Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

news

Dad stops kid from crashing bike into parked car (+ link to video)

Footage goes viral - after soparking helmet debate

A video of a father dashing after his son to prevent him from crashing his bike into a parked car has been grabbing a l;ot of attention on Reddit - but not for the reason you might think.

 The footage, which you can watch here,  shows the father steadying his son's bike on a quiet suburban street before giving him a little push to help him on his way.

The father is jogging alongside his son as the youngster makes his first pedal strokes - then suddenly sprints into action as the nipper veers towards a parked car.

For many commenting on the video on Reddit, however, the quick-thinking father's prompt action to prevent a crash wasn't the most striking thing about the video, with the first commenter observing, "That kid needs a helmet" - an opinion that inevitably has sparked a debate on the subject.

Simon joined road.cc as news editor in 2009 and is now the site’s community editor, acting as a link between the team producing the content and our readers. A law and languages graduate, published translator and former retail analyst, he has reported on issues as diverse as cycling-related court cases, anti-doping investigations, the latest developments in the bike industry and the sport’s biggest races. Now back in London full-time after 15 years living in Oxford and Cambridge, he loves cycling along the Thames but misses having his former riding buddy, Elodie the miniature schnauzer, in the basket in front of him.

Add new comment

422 comments

Avatar
giff77 replied to Bluebug | 6 years ago
2 likes
Bluebug wrote:
giff77 wrote:
SteveAustin wrote:

Amazing how many people, on this site, who ride bikes are so anti helmet. Considering a helmet could be the difference between consuming food through a tube for the rest of my life, i find it hard to be as against them as others.

I’m actually pretty amazed at the amount of people on this forum whose balance is so bad that they require a helmet. 

You mean you have stopped trying to do tricks on your bike? Gosh you are an old git :p

this auld git still knows how to fall smiley

Avatar
Judge dreadful replied to SteveAustin | 6 years ago
1 like
SteveAustin wrote:

Amazing how many people, on this site, who ride bikes are so anti helmet. Considering a helmet could be the difference between consuming food through a tube for the rest of my life, i find it hard to be as against them as others.

any kids in my care will wear a helmet, as i dont want to have to explain why to their parents why they weren't, not sure petty arguments can be used in real life to argue away life changing injuries, that could have been prevented by something as simple as wearing a helmet.

 

The issue is rarely about the actual lid, or lack thereof, it’s a ‘compulsion’ issue usually. I think it’s incredibly childish. “I don’t care if I smash my head in, I don’t have to wear a lid, so I’m not going to, and anyone who says otherwise is a big smelly poo head”. It’s a very sad attitude for an adult to have.

Avatar
ConcordeCX replied to Judge dreadful | 6 years ago
10 likes
Judge dreadful wrote:
SteveAustin wrote:

Amazing how many people, on this site, who ride bikes are so anti helmet. Considering a helmet could be the difference between consuming food through a tube for the rest of my life, i find it hard to be as against them as others.

any kids in my care will wear a helmet, as i dont want to have to explain why to their parents why they weren't, not sure petty arguments can be used in real life to argue away life changing injuries, that could have been prevented by something as simple as wearing a helmet.

 

The issue is rarely about the actual lid, or lack thereof, it’s a ‘compulsion’ issue usually. I think it’s incredibly childish. “I don’t care if I smash my head in, I don’t have to wear a lid, so I’m not going to, and anyone who says otherwise is a big smelly poo head”. It’s a very sad attitude for an adult to have.

it would be sad if any adult had that attitude. But they don't, and it's sad that you have constructed a childish strawman in place of any actual thought-through contribution. 

There are two issues. Do helmets do what their proponents claim? Should they be compulsory?

All the evidence that I've read suggests that the benefits are hugely oversold, and the disadvantages hugely understated. In any case, at best the answer to the first question is that the jury is still out.

This doesn't prevent any individual from wearing one if they want to - they're adults and can make up their own minds. It would be nice if you could treat people who decided not to wear one with the same courtesy.

