Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Video: Bus driver sacked after being filmed apparently using mobile by helmet-cam cyclist

It's a fare cop ...

A bus driver filmed by a helmet-cam-equipped cyclist apparently using a mobile phone has been sacked.

According to the Harlow Star, the Roadrunners Coaches vehicle was filmed in the Seymours area of Harlow on September 11. The bus was moving and had passengers on board at the time.

The company initially said its managers believed the driver was holding a ticket module and so would take no action against him.

However, according to a spokeswoman for Roadrunners a later review of the evidence led to a decision to sack the driver, who will not fight the decision.

“He told us that it was a module but he shouldn’t be [holding] that while driving anyway,” she said.

A spokesman for Essex Police said: “Enquiries are continuing and we have served a notice on the company to identify the driver.”

John has been writing about bikes and cycling for over 30 years since discovering that people were mug enough to pay him for it rather than expecting him to do an honest day's work.

He was heavily involved in the mountain bike boom of the late 1980s as a racer, team manager and race promoter, and that led to writing for Mountain Biking UK magazine shortly after its inception. He got the gig by phoning up the editor and telling him the magazine was rubbish and he could do better. Rather than telling him to get lost, MBUK editor Tym Manley called John’s bluff and the rest is history.

Since then he has worked on MTB Pro magazine and was editor of Maximum Mountain Bike and Australian Mountain Bike magazines, before switching to the web in 2000 to work for CyclingNews.com. Along with road.cc founder Tony Farrelly, John was on the launch team for BikeRadar.com and subsequently became editor in chief of Future Publishing’s group of cycling magazines and websites, including Cycling Plus, MBUK, What Mountain Bike and Procycling.

John has also written for Cyclist magazine, edited the BikeMagic website and was founding editor of TotalWomensCycling.com before handing over to someone far more representative of the site's main audience.

He joined road.cc in 2013. He lives in Cambridge where the lack of hills is more than made up for by the headwinds.

Add new comment

54 comments

Avatar
freespirit1 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Sorry Jova

Rational Dave is not me. Quite frankly using a mobile whilst on the road is a no no. That inludes driving, riding a motobike, cycling, skateboarding roller skating and any other means of transport.

Therefore you cannot claim £10.

Regards

Freespirit

Avatar
andyfla | 10 years ago
0 likes

Living in Derby I see very little bad riding, but then again most drivers are happy to give you enough space and wait to pass.

Most of the bad driving /riding seems to emanate out of London, can I assume people there are just far to self important to give a s**t about other people ?

As 90% of cyclists are also drivers(statistic pulled out of the air) can we not just say that it is drivers who are all idiots it is just their choice of transport that varies ?

Avatar
hood | 10 years ago
0 likes

no one should have ANY sympathy for a PROFESSIONAL driver who lost their job because they were using a mobile phone while driving, which is ILLEGAL.

he knew the rules and took a risk by breaking them.

he not only risked his safety, but 50 passengers safety and any other road users (and pedestrians) he came anywhere near!

IDIOT

Avatar
ColT | 10 years ago
0 likes

So, to summarise:

Dicks ride bikes.
Dicks drive cars.
Dicks drive buses.
Dicks use mobile phones.
etc, etc...

Such is the state of modern society. I ain't expecting it to change any time soon.

Avatar
pique | 10 years ago
0 likes

If a cyclist is texting while riding they are risking their own lives.
if a driver of a motor car or bus or HGV is texting they are risking the lives of their passengers and those around them. It is not the same thing.

Avatar
OldRidgeback | 10 years ago
0 likes

I shouted, "Look out," to one idiot sending a text on his mobile as he wobbled down the road with one hand on his bars as I rode home last night. He was trundling along in the gutter, just the place for him to pick up some glass in his tyres. He barely even looked up from his mobile as I shouted. I presume he was watching the edge of the road out of the corner of his eye to make sure he didn't stray in either direction.

There are idiots on two wheels and on four as well, like the moron in a Range Rover running a red light I also encountered and who cut across my path and that of the person in the car alongside me as we pulled away from the lights. I could see him mouthing the predictable obscenity in response to the chorus from me and the person in the car next to me.

