Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Wheelset Choice - experience road/racers

So, I'm looking at a new wheelset and came up with a couple of choices but it would be great to hear thoughts from experienced road/racers...

1 - Campagnolo WTO Bora 45 (rim brake)

2 - Fulcrum Speed 40's or 40/55 combo (rim)

Both seem to get good reviews, I like the idea of 2 way compatibility (tubeless/clincher)

Both have ceramic bearings which is a bonus, I'm not a small rider at 85kg's but fairly powerful. Anything I've overlooked around the £1500 mark?

thanks in advance 👍

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

PRSboy | 3 years ago
1 like

Swiss Side Hadron have decent aero credentials, as do DT Swiss ARC Dicut. 

Didnt Luisa Grappone, who designed the Hunt Aerodynamicist wheels, work for Fulcrum/Campag beforehand?

Chillipepper83 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Now... I'm going to through a spanner in to see if your thoughts are the same...

Campy Bora WTO 45's... or, Roval CLX 50's... or, Campy BORA WTO 60's

What do you think guys?

(course, a 45 front, 60 rear might also be a nice option in the campy's) 

Recoveryride replied to Chillipepper83 | 3 years ago
1 like

Probably still the Bora 45s... unless you're going to be running Shimano, in which case Campag wheels would be a terrible faux pas 

Chillipepper83 replied to Recoveryride | 3 years ago
0 likes

I will be running Shimano, but the WTO's would look awesome on my BOB dogma 👀

I'm 85kg's though and I'm just wondering whether the 60's might be a better choice..?

Recoveryride replied to Chillipepper83 | 3 years ago
2 likes

I would be pretty certain 85kg is absolutely fine. If you ride on the flats and not in a windy area, go for the 60s. But conventional wisdom is that 40-50 depth is the sweetspot for all round use.

Please reconsider your groupset choice  1

EddyBerckx replied to Chillipepper83 | 3 years ago
2 likes

Chillipepper83 wrote:

Now... I'm going to through a spanner in to see if your thoughts are the same...

Campy Bora WTO 45's... or, Roval CLX 50's... or, Campy BORA WTO 60's

What do you think guys?

(course, a 45 front, 60 rear might also be a nice option in the campy's) 

Ive had a couple sets of (admittedly cheap) 50mm rims plus a set of decent 40mm Vision Metron rims and tbh, I noticed very little aero difference though they all made my bikes look more badass 😉

Then I bought a set of Reynolds Strike 62mm dirt cheap (relatively) in the sale a couple years back and yeah, they do make a noticeable difference!! I wouldn't go smaller ever again tbh unless I wanted something super lightweight for the hills. I'm a similar weight to you and the only time there is a problem with crosswinds is in very strong wind when you'd probably feel it regardless. Modern, wider rims handle crosswinds much better too (my Reynolds are 17mm internal which is narrow by latest standards)

GO DEEP OR GO HOME! 😉

Chris Hayes | 3 years ago
0 likes

Nah, don't go with heritage and performance. Get some Hunts! Road.cc gave them best wheels of 2020/21...even better than Bora WTOs.  

Sorry, just spat my tea out.... Get the Boras. Campagnolo is Fulcrum's parent co, so the build quality will be the same, but Boras will always have a better resale / recycling value. 

Chillipepper83 replied to Chris Hayes | 3 years ago
0 likes

Yes, I was also a little puzzled on the Hunts... thanks very much!

Chris Hayes replied to Chillipepper83 | 3 years ago
1 like

You're welcome. It's exciting getting new stuff, especially high end wheels!

Recoveryride | 3 years ago
0 likes

I haven't used a recent rim model of either, but as you note, both are well reviewed. I don't know if you're aware, but Fulcrum are owned by Campag, and the higher tier wheels are made in the same factory. I test rode a bike with disc Boras and thought they were lovely.

I would seriously look into Malcom Borg's wheels; he could build you something really, really good for that money. I don't know if they come in a rim brake version, but I have been very happy with my Bontrager Aeolus Pro 37s.

But failing all of that, it is very hard to go wrong with Boras  1

Chillipepper83 replied to Recoveryride | 3 years ago
0 likes

Many thanks, I'll take a look at Malcom's too. Cheers!

Latest Comments