Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Yamato becomes Japan's first city to 'ban' use of phones while walking

//i.imgur.com/8XqrS8G.png)
Saw this: https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/06/25/national/yamato-japan-ban-phones-walking/

Quote:

YOKOHAMA – Yamato on Thursday became the first municipality in Japan to attempt to stop people using their smartphones while walking outside in public places.

Following the passage of a draft ordinance in the city’s assembly in Kanagawa Prefecture, the rule will come into effect next Wednesday. It does not, however, carry any penalties for those who ignore it.

The city said it hopes people will recognize that “smartphones should be used when not in motion.”

According to the ordinance, pedestrians should stop at a place where they are not obstructing traffic if they want to use their smartphones in public spaces, such as on streets and in parks.

In January, the city conducted a study at two locations, observing a total of about 6,000 pedestrians, and found that roughly 12 percent of pedestrians were using their smartphones while walking. Following the survey, the draft ordinance was submitted to the city’s assembly on June 1.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

kearos | 3 years ago
0 likes

Ah, the wonderful phone zombie. Really, what can be so important that you can't tear yourself away to look where you are going? Get lots on my 5 mile commute to work as use the shared-use pavement when on the tandem. Actually had one headphoned example walk into me whilst I was stopped, despite use of the bell, and it was still somehow my fault. 

Chris Hayes | 3 years ago
0 likes

If only the UK authorities had as much sense...they could start with no mobile phones whilst crossing roads for a start.   Where I live stepping off the curb seems to be a Pavlovian prompt to get your phone out and stare at the screen.  Funny thing is, when a female pedestrian did this in front of a cyclist last year HE was prosecuted... 

Hirsute replied to Chris Hayes | 3 years ago
2 likes

It was a civil claim and not B&W as you suggest.

Chris Hayes replied to Hirsute | 3 years ago
0 likes

hirsute wrote:

...the fixie in Shoreditch?  I think that she died of her injuries, no?  I think the cyclist went to gaol....and is still there.  

hawkinspeter replied to Chris Hayes | 3 years ago
2 likes

Chris Hayes wrote:

hirsute wrote:

...the fixie in Shoreditch?  I think that she died of her injuries, no?  I think the cyclist went to gaol....and is still there.  

You're confusing the Alliston case (fixie without a front brake and gave up slowing down thinking that he could speed through a gap and the woman later died) with the Hazeldan case (he used a horn to warn a group of pedestrians crossing the road to get out of his way and didn't slow down to avoid hitting the one that was using her phone).

It's an important part of roadcraft that you should make all efforts to avoid a collision even if you think the other person is in the wrong place.

ktache | 3 years ago
2 likes

Last week I encountered an oncoming pedestrian who appeared to be watching a video on a large tablet.  He of course could have been reading and lisening to music.  I did manage to attract his attention with light ring of my bell (Crane Riten, brass, Japanese, beautiful tone and sustain) and we passed safely on the relatively narrow shared route.  I was of course prepared to stop and I had already slowed in anticipation, though I do find the unavoidable small skid on the rear can scare the poop out of unaware walkers.

I am sometimes suprised by the publics demand to be constantly entertained, I do like to try and be aware of what's going on around me.

Quiteish bicycle, but I find the crunching/rumbling of my tyres does detract from the birdsong and other sounds of nature.

hawkinspeter replied to ktache | 3 years ago
0 likes

A tablet seems excessive - I'd be worried about bumping into something/someone and dropping it (or someone grabbing it and running).

ktache replied to hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
1 like

I'd be more worried about tripping over stuff, being a shared path it was not the smoothest of tarmac.

brooksby replied to ktache | 3 years ago
0 likes

During lockdown, people were still just wandering around with their noses in a smartphone and not looking where they were walking. I found it particularly frustrating.

Latest Comments