An investigation has begun into a haulage company whose unlicenced driver killed a cyclist in Central London two years ago.
Alan Neve, 54, was killed by Barry Meyer, 53, who drove over him in High Holborn as he cycled to work.
As we reported this month, Meyer was jailed for three and a half years and banned from driving for 10 years.
Barry Meyer, aged 53 and of Aubrey Road, E17, pleaded guilty in April to causing the death of cyclist Alan Neve in July 2013 by careless driving and driving while uninsured and unlicensed.
Last month, Blackfriars Crown Court heard that Meyer, who had been banned from driving five times and had two previous convictions for drunk driving, had jumped a red light as he tried to keep up with a colleague driving another truck in front of him.
Sentencing him today, Judge Daniel Worsley told Meyer: "It's an understatement to say the impact of the harm you caused was devastating beyond all measure.”
The haulage company is now being investigated, and the Traffic Commissioner’s office said: “The Traffic Commissioner for London and the South East of England, Nick Denton, has invited the operator licence held by
Alan Drummond to a preliminary hearing next month, following receipt of information from Transport for London and the Metropolitan Police Service.
“The purpose of the preliminary hearing is to establish what areas of compliance will need to be examined at a formal public inquiry and what documents and other evidence the operator and his transport manager will need to bring to that inquiry.
“Following the preliminary hearing, the operator licence held by Alan Drummond will be called to a public inquiry.
"This inquiry will examine the findings of an investigation by the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA).
“Due to ongoing proceedings, the Traffic Commissioner cannot make any further comment on this case.”
The London Cycling Campaign has called for the Traffic Commissioner to revoke Mr Drummond’s licence to operate, with a hearing due next week.
A statement from the LCC said: “It appears that Meyer was allowed to drive a 32-tonne tipper lorry by the operator who had either not properly checked that he had a valid licence or if a check was made which had allowed Mr Meyer to drive without a licence.”
At the original hearing, the judge told Meyer that he had a “shocking driving history,” with the lorry driver only changing his plea once the judge said that his past record would be disclosed to the jury.
After the sentence was handed down, Detective Sergeant Cheryl Frost, of the Metropolitan Police Service’s Roads and Transport Policing Command, said: "I would like to express my gratitude to the family of Alan Neve.
“They have carried themselves with the utmost dignity throughout this process which has lasted almost two years. It has been an extremely difficult time for them but their desire to assist us and support this investigation is testament to their strength."
In a statement, Mr Neve’s family said: “Alan was a kind, loving, optimistic, law-abiding man who had many years of life ahead of him.
“It was his great misfortune to travel the same route as Mr Meyer on Monday 15th July 2013.
“Many people have been deeply affected by Alan's death. We are relieved that there has finally been an end to this process and that there is some sense of justice for Alan.
“Alan will never ever be forgotten.”