Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Wide wheel + rim brake pad clearance issue

I've just bought some new fandangled RR50 wheels, which are 27.5mm wide.  I have an Argon18 Nitrogen, which has special 'aero' TRP rim brakes mounted on the seatstays. 

I've removed the spacers behind the pad holders, and fitted thin pads, but I suspect the pad clearance will still be very tight.  I cannot adjust the caliper any wider as the forward end of the pad holders catch the seatstays.

What would be ideal would be pad holders with the mounting bolt offset a bit more forward... has anyone come across such a thing?

Any other ideas gratefully received. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

Spangly Shiny | 2 years ago
0 likes

I take it that these are direct mount calipers. That being the case, would it be possible to shim out the calipers to avoid contact between brake shoe and seatstay. This may require longer mounting bolts.

PRSboy replied to Spangly Shiny | 2 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the reply...

After much fiddling and tipping the front of the pad in ever so slightly, I got just enough clearance, but only because the Prime carbon brake pads are so thin!

Shims as you suggest would be the answer, had the thin pads not been available. Better get stocked up!

Latest Comments