute | 2 years ago
0 likes

There is a car nearby which seems to be a w/e vehicle

LO09NEY

A 5.2L engine, speeds up to 200 mph, 0-60 in 3 seconds, 600 bhp

Just the thing for trundling around town.

chrisonabike replied to Hirsute | 2 years ago
1 like

hirsute wrote:

There is a car nearby which seems to be a w/e vehicle

LO09NEY

A 5.2L engine, speeds up to 200 mph, 0-60 in 3 seconds, 600 bhp

Just the thing for trundling around town.

Since the war on the motorist / wild undemocratic rollout of LTNs and bike lanes the school run's become a deadly serious business...

Velophaart_95 | 2 years ago
3 likes

Excellent article! How do we change the culture? It's so ingrained, and promoted as normal. 

People live their lives relying on the car; the nice job in the town/city, the house in the suburbs/semi rural, shop in an 'out of town' park, and send their kids to the best school, which is miles away; all accessed by car. They're not giving any of that up. 

brooksby | 2 years ago
4 likes

I'd just read this before coming to road.cc this morning.  It's a good read, IMO.

Latest Comments