Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Where would you sell a bike.

Hello!
I bought a BMC Streetracer in 2013 and have riden it 3 times so I'm here to ask if anyone has advice on how/where to sell it?
Would I be best just putting it in eBay or finding a bike shop that sells second hand bikes.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Jules59 | 3 years ago
0 likes

I was sucessful with Gumtree. Sold wife's bike in 24hrs.  As people have said, a detailed description and lots of pics helps the sale.

Secret_squirrel | 3 years ago
0 likes

I have bought and sold many bike bits from eBay and a few bikes too.  I wouldn't worry too much about the 15% charges as they are offset by the reach and the ease of selling.  I've sold most of the rest of my stuff on bike sites like Retrobike but that's for a specific market.

Do a search on eBay with the sold and completed filters switched on, there are 2 Street Racers on there that you can copy the blurb from.

This link should work for you

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=bmc+streetracer&_sacat=0&...

Kapelmuur | 3 years ago
1 like

I've sold a couple of bikes on eBay and got more for them than I expected each time, this offset the commission charges.

Cupov | 3 years ago
1 like

if you're on facebook try searching for local cycles sales groups. i've sold most of mine through yorkshire cycling sales.

mtb_roadtripper | 3 years ago
0 likes

I know its a mountain bike site but Pinkbike has a great buy and sell section with a fair few roadies up for sale. 

Dnnnnnn | 3 years ago
0 likes

I've sold a couple recently on ebay when they were offering £1 final value fees (instead of taking 10%). They seem to offer this deal regularly. It's harder to avoid PayPal charges, although possible.

I put the same bikes on Facebook Marketplace - that generated a greater amount of random interest but not many serious inquiries. Maybe because it doesn't have ebay's filter functions which probably help guide buyers to what they actually want.

Alex G replied to Dnnnnnn | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thank you so much for your reply Duncann, may I ask what information you use to advertise it, I know nothing about bikes so I was wondering if I can just copy and paste info from a website into an advert or if there's just some basic info I need to include in an advert?
Kind regards
Alex

matthewn5 replied to Alex G | 3 years ago
0 likes

Hi Alex, Ebay is good and you'll reach the maximum number of people, but bear in mind you'll lose 10% of the final value of the sale in fees, and 3.4% to PayPal, even if the listing is free. If you're not a regular Ebayer with a high positive rating people will be suspicious. So in my view its better to sell elsewhere.

The cycling forums like BikeRadar or LFGSS and road.cc have sales threads, but do read each forum's rules as they all have their foibles and will tell you off if you break their rules.

As for information, just take plenty of photos and include those and describe the bike as best you can. If you can find an original listing then as you say, copy that info, but I suspect you wont find 2013 models listed online anywhere now.

Good luck with the sale!

Simon E replied to Alex G | 3 years ago
0 likes

Some tips from someone who has bought 2 bikes and any number of components via the 'bay.

Clear, accurate description and explanation of why you're selling it. Do you have receipt or proof of purchase? Specs are useful and may save any number of questions e.g. how many gears, what tyres? You don't have to write an essay, IME it's about being open and honest.

Clean it well then add good quality, sharp photos. Not dozens but you should show both sides, front and rear views and closer ones of chainset, rear derailleur, shifters etc so the viewer can see that the condition matches your claims. 1st one should be a clear RH side photo showing the bike so someone is more likely to click through to the listing from search or the category page.

I've only ever bought locally but would travel further for the right bike. If you say you are willing to meet a seller part way if they're travelling then it looks good. Be cautious of anyone who might be trying to find out exactly where you live in order to steal it.

Check ebay completed listings to see what prices this and similar models sell for. Do you want tor un an auction or Buy It Now (and Best Offer)?

I don't like Facebook but I'd put it on a local FB marketplace/sellers forum first (or as well). It won't cost anything.

Latest Comments