Even if the answer was a clear and unequivocal 'yes', it does not follow that they should be compulsory. That argument relies on a whole other set of assumptions, criteria, value judgements and evidence, none of which are childish. These include questions of personal choice, population-scale impact on healthcare costs and health itself, and balance of risk compared to other activities.

These are complex questions. If all you have to offer is 'smelly poo head' perhaps your own head is in the wrong place.

Avatar
FluffyKittenofT... replied to Judge dreadful | 6 years ago
1 like
Judge dreadful wrote:
SteveAustin wrote:

Amazing how many people, on this site, who ride bikes are so anti helmet. Considering a helmet could be the difference between consuming food through a tube for the rest of my life, i find it hard to be as against them as others.

any kids in my care will wear a helmet, as i dont want to have to explain why to their parents why they weren't, not sure petty arguments can be used in real life to argue away life changing injuries, that could have been prevented by something as simple as wearing a helmet.

 

The issue is rarely about the actual lid, or lack thereof, it’s a ‘compulsion’ issue usually. I think it’s incredibly childish. “I don’t care if I smash my head in, I don’t have to wear a lid, so I’m not going to, and anyone who says otherwise is a big smelly poo head”. It’s a very sad attitude for an adult to have.

 

Dumbest post I've ever seen on one of these threads.  Have you considered growing up?   Maybe next time actually engage with the points being made,  you know, like a reasoning adult, instead of resorting to the baby-talk?

Avatar
Bluebug | 6 years ago
1 like

I've seen kids learning to ride bikes with what is basically roller derby gear.

However once they have learnt the knee and elbow pads are never openly worn again. And they ride their bikes without helmets if just playing in the street. However if they are going on a journey - yes kids in my area do go cycle around the area to shops or the park - they wear them.

The helmet debate around children is silly as people are more safety conscious with them in general. Kids playground equipment is no longer on bare concrete and Adventure Playgrounds have lots of assistants even if the older kids using it are 14 so should be sensible. Children have to child seats in cars and there needs to be one seat belt per kid, no kids can be carried in the boot.

Point I'm making is what was acceptable when we were children is no longer acceptable and considered cruel.

Avatar
Peowpeowpeowlasers | 6 years ago
4 likes

>  A helmet has saved me from serious injury on three occasions so I choose to wear one.

Perhaps you should learn how to avoid crashing your bicycle.  Observation, anticipation, they're good skills to have.

I have bumpers on my car but I don't drive around bumping into things.

Avatar
Mark_1973_ replied to Peowpeowpeowlasers | 6 years ago
2 likes
Peowpeowpeowlasers wrote:

>  A helmet has saved me from serious injury on three occasions so I choose to wear one.

Perhaps you should learn how to avoid crashing your bicycle.  Observation, anticipation, they're good skills to have.

I have bumpers on my car but I don't drive around bumping into things.

 

You win the prize for the most ridiculous post ever. Well done. Maybe it's time to start lobbying vehicle manufacturers to remove all safety aids and devices from their vehicles, and simply tell their customers not to crash.

Here's an x-ray of my shoulder after a van turned left into my path whilst I was in a blue cycle lane in London. Obviously with your skills of observation and anticipation you would have avoided the collision (or are your anticipation skills so finely honed that they cause you not to ride and just post ridiculous comments from the safety of your keyboard instead?). I'm pretty sure my helmet, which also impacted a solid wall of metal, prevented my skull from looking like the rest of those bones.

 

Avatar
FluffyKittenofT... replied to Mark_1973_ | 6 years ago
2 likes
Mark_1973_ wrote:
Peowpeowpeowlasers wrote:

>  A helmet has saved me from serious injury on three occasions so I choose to wear one.

Perhaps you should learn how to avoid crashing your bicycle.  Observation, anticipation, they're good skills to have.

I have bumpers on my car but I don't drive around bumping into things.

 

You win the prize for the most ridiculous post ever. Well done. Maybe it's time to start lobbying vehicle manufacturers to remove all safety aids and devices from their vehicles, and simply tell their customers not to crash.

