Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Which Sportives are you hoping to ride this summer?

With Ride London off for a second year, I had my eye on the Gran Fondo Isle of Man and even booked a week holiday in August to see if I could have a holiday on the island (set my aims a bit lower after last year, no Morocco or Alps for me this year either.) Well a few weeks ago their website disappeared despite the rapid increase in vaccination. 

I'd like try to do one big event this year after we finally get out of lockdown. Which Sportives are you hoping to ride this summer?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

26 comments

Jem PT | 3 years ago
0 likes

I had signed up for the London Revolution last year which got delayed to this year. I signed up for the Ultra - whole 155 mile loop in one day. It was due to take place in May but has got shifted back to end of September. With feed stops I reckon 155 miles would take me 12 hours, without any punctures/mechanicals. On the rescheduled date there is 12 hours daylight... That's cutting it too fine for me, so I've cancelled.

I have signed up for the Davina McCall/McMillan East Sussex sportive and the Cobham-Petworth Spring Onion, 68 and 65 miles respectively, but that's it so far.

Secret_squirrel | 3 years ago
2 likes

I'm down for the Dragon Ride at my longest ever Sportive distance of 200km.  Getting nervous  about  being able to get the miles in between now and then. 

Chris Hayes | 3 years ago
1 like

Hmmm.... stuck indoors staring at a storm, I'm now looking at Chase the Sun South....

Stumps | 3 years ago
1 like

Like IanEdward, i've also put in for the Oban Sportive. Not brave enough to do the hill climb the day before so just the 87 miles for me. 

Half expecting it to be cancelled as its the day before the lockdown all finishes so role on September. 

Also doing the Great North Bike Ride, not difficult to do, 60+ miles down the east coast finishing in Tynemouth where i live. 

Recoveryride | 3 years ago
1 like

I'm hoping to have a place at the Dirty Reiver in September (no entries currently being accepted, but it looks like not all entrants will transfer their place from last year, so there's 'a good chance' per the organisers).

matthewn5 | 3 years ago
1 like

Looking forward to doing the Dunwich Dynamo, though at present there's no return transport planned, so it might be the double with riding back!

That's if a planned but I suspect unlikely to eventuate work event the Monday after doesn't spoil the whole thing...

Chris Hayes replied to matthewn5 | 3 years ago
2 likes

I'd forgotten about that.  That's on my list too.  I'll be dropping the car off the day beofre and catching an empty train back, I thinik. 

Awavey replied to Chris Hayes | 3 years ago
2 likes

its meant to be the Latitude festival that weekend  1 which shouldnt impact the ride imo, though some nimbys are complaining about it because there will be too many people about (aka they cant rent their summer homes out and rake in twice the money) but the trains wont be as empty as you might hope I suspect, plus they are a bunch of new trains whose bike carrying capability is limited which is going to cause all kinds of problems if the normal coaches/vans arent provided.

Chris Hayes replied to Awavey | 3 years ago
2 likes

I suspect that most of the festival goers will be too young to have been vaccinated - so I'll just wait for that to be cancelled like everything else this year!

Thanks for the heads up though. 

Miller replied to Chris Hayes | 3 years ago
1 like

Govt has stated everyone over 18 will have been offered vaccination by end of July. Festivals from August onwards have a decent chance of going ahead, I think.

Chris Hayes | 3 years ago
2 likes

I'd like to do a few rides in Scotland. I have a friend on Strava who keeps posting pictures of fells and lochs, which has made me feel ennvious pootling around London's parks and nearest Kent.  

Otherwise, I only usually do the Norfolk 100 here in the UK, but try to do a couple of BENELUX sportives (though Flanders terrifies me). 

IanEdward | 3 years ago
0 likes

Oban Sportive entered for mid-May but not optimistic. The organisers have been very open about their September contingency plan. 

Saturday is just an afternoon hill climb event up a closed road to the Cruachan reservoir, but to get my money's worth out of the weekend away I'll probably do a wee ride in the morning around the Cowal Peninsula.

Next day is the Sportive proper, basically a glorified loop of Loch Awe featuring some beuatiful roads and punchy wee climbs although the surfaces are pretty poor in places.

Quote:

I'd much rather not be surrounded by cyclists whom I don't know the capabilities of... ...and plan cafe stops in beautiful country villages rather than get handfuls of sugary gels and cakes from a gazebo... ...and it doesn't cost an entry fee to get said gels and have some luminous yellow arrows to follow, and some tatty 'medal' that will just sit in a drawer reminding me that I did it.

Quote:

each to their own

Indeed, some of us actually enjoy the company of other cyclists and get a kick from riding with hundreds of other people on the same road, not having to carry loads of extra food and water because somebody is thoughtfully laying it on for you every 30-40km, and also having some sort of after-party to return to. I even quite like the free Oban Sportive buff and bottle I got last year smiley

Organon replied to IanEdward | 3 years ago
3 likes

Indeed, some of the replies haven't been the most, er, productive responses. They are right, I can ride roads for free every weekend, and I do. Which is why a sportive with the festival vibe, feed stations, and best of all closed roads is a unique experience, and worth doing once a year. Seems like September is going to be a big month if the weather holds. Good luck to you and the missus.

