Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

What do you look for when planning a new route?

Hi all,

A friend of mine built a running route planning app as a side project just for fun called Trail Router. Tons of people responded asking for a cycling version.

We need more input from road cyclists regarding what you look for when planning a new route. Any and all info you can provide is appreciated. Please let me know!

If you want updates and prototype demos drop your email here https://svpercycling.com

PS: I hope this doesn't violate any advertising/self-promotion terms. This isn't for profit, it's just a fun side project that people in the cycling community asked us to make.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

22 comments

Ride On | 2 years ago
2 likes

Great comments below.

Would also like an indication of the speed of the route based on the average speed of cyclists using that route then give my estimated speed based on my average speed as compared to the general average. If you follow that.

andystow | 2 years ago
1 like

I tend to use cycle.travel in the USA. Google Maps wants to put me on main roads. What I really want is maximum gravel roads and minimum busy roads.

Jem PT | 2 years ago
3 likes

Another vote for Komoot. I find it great for cycling in London - it plots a direct yet quiet route. E.g. last week I had to get from Waterloo to Stamford Hill and then back (for work) and it took me on a delightfully quiet route with very little traffic. 

Shades | 2 years ago
0 likes

Quieter roads (generally avoid A roads and dual carriageway) so look for National Cycle Network and use Cycle.travel website that specifically looks for quieter routes; Komoot (sync with the computer) and CycleStreets are useful as well..  Happy to take a longer route to avoid an unnecessary climb/descent (on a longer ride to save some energy).  Try and avoid larger towns, if possible, as lights, traffic etc slows you down.  Setting Komoot with Cycle Touring often identifies good cycle path shortcuts in towns.  A bit of Google streetview is often useful, especially to check out a bit of the route that may have busy/hazardous traffic.  Most importantly; the cafe/lunch stop!

brentrides replied to Lance ꜱtrongarm | 2 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the info!

Does that mean you prefer to ride on the road vs. cyclepaths?

Generally, what percentage of the route would be the old route vs. the new bit you add on?

matthewn5 | 2 years ago
2 likes

I like to plot routes along OS 1:25,000 'yellow' roads with the minimum on 'orange' and next-to-zero on 'red' routes. I don't mind routes being longer. So, seeing the OS maps layer is essential in my opinion. Most others - Google is the worst - give no context information. I don't use Komoot at all as its a completely closed system that you can't access without an account.

I have an OS Maps subscription but for ease of use tend to plot in Garmin Connect with an OS Maps tab open so I can see the sort of roads I'm going along and make adjustments as necessary. I sometimes download basic routes from RideWithGPS or other ''open" sites and modify them, if I'm going somewhere I don't have a basic knowledge of. I hate loops and usually plot an A to B route and get the train home.

Hope that helps!

brentrides replied to matthewn5 | 2 years ago
1 like

Why do you late loops? Do you just like the feeling of traveling further away from home?

matthewn5 replied to brentrides | 2 years ago
2 likes

Yes - I live in central London and if I've set off early in the morning on quiet roads it's pretty grim to have to cycle back into London in afternoon traffic! I do ride some loops or out-and-back routes but usually pick a cycleway to re-enter London later in the day - if one is available. And yes, I like the feeling of 'getting somewhere' at the end of a ride, rather than just turning up at the front door.

brentrides replied to matthewn5 | 2 years ago
2 likes

Great! Thanks for the clarification 💯

Dnnnnnn replied to matthewn5 | 2 years ago
2 likes

If you've the OS 'Landranger' maps for London then you could piece together some pleasingly direct but quiet routes outta town, mostly via quiet streets. The paper maps (nos 176 and 177) are probably better for this unless you've a very large screen.

I'm in Zone 2 (SE) and have some handy routes which can get me to the countryside in 30-40 minutes of pleasant city riding.

I also use trains - good to have options - although I tend to get to the edge of the Oyster zone, do a loop, and then train back!

I do use Google too - it's a quick way to generate rough distances and can be useful for having a look at odd stretches which may or may not be open/suitable for cycling, e.g. are tracks tarmac/gated/overgrown, or does a bit of A-road look worth trying if it's a convenient link.

For creating a GPX route to follow, mapmyride.com is a decent, free option - although it's worth checking with OS and Google maps if it wants to take routes that might not actually be tarmacked road. I then upload the GPX to OSMAnd (free downloadable maps) and - of course - record it on Strava...

matthewn5 replied to Dnnnnnn | 2 years ago
2 likes

Exactly, the paper maps are really useful... especially the regional maps, East Anglia, South East England, and so on:

https://www.stanfords.co.uk/South-East-England-AA-Road-Map_9780749579036

Oldfatgit | 2 years ago
1 like

I use PlotARoute (pro edition 'cos it's like a tenner).
Manual route plotting is excellent, with different degrees of snap to route.
I've not used it to decide a route for me - I'd rather plot it myself.