Use any evidence you can to crack down on poor road use, bicycle, car, truck, bus or whatever. It is anti social behaviour and it is not acceptable. The only way people will learn is if they get a letter in the post informing them of the fine or points on their licence. And if they get the sack, that's tough, but it's their own fault.

Avatar
Krazyfrenchkanuck | 10 years ago
0 likes

If you think that is dangerous ...

Have a look at this video driver in Canada (City: Ottawa)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz1rO7wUSYg

And no, he wasn't fired. It was his first time !

Avatar
turboprannet | 10 years ago
0 likes

to be honest I'm just fed up of entitled idiots. Whether they're driving a car, van, bus, riding a bike or even a pedestrian - I just wish people would stop being idiots.

A cyclist came speeding round a blind corner the wrong way and I had to effectively endo not to hit him. I got a load of abuse off him even though he was in the wrong. Idiot.

Last week a car driver pulled out of a residential street onto a main road and missed me by inches. I get the middle finger and a load of abuse. Idiot.

People coasting around town on bikes running red lights - why don't you just try putting a bit more effort in so that you can obey the law and get a bit fitter at the same time whilst still getting where you're going as quickly? Idiots.

Cars driving through traffic calming at you when you have priority...pedestrians stepping out into a main road without looking or worse seeing a bike then walking out into the road having seen you and thinking it's ok because you're only riding a bike... I just don't understand what's happening in this country. There just seems to be so many idiots it's painful.

Why are there so many idiots? why?

Avatar
PhilRuss replied to turboprannet | 10 years ago
0 likes
turboprannet wrote:

TURBOPRANNET askes:

I just don't understand what's happening in this country. There just seems to be so many idiots it's painful.

Why are there so many idiots? why?

[[[[ Population density? And in, I hear, January 2014, 29 million more East Europeans will be eligible for UK residency. Guess which British city will be first choice for most of those that choose to exercise that right...if you think road conditions are bad now, just wait.
P.R.

Avatar
turboprannet replied to PhilRuss | 10 years ago
0 likes

PhilRuss I live in Bristol which has a very high population of Eastern Europeans (mainly Polish) and they aren't the worst by far.

To compound my earlier point 10 minutes ago a woman decided to turn left across me as I was on a junction. Evasive action taken but compounded by the fact the car behind her was a police car. The police promptly did nothing about it.

Just so many idiots.

Avatar
What Mid Life Crisis replied to PhilRuss | 10 years ago
0 likes
PhilRuss wrote:
turboprannet wrote:

While I generally agree that a higher concentration of people will lead to more idiots in a given space (assuming idiots are equally distributed through a population) bringing immigration into the debate smacks of something very Daily Mail-ish. Bordering on Daily Express in fact. Awful thought

TURBOPRANNET askes:

I just don't understand what's happening in this country. There just seems to be so many idiots it's painful.

Why are there so many idiots? why?

[[[[ Population density? And in, I hear, January 2014, 29 million more East Europeans will be eligible for UK residency. Guess which British city will be first choice for most of those that choose to exercise that right...if you think road conditions are bad now, just wait.
P.R.

Avatar
PhilRuss replied to What Mid Life Crisis | 10 years ago
0 likes
What Mid Life Crisis wrote:
PhilRuss wrote:
turboprannet wrote:

While I generally agree that a higher concentration of people will lead to more idiots in a given space (assuming idiots are equally distributed through a population) bringing immigration into the debate smacks of something very Daily Mail-ish. Bordering on Daily Express in fact. Awful thought
[[[ Daily Wail? Daily Excess? Nope, I prefer the Grauniad. You "agree that more people will lead to more idiots in a given space...." I'm no scientist, but we know mice will stop cooperating and become aggressive when forced to share overcrowded conditions. They're not idiots, but will behave idiotically, and I'm glad they're not drivers or cyclists! And by the way, you say Polish folks in Bristol are (I paraphrase) "no worse than anyone else", but I'm talking numbers, not nationalities.
P.R.

TURBOPRANNET askes:

I just don't understand what's happening in this country. There just seems to be so many idiots it's painful.

Why are there so many idiots? why?

[[[[ Population density? And in, I hear, January 2014, 29 million more East Europeans will be eligible for UK residency. Guess which British city will be first choice for most of those that choose to exercise that right...if you think road conditions are bad now, just wait.
P.R.

