Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Why are Hill Climb Numbers Down?

Has anybody noticed that Hill Climb entries are way down on last year? Is it because roadies have other events this autumn compared to last.

We're organising one for 10 Oct (entries close tonight hint, hint) and have a good turnout but that's only because we've gathered a load of prizes, are doing it for charity and have spammed everybody we know repeatedly.

Hill climbs are unique events and so much fun. It would be sad to see them disappear.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Organon | 2 years ago
0 likes

How would one find a hill climb in say the Manchester area. And can all comers just turn up? How embarrassing would it be for a 90kg sprinter who is bobbins at climbing to be passed on the way up, and how long are these sort of things?

Simon E replied to Organon | 2 years ago
1 like

There will be a number of clubs in the area that put on hill climb events at this time of year, though there won't be many events remaining now. Macclesfield Wheelers ran a 15-event hill climb summer series this year:

https://hillclimbproject.co.uk/2021/

Local associations often act as an information hub e.g. the M&DTTA. There are still a few club events in CTT Manchester district listed on the website:

https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/club-events?district_id=9

Entry for Open events usually closes 10-12 days before and the really popular ones will require but low key club events are typically EOL (enter on the line) or online. Some of our local clubs have been using Eventbrite for entries to reduce Covid risk at sign-on, with entries closing the night before.

No need to feel embarassed. Weight, fitness etc are not a barrier except in your own head. You'll find Cat1 racing snakes in skinsuits on 5.5 kg bikes gunning for the win along with people who take more than twice as long to complete the course. I know a couple of chaps in their 70s & 80s who know they will surely finish last but that's not what it is about. Even reasonably fit mid-pack riders get overtaken, it's amazing how quickly the fast lads can put a minute or more into most of us.

Organon replied to Simon E | 2 years ago
0 likes

Well thank you, that was a very comprehensive answer. It hasn't been since 2019 that I have done a sportive, and I didn't fancy it this autumn, I was doing another Strava challenge. But I hope to do more social events again next year. 

I will wear a skinsuit for any advantage no matter how slow it would be up hill, but I draw the line at drilling holes in my No. 1. bike.

Hmm 11524 /17875 on Brickworks, not good.

TheBillder replied to Organon | 2 years ago
1 like

I'm no climber at all but did give a hill climb a go. Was totally friendly. It hammered down with rain and I think I was colder at the end of my warm up than at the start. I beat the guy who did an extra run on a rental bike, and the tandem with a trailer with three members of the same family, but no one else.

I might not go again but would recommend it as something that ought to be tried. Type 2 fun!

bobbinogs | 2 years ago
0 likes

A lot of the folks I ride with are getting more and more into gravel...so I would guess that, as cycling becomes more fragmented, niche events will inevitably follow suit?  They won't die out, just become, well, niche.

peted76 | 2 years ago
0 likes

From my persepctive, as someone who generally relishes the hill climb season.. over the last winter I lost motivation and didn't train, I've spent the subsequent months trying to get back. I'm not there, not ready for a hill climb and I'm not alone in my circle of peers. 

Don't loose heart, Hill Climbs won't disappear, this is just the hangover from covid. Peoples lives are still recalibrating.

Simon E | 2 years ago
0 likes

It has been the same for midweek club and inter-club TTs this year in Shropshire.

The local cyclo-cross league events have been huge (across all age groups) in recent years but numbers at our West Midlands event on Sunday were a third or more down on previous seasons.

Latest Comments