Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

What’s the best budget road shoes out there?

Hi guys,

I recently bought a wattbike, and I'm looking to buy a budget set of road shoes for it. I'm looking something that hopefully will last a good few years

thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

peted76 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Take a look here - https://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/10-best-cheap-cycling-shoes-209762

Any on that list will be fine, but personally I'd get some with velcro and not laces as they are easy to slip on and off and adjust on the fly.

If the shoe has a 'tread or a recessed area on the underside' it's for SPD cleats.

If the shoe has a 'flat base with some holes in' it'll work with Look Keo cleats.

Basemetal | 3 years ago
0 likes

Which cleat system are you looking for?

For 3 hole cleats Mavic Cosmics (the velcro strapped one, BOA fastener versions are available at higher prices) can be had for around £40 online. Mavic size are a bit small so my slightly wide UK size 10 feet take an 11.5 for a perfect fit, but over 1000 road miles so far they've been really comfortable. I might buy another pair while they're cheap...

mayweather replied to Basemetal | 3 years ago
0 likes

I have to say, all this cleat systems confuses me! I've never had cycling shoes etc

thus is from the broschure 

"All Wattbikes come with reversible SPD and toe-cage pedals and a set of SPD cleats."

don simon fbpe replied to mayweather | 3 years ago
1 like

There's basically two types of shoes to worry about. Road and MTB. You'll be looking for any road shoe which has a smooth sole. Pedals and cleats are sold separately and basically any road shoe will suit any road cleat/pedal system.

You are not obliged to buy pedals from Wattbike, you might be able to buy cheaper pedals and cleats cheaper than Wattbike. Any pedals should fit the Wattbike cranks.

The Wellgo cleats will fit any road shoe.

mayweather replied to don simon fbpe | 3 years ago
0 likes

I just checked the specification that has been emailed to me, and the pedal that comes with the bike is compatible with SPD and Look Keo cleats with a 3 bolt attachment 

0 likes

Would you gave a link of where to pick up the magics cheap? May suit me as I've narrow feet

thanks 

0 likes

Hi, would you have a link to where you can buy the cheaper Mavic cosmics?

thanks

Stebbo | 3 years ago
0 likes

Define your budget then check about the various cycle shops both real and internet.  I bought a pair od shimano RC3 shoes for Spin classes and indoor ridinf last year for £35 new old stock.  Have been excellent.

don simon fbpe | 3 years ago
1 like

decathlon seconded.

Tom_77 | 3 years ago
0 likes

For budget stuff Decathlon or Sports Direct would probably be your best bet.

Or look on eBay for something 2nd hand.

TheBillder replied to Tom_77 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Do your research on likely fit, bear in mind a lot of brands are quite narrow, and then eBay all the way. I have carbon soled Northwaves, a couple of pairs of Lake shoes and not paid more than £40 for each. Often less.

But my new (to me) lovelies are Lake waterproof boots. Quite old but vgc, not tested waterproofing but cosy and comfy, £7.50 plus p&p. Gladdens a tight-wad's heart.

Latest Comments