I'm not here to sell it, but I would recommend it to anyone that plots their own routes.

brentrides replied to Oldfatgit | 2 years ago
0 likes

What's the one thing your like best about Plotaroute? And one thing you like the least?

mdavidford | 2 years ago
4 likes

What I'd really like, and haven't been able to find yet, is something that does a decent job of taking (a) a point I want to pass through, and (b) a distance I want to do, and then finds me appropriate circular routes.

huntswheelers | 2 years ago
2 likes

When I plan routes.....even on unknown roads and in unknown to me areas.... I focus on low traffic roads B, C unclassifieds and keep A roads to a minimum. I also factor in a coffee/pub stop too if a 35+km ride. I also look to ride a loop /fig of 8 even on Gravel/mixed surface rides. As for Komoot...I gave up.... the routes it offered or allowed to be planned were pretty rubbish to be honest.... I use Plotaroute which also has O.S layer on the Pro version which works brill for Off road/Gravel routes. Plotaroute also allows for multiple download files for various GPS units and also a .pdf print out... Clearly for me the Komoot set up didn't work, however much I tried to get a result. I would however....import a gpx/tcx into the app/website and happily plot it as a "Tour", yet wouldn't allow me to plot as I wanted.... strange but there you go. I also check all the routes if on unknown roads and riding area via the .kml google earth download on Plotaroute..... hope that helps and not causing too much of a rethink

brentrides replied to huntswheelers | 2 years ago
0 likes

This is brilliant. Lots of good info here. A few things we were confident about already based on input from others, one in particular maybe bumps up in priority based on what you said, and the stuff about Komoot/plotaroute is very insightful 🙏

cyclefaster | 2 years ago
1 like

I like features on Komoot which show the road type and surface as it helps me to avoid A-roads where possible. Especially when planning longer routes with greater distance between the waypoints I set. 

peted76 | 2 years ago
3 likes

Ian's nailed it with the 'local knowledge' comment. If I'm planning a one day ride I'll usually ask someone. 

My personaly routing choice of website is https://cycle.travel/ which I find dead easy to use. 

HoarseMann replied to peted76 | 2 years ago
0 likes

peted76 wrote:

Ian's nailed it with the 'local knowledge' comment.

These days local knowledge = crowd sourced data.

A Waze type app that allowed you to quickly log road defects, traffic levels, close passes, etc. would be interesting.

Simon E replied to HoarseMann | 2 years ago
0 likes

HoarseMann wrote:

peted76 wrote:

Ian's nailed it with the 'local knowledge' comment.

These days local knowledge = crowd sourced data.

I use a combination of prior knowledge, OS maps* and occasionally make a note of the routes people I know have used from their strava rides, such as the riders in our club's strava group. I don't use a GPS so I make mental notes and/or paper maps.

* I like Bing maps with the Ordnance Survey overlay and may print a screenshot if I'm going somewhere a little unfamiliar; I also use the Directions tool in Google maps to calculate distances and Street view if I want to be able to recognise where to turn at a junction or fork in the road (particularly useful on narrow rural lanes).

However, this is generally for local rides and other places I have visited before and know fairly well. I've not really had to investigate unfamiliar territory or roads. I probably should do that now and again.

IanMSpencer | 2 years ago
3 likes

The really tricky bit in cycle route planning is finding out which are safe roads.

There are major roads which are quite useable for short distances, especially linking across, we have to cross the A46 near Stratford-upon-Avon for several of our journeys, and as there is a wide non-cycle lane white line edge, and separated turn areas, it is manageable. Nearby there are B roads we would not use. Similarly, there are country lanes that are so badly maintained that they are not useable. Typically we would not ride through fords, but many fords have footbridges that are useable.

Strava solves this problem with heat maps, you get a good idea of preferred cycling routes from them.

In other words, the app needs local knowledge to be a good planning app.

For a good route planner that exists, Plot-a-Route represents one of the better offerings around, though the interface is a bit obscure.

brentrides replied to IanMSpencer | 2 years ago
0 likes

Thanks! I'll look up the area you shared to use as some test cases. If you don't mind sharing some coordinates of the other examples, that would be very helpful. You can get coordinates by right clicking on google maps.

Heatmaps are generally good, but you don't know if it is for road bikes, MTBs, commuters, road races, or touring bikes. So sometimes I find it leads me astray and still have to consult street view for those parts where cars can drive.

I'll check out Plot-a-Route!

Latest Comments