Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

What's the weirdest thing you've had to swerve to avoid?

Very nearly caused a toad to croak this morning and there seems to be a lot more debris on the roads too. So it got me thinking - what's the weirdest thing you've had to swerve to avoid?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

50 comments

Awavey replied to Dicklexic | 3 years ago
0 likes

when you got to Dumoulin, you got to Dumoulin  1

oceandweller | 3 years ago
1 like

Tortoise. On a lovely MTB trail through dense bush near Greyton in SA. Rang my bell but it didn't seem in a hurry to scuttle out of the way , had to stop & lift it off the very narrow track...

wycombewheeler | 3 years ago
2 likes

Owl

although it was more duck to avoid than swerve

Kapelmuur | 3 years ago
1 like

A flock of penguins and a camel in the road at Great Budworth (Cheshire).   

The TV series 'Our Zoo' was being filmed there.

Dnnnnnn | 3 years ago
1 like

An ambling badger.

Tom_77 | 3 years ago
1 like
don simon fbpe | 3 years ago
1 like

Wild boar.

Hirsute | 3 years ago
5 likes

//t2.ea.ltmcdn.com/en/images/1/1/4/fluffy_the_three_headed_dog_2411_3_600.jpg)

Welsh boy | 3 years ago
1 like

I didn't have to swerve but I had to duck when I surprised a buzzard on a grass verge one morning, it saw me and took off in my direction when I was about 2 metres away. Maybe I should have swerved once when a seagull hit the headlight on my motor bike, I don't know who was the most surprised (probably the gull in that split second before it spread itself over a very large area). 

OldRidgeback | 3 years ago
9 likes

I had to swerve around a spitting cobra once when I was living in West Africa.

I only realised it was a cobra when it reared up and I could see its hood. How I managed to swerve around it on the narrow pathway I was riding along, I still don't know. I was wearing flip flops and cut-off denim shorts, not exactly the most protective clothing. It was very annoyed and I heard it pursuiing me for a short distance.

Believe it or not, it is a true story.

AlsoSomniloquism replied to OldRidgeback | 3 years ago
2 likes

I heard it pursuiing me for a short distance

Sure the hissing wasn't a slow puncture?

OldRidgeback replied to AlsoSomniloquism | 3 years ago
1 like

The noise it made was a sort of slapping sound as it slithered as fast as it could after me. Cobras are quicker than you'd think over a short distance. Spitting cobras are particularly worrying as they spit venom at your eyes and bllind you temporarily. Before this happened I'd been in hospital with malaria and someone there was being treated for a cobra bite, so I was very well aware o what could happen. While spitting cobras aren't the most deadly snakes in West Africa, a bite causes skin necrosis. The guy I saw had been bittten in the ankle and all the skin around the affected area had died, so the bone was exposed. I saw him being wheeled in for surgery. 

All that flashed through my mind as that thing reared up.

AlsoSomniloquism | 3 years ago
1 like

Surely you meant two toads to croak? At least they would have died on a high.

Not weird as such as was country side. My first ever Sportive in Worcester. I was doing the 30miler on an hybrid and was out on my own as not many were doing the short one. As i was coming to the bottom of a descent off the Malverns, a small pheasant came out of the bushes well ahead of me. Then a second and both went to the left so I moved to the right. The third suddenly came out right in front of me and I locked up both wheels and started to come around on the back end before they all ran back in to the hedge. 

mdavidford | 3 years ago
2 likes

A buzzard, that apparently thought I was trying to steal its roadkill.

andystow | 3 years ago
1 like

Black snakes

Caterpillars

Uncountable panicked squirrels

Suicidal rabbits

Captain Badger replied to andystow | 3 years ago
1 like

andystow wrote:

Black snakes

Caterpillars

Uncountable panicked squirrels

Suicidal rabbits

Bloody squirrels, 'bout time they had number plates

brooksby | 3 years ago
1 like

Yup - its that time of year for toads

(my daughter helps with our local toad patrol).

HoarseMann | 3 years ago
2 likes

pic

mdavidford replied to HoarseMann | 3 years ago
2 likes

I don't think that's a toad...

HoarseMann replied to mdavidford | 3 years ago
1 like

You're right!  Thankfully managed to avoid a coming together and a reminder that it's safer to ride in the primary position.

Pages

Latest Comments