 

Do you think that removing or reducing the adverse concequences of crashing for the driver is likely to make them take more or less care?

Do you think that removing all legal penalties for driving into others would make drivers more or less likely to do so?   Why is it different if the penalties are physical rather than legal?

 

Avatar
Leviathan replied to FluffyKittenofTindalos | 6 years ago
0 likes
FluffyKittenofTindalos wrote:
Mark_1973_ wrote:
Peowpeowpeowlasers wrote:

>  A helmet has saved me from serious injury on three occasions so I choose to wear one.

Perhaps you should learn how to avoid crashing your bicycle.  Observation, anticipation, they're good skills to have.

I have bumpers on my car but I don't drive around bumping into things.

 

You win the prize for the most ridiculous post ever. Well done. Maybe it's time to start lobbying vehicle manufacturers to remove all safety aids and devices from their vehicles, and simply tell their customers not to crash.

 

Do you think that removing or reducing the adverse concequences of crashing for the driver is likely to make them take more or less care?

Do you think that removing all legal penalties for driving into others would make drivers more or less likely to do so?   Why is it different if the penalties are physical rather than legal?

 

He's being hyperbolic, he doesn't actually want lawless roads. PeowPeow was making an argument from infallibility. There was another guy on here a while ago who was always saying 'ride to conditions' like he had never found a patch of ice or pothole on the road. Expect the unexpected unless you are Danny Macaskill (oh wait even he wears a helmet.)

Avatar
drosco replied to Peowpeowpeowlasers | 6 years ago
1 like
Peowpeowpeowlasers wrote:

>  A helmet has saved me from serious injury on three occasions so I choose to wear one.

Perhaps you should learn how to avoid crashing your bicycle.  Observation, anticipation, they're good skills to have.

I have bumpers on my car but I don't drive around bumping into things.

Prize for the most sanctimonious answer goes to....

Avatar
Yorkshire wallet | 6 years ago
3 likes

I never rode with a helmet as a child and now I shitpost on cycling forums. A clear case of cause and effect.

It's odd really as I now ride sensibly (mostly) with a helmet as an adult, but rode like a tosser on BMXs and MTBs with no helmet and here I am. Luck of the draw I guess sometimes looking back but mostly you don't NEED a helmet but I guess you never know. If it helps you ride more assuredly then wear one.

This said I remember a particulary upsetting tv programme (think it was 24 hrs in A and E) where a cyclist smashed his face into a cattle grid and ended up with a trapped blood vessel in his neck and ended up with half his skull missing. You never know what life has up it's sleeve for you.

Avatar
cbrndc | 6 years ago
2 likes

That vehicle should not be obstructing the highway.

Does the driver pay to store his stuff there?

Avatar
Legin | 6 years ago
2 likes

Who gives a FF; my fits bike ride age 5, my brother pushed me off down a hill so that I'd balance; I turned in to a side road straight in to the back of a parked car! I learned about brakes on my next ride. Well you wouldn't believe the reaction; front page news in the Derby Telegraph; letter page blocked for months with the helmet v irresponsible parents debate. A moritorium on children learning through play and mistakes; all just in case they accidentally triggerd a nuclear war by offending the USSR! 

Avatar
dodpeters | 6 years ago
10 likes

Everybody I know that recommends wearing a helmet learned to ride without one...

Avatar
kitsunegari replied to dodpeters | 6 years ago
0 likes
dodpeters wrote:

Everybody I know that recommends wearing a helmet learned to ride without one...

I'm not really sure that this argument bears anything out other than a logical fallacy.

Cars 30 years ago were inherently unsafe, should we therefore remove all modern safety features from cars because drivers have survived?

Avatar
giff77 replied to kitsunegari | 6 years ago
4 likes
kitsunegari wrote:
dodpeters wrote:

Everybody I know that recommends wearing a helmet learned to ride without one...

I'm not really sure that this argument bears anything out other than a logical fallacy.

Cars 30 years ago were inherently unsafe, should we therefore remove all modern safety features from cars because drivers have survived?