Pilot Pete replied to IanEdward | 3 years ago
0 likes

Err, you do know you don't have to carry 'loads of extra food and water' just because you are not riding in an organised event? I did a 250mile ride last summer, unsupported, solo. I carried two bidons and 5 sachets of energy drink. I stopped at cafes and convenience stores periodically and topped up with water and food.

PP

Judge dreadful | 3 years ago
0 likes

I'm just looking forward to being able to do longer rides and / or tours again. I've only ever bothered with a very few closed road sportives in the past, and with the PRLS having been permanently canned, that doesn't leave many options on that front. Given the amount of people who have seemingly increasingly not been taking a jot of notice about the lockdown laws / regs where I am, in the last few days / weeks,  I fully expect another big spike in numbers at about the middle of May, as far too many people don't seem to understand how the vaccines work, and against which versions / variants, and that ( in my opinion ) will risk derailing any planned 'return to normal' in June. So for the time being, I'll just stick to making mileage by doing circuits of about 10 miles, around my local area, as I think planning anything concrete this year will be a wasted effort.

AlsoSomniloquism | 3 years ago
2 likes

I've got delayed Etape Loch Ness and Tour of Cambrideshire some time this year. And might do the local ones near me (Mad March Hare whenever they are redoing it). Not much else though. 

Organon replied to AlsoSomniloquism | 3 years ago
1 like

I did ToC once in 2016 in the run up to the Brexit Ref. Signs by the road side, very depressing. Otherwise very flat and windy. The only incentive is the closed roads.

AlsoSomniloquism replied to Organon | 3 years ago
1 like

I had already done it a couple of years ago (non brexit). Had a lady shouting at me when I cycled to the event on the saturday for registration where she decided it was my fault her taxi couldn't drop her off at her front door (drunk). 

Then one road sign about "We didn't want our road closed" outside one countryside residence. As this was the same road a load of oil had been dumped on one tight corner (judging by the sand) I could probably put two and two together. The wind wasn't great but I was expecting it and the first feed station on an abandoned airfield was poorly stocked for an event that has run multiple years by then.

However there are not many centuary closed roads left and might get the mrs on the 50km with her ebike which they are allowing. 

Tom_77 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Planning on doing Southampton - https://www.sporterium.co.uk/

Oldfatgit | 3 years ago
1 like

Tour de Forth
Helensburgh
Tour of the Borders

I've loads of scenic routes plotted around Perth and Loch Tummel area, so as long as we can meet up with at least one other, I won't miss the sportives too much.

Pilot Pete | 3 years ago
1 like

None. I just plan routes and ride them, be it alone or with mates. Hundreds from home, some 'away days' where we load up the van and drive 50-100 miles away to ride different routes.

I'd much rather not be surrounded by cyclists whom I don't know the capabilities of, especially going up/ down iconic climbs/ descents and plan cafe stops in beautiful country villages rather than get handfuls of sugary gels and cakes from a gazebo.

Oh, and it doesn't cost an entry fee to get said gels and have some luminous yellow arrows to follow, and some tatty 'medal' that will just sit in a drawer reminding me that I did it.

But each to their own.

wycombewheeler replied to Pilot Pete | 3 years ago
2 likes

Pilot Pete wrote:

None. I just plan routes and ride them, be it alone or with mates. Hundreds from home, some 'away days' where we load up the van and drive 50-100 miles away to ride different routes.

I'd much rather not be surrounded by cyclists whom I don't know the capabilities of, especially going up/ down iconic climbs/ descents and plan cafe stops in beautiful country villages rather than get handfuls of sugary gels and cakes from a gazebo.

Oh, and it doesn't cost an entry fee to get said gels and have some luminous yellow arrows to follow, and some tatty 'medal' that will just sit in a drawer reminding me that I did it.

But each to their own.

and for the price of a sportive entry you can probably get a very nice pub lunch AND afternoon tea in a cafe

zeeridesbikes replied to Pilot Pete | 3 years ago
1 like

I'll be doing the same. The thought of driving somewhere to explore some new routes seems like an achievable dream right now. 

PRSboy replied to Pilot Pete | 3 years ago
2 likes

I'm not normally one for sportives but I did the last iteration of the Cardiff Velothon, and it was absolutely brilliant. Closed roads are an absolute joy to ride on, Great cameraderie en route, and friendly locals who made the best of it and were very supportive despite the bad press in the run-up. 

Shame it stopped. 

AlsoSomniloquism replied to PRSboy | 3 years ago
0 likes

Just spotted this. I did that ride as well (well the 125km one which was my longest ever until Brum Velo in 201). The specators giving out water or using their hoses as sprinklers were life savers in that heat. 

Nick T replied to Pilot Pete | 3 years ago
2 likes

Great input 

Latest Comments