Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Wobbly cassette :(

Like a lot of us I've been banging in the miles the last 5 months, inevitably my bike is showing signs of these miles. I've now got a cassette with some horizontal play, I dont really know what is causing this, its not something I've experienced before and I'd like to think I can fix most things. Shifting is still fine but it is making a few odd creaks etc...
I'm self employed and cash isnt exactly firing around so I need to sort this as cheaply as possible, has anybody got any idea what it could be and a way to fix it? Its 11 speed  mechanical Ultegra if that makes any difference. As it is basically working okay I am tempted to leave be but then I'm concerned it could go horribly wrong 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

kil0ran | 3 years ago
0 likes

Rule out wheel bearings by grabbing the tyre and seeing if there's any horizontal play. If there's none
pop the cassette off and check the freehub for wear/excessive bite marks. Reassemble, tighten the lockring to spec and take it for a ride

Awavey replied to kil0ran | 3 years ago
0 likes

yes my cassette is wobbling, because of worn bearings, and its Id say easier to diagnose than maybe a loose lock ring, because of the play in the wheel maybe only a matter of a few mm each way but you dont have to dismantle it to check for bearings, plus theyll probably have been sounding like a bucket of bolts as youve been riding

turnerjohn | 3 years ago
0 likes

As David said check the cassette lockring, if that doesn't sort it and the spacer was installed from new sounds like bearing wear or the hubs need tightening - no mentioned on hub make or model ?

slowclimb replied to turnerjohn | 3 years ago
0 likes

turnerjohn wrote:

As David said check the cassette lockring, if that doesn't sort it and the spacer was installed from new sounds like bearing wear or the hubs need tightening - no mentioned on hub make or model ?

They're Fulcrum Racing Teams David, they're a few years old and I was planning replacing them with something shinier but current circumstances make that a bit tricky! I'll see whats up with them and if the repair is going to be a fair bit I might just scrape enough together to get a pair of something to keep me going, Wiggle have some Campagnolo Khamsin on offer that would do.

David9694 replied to slowclimb | 3 years ago
0 likes

IIRC, you don't need a spacer inboard of the cassette (unless it's Mavic or there's an R in the month) so the attached should be what your cassette comprises of. The Ultegra locknut always strikes me as a bit flimsy but it should bite firmly in the threads of the freehub and nip up about after about three turns, at which point there should be no chatter or movement from the cassette.
I don't see why loose wheel bearings should cause the cassette wobble issue, but you may as well check that the axle is indeed smooth and doesn't have any play. 

David9694 | 3 years ago
0 likes

If it's not been off, and has been fine up 'til now, then a loose locknut would be the first thing to check. Alternatively, it hasn't been put back together properly and one or more spacers is missing. 

slowclimb replied to David9694 | 3 years ago
0 likes

David9694 wrote:

If it's not been off, and has been fine up 'til now, then a loose locknut would be the first thing to check. Alternatively, it hasn't been put back together properly and one or more spacers is missing. 

The spacer thingis my concern David! It was in the shop just before lockdown getting new bearings, and lets just say they arent the most reliable sometimes!

Latest Comments