 BS - cars have never been ‘unsafe’.  It has been the operators that have been the problem.  Look at that tragic incident in Birmingham last week. It never ceases to amaze me individuals are granted licenses to operate machinery on the roads. 

 

Avatar
BehindTheBikesheds replied to kitsunegari | 6 years ago
7 likes
kitsunegari wrote:
dodpeters wrote:

Everybody I know that recommends wearing a helmet learned to ride without one...

I'm not really sure that this argument bears anything out other than a logical fallacy.

Cars 30 years ago were inherently unsafe, should we therefore remove all modern safety features from cars because drivers have survived?

Not true, it wasn't the cars that were unsafe but the operators, have the operators improved in their behavior/habits since more 'safety' features have been added, I think not, quite the opposite, it's just that the tech sometimes gets them out of trouble and protects them, however such are the lowered behavioural issues with those feeling protected they still manage to globally kill 1.25million people and maim tens of millions and still suffer a ridiculously large ampount of head injuries (greater than in any other aspect in our society) despite airbags, crash protection systems, seatbelts tracgtion control and all manner of driver aids and protection systems.

Remove all 'safety' features and those outside the vehicle benefit massively(the reverse of what happened when seatbelts were brought in), change the behaviour/actions of those that are unsafe or remove them from the machinery that they harm with instead of trying to mask the problem through ever increasing tech that is flawed massively. Helmets would never ever be proposed as a solution to something that wasn't ever a problem until others decided to use a weapon to kill and maim with it, the problem would be taken out of the equation not add PPE as this is the final option as we know it is the weakest aspect of addressing safety.

I managed to drive a 850kg vehicle with no power steering, no airbags, no crumple zones, no impact beams and had basic non inertia seatbelts without harming another person or making anyone feel threatened. I never died driving it nor was ever injured, I don't see that it is the vehicle itself but the attitude of the driver that needs modifying and adding so called safety aids has a direct negative effect on that attitude/way of behaving, just as some people on bikes have their behaviour modified when they think they are safer by wearing a plastic hat.

Avatar
Jitensha Oni | 6 years ago
8 likes

Wha?! Guy’s not wearing shoes - who knows what might happen there!! Tetanus, sepsis, gangrene, leaving the kid fatherless. Totally irresponsible.
I like a good shoe debate, me.

Avatar
kemakris | 6 years ago
7 likes

Nevermind helmets, barefoot on a public highway? He could stand on a rusty nail, contract blood poisoning and die from sepsis! Totally irresponsible!

Avatar
alansmurphy | 6 years ago
5 likes

Not sure why you wouldn't stick a lid on a kid when teaching them to ride...

Avatar
don simon fbpe replied to alansmurphy | 6 years ago
11 likes
alansmurphy wrote:

Not sure why you wouldn't stick a lid on a kid when teaching them to ride...

Did anyone learn to ride without a helmet?

Are you dead?

I rest my case.

Avatar
ConcordeCX replied to don simon fbpe | 6 years ago
28 likes
don simon wrote:
alansmurphy wrote:

Not sure why you wouldn't stick a lid on a kid when teaching them to ride...

Did anyone learn to ride without a helmet?

Are you dead?

I rest my case.

my father, his brothers and sisters, their parents, aunts and uncles and their grandparents and great grandparents learned to ride their bikes without helmets, and every single one of them is dead now.

My great-great aunt Cissie on the other hand never learned to ride a bike at all, but she went everywhere in a brass fireman's helmet, and she's 173 now.

Avatar
alansmurphy replied to don simon fbpe | 6 years ago
1 like
don simon wrote:
alansmurphy wrote:

Not sure why you wouldn't stick a lid on a kid when teaching them to ride...

Did anyone learn to ride without a helmet?

Are you dead?

I rest my case.

No but I crashed wearing a helmet and I'm not dead. I rest my case.

Avatar
LastBoyScout replied to don simon fbpe | 6 years ago
0 likes
don simon wrote:
alansmurphy wrote:

Not sure why you wouldn't stick a lid on a kid when teaching them to ride...

Did anyone learn to ride without a helmet?

Are you dead?

I rest my case.

When I learnt to ride a bike, helmets weren't available, so what's your point?

I've been wearing ever since they became widely available and I've been glad of them a couple of times, most notably when I went over the handlebars and landed on my head (hired bike that hadn't been put together properly). I was pretty happy the dent in the front of that one wasn't in the front of my head! Pretty bad case of road rash elsewhere. I also had a pretty nasty MTB crash after snapping my handlebars - the guy I was with at the time who wasn't wearing a helmet went straight to the nearest bike shop on his way home to buy one.

Just taken daughter to school on her bike - she's still learning to ride, doesn't always remember to use the brakes, doesn't always look where she's going, the pavements aren't in great condition and she gets easily distracted. Last week, she stopped suddenly and climbed off her bike because she'd seen an interesting-looking conker. Yes, she's wearing a helmet.

Avatar
ClubSmed replied to don simon fbpe | 6 years ago
1 like
don simon wrote:
alansmurphy wrote:

Not sure why you wouldn't stick a lid on a kid when teaching them to ride...

Did anyone learn to ride without a helmet?

Are you dead?

I rest my case.

 

I also know lots of people who  learnt to drive without wearing a seatbelt (those who passed their driving test before 1983) who are not dead. This does not mean that they should not be wearing one now, nor does it suggest that seatbelts are not saving lives.
I am not saying that I am for helmet use, I am not saying that I am against it. All I am pointing out is the flaw in such an arguement regarding helmet use.

Avatar
Jamminatrix | 6 years ago
3 likes

Target fixation. Very common phenomenon... Be it bicycles, motorcycles, jet skis, etc.

Years ago when we were kids, my brother learned to ride his bike, ran through sprinklers and his rim brakes got wet...rather than just coast to a stop in open space he just target fixated our Dad's car.

Avatar
jimt replied to Jamminatrix | 6 years ago
5 likes
Jamminatrix wrote:

Target fixation. Very common phenomenon... Be it bicycles, motorcycles, jet skis, etc. Years ago when we were kids, my brother learned to ride his bike, ran through sprinklers and his rim brakes got wet...rather than just coast to a stop in open space he just target fixated our Dad's car.

 

Totally avoidable. Obviously using deep section carbon rims with wrong pads.. Totaly avoidable with discs. blush 

Avatar
portec replied to jimt | 6 years ago
15 likes
jimt wrote:

Totally avoidable. Obviously using deep section carbon rims with wrong pads.. Totaly avoidable with discs. blush 

Oh great, a helmet debate combined with a disc brake debate! Some heads are going to explode.

Avatar
FrankH | 6 years ago
15 likes

Dad is running the same speed as the kid.

If Dad falls his head hits the ground from a greater height than the kid's would.

Therefore: Dad needs a helmet more than the kid.

Anybody care to fault my logic?

Avatar
Mark_1973_ replied to FrankH | 6 years ago
8 likes
FrankH wrote:

Dad is running the same speed as the kid.

If Dad falls his head hits the ground from a greater height than the kid's would.

Therefore: Dad needs a helmet more than the kid.

Anybody care to fault my logic?

 

Yes.

i. The child is much more likely to fall than the adult as he is wobbling along on an unstable two wheeled vehicle that he is not yet competent to control

ii. The child is likely to have slower reflexes than the adult

iii. The child's head is proportionally heavier than the adult's with a weaker neck so will have more momentum and strike the ground proportionally harder with greater force

iv. The child's skull is still not fully formed so will possibly be subjected to more lasting damage

v. The child's outstretched arms probably have insufficient strength to prevent his head hitting the ground, should he fall

vi. The child probably has less experience of falling and, therefore, of controlling a fall

p.s. I couldn't care less who wears a helmet but the angle you've approached this from is so tiring. A helmet has saved me from serious injury on three occasions so I choose to wear one.

Pages

Latest Comments