Avatar
BBB | 10 years ago
0 likes

To all people claiming that cyclists are just as bad.

Maybe they are, maybe not. It depends where you live and how much time you spend driving and cycling.

The fundamental difference between motorists and cyclists behaving badly is the potential consequences of their actions.

An idiot cyclist, however smug, mindless, rude or reckless is unlikely to injure or kill anyone other than themselves. Deaths by dangerous cycling are extremely rare and I've never heard about any driver killed by a cyclist...

An idiot driver however, travelling in his +1 tonne steel box at much higher speeds can take someone's life in a second, as we've seen so many times...

No matter how annoyed you may be with (fellow) cyclists please don't compare one with another.

Avatar
hampstead_bandit | 10 years ago
0 likes

@crazy-legs

agreed

I would like to see the Police and CPS move to a "zero tolerance" policy for road policing treating all road users in the same manner

if you look at the example of New York, USA they moved to a zero tolerance policing model for crime, and dramatically cut crime because even minor infringements were dealt with promptly and with real world consequences for the offender

many years ago, I used to act like a dick on my bike in London traffic because i did not appreciate the consequences of my actions.

It took a £30 fixed penalty fine, and the following week a lecture from a Police Sgt at Liverpool Street who calmly explained I would either be scraped off the road (with him having to visit my family and explain the circumstances of my death) or I would cause a fatality and be 1/2 mile away when it occurred

After these 2 instances, I never broke the law again, and completely changed my attitude towards my responsibilitiy of using the public highway

unfortunately for many new cyclists, their ego (skewed view of their self importance) / arrogance or ignorance dictates their poor behavior on the public highway

some financial penalties and safety education would not be wasted

Avatar
GREGJONES | 10 years ago
0 likes

To be fair, although i see plenty f drivers on their phones , when a driver recently crossed a solid white line, nearly hit me then got out of his car and started abusing me. I reported it and the Greater Manchester Police have dealt with it very promptly and said they'd charge him with breach of the peace legislation.

This is mainly because there is a fair bit of CCTV in Manchester city center. one day we'll all have google glass (or some other variant), and people will have to be a whole lot more careful.

The fact is if you're not responsible enough to obey pretty simple road rules (bikes or cars), then the option of walking is always there.

Avatar
crazy-legs | 10 years ago
0 likes

Sadly, I think that the roads are just becoming a free-for-all.

Hampstead-bandit above ^^ quotes various examples of law-breaking cyclists, I can counter that with plenty of examples of law-breaking motorists from my 15-mile commute home through Manchester this evening. If you actually look for things (rather than "just riding along") it's amazing what you see - literally dozens of drivers on the phone, red light/yellow box/ASL infringements, queue-jumping - it beggered belief.

And yes, of course cyclists react to it by doing the same - some say it's their way of keeping safe (eg "anticipating" the light change to get a head start), some just do it cos they're dickheads, some do it cos - well, everyone else is. And that's the problem. There is almost no enforcement on the roads so this behaviour goes unchallenged so people do it more and more.

We don't need a well publicised "crackdown" at a couple of key junctions. We need total enforcement of the law for ALL road users, massive fines for phone use, proper sentences for driving offences (none of this £100 and a 3-point fine for driving without insurance rubbish). I've said it before but it could solve the national debt if we actually enforced the existing laws!

As for the bus driver... Would you rather one man lost his job or 20 people were killed/injured as a result of his actions?

Avatar
hampstead_bandit | 10 years ago
0 likes

@mikem22

I am regularly told to "f*ck off" by cyclists who have taken offence to my comment that they are riding the wrong way against oncoming traffic (normally a motor vehicle and me on my bike) whilst I am going down a one-way street

just this Saturday past in Covent Garden a women cycling a cargo bike gave me this attitude (called me a "f*cking wanker"); swerved around me and then was involved in a low-speed road traffic collision with a black cab driver who was driving with care and attention and very surprised to find the cargo bike wedged in his front bumper.

In the past year:

-I have been pushed against a wall on the pavement next to the canal in Camden by a cyclist trying to get past

-run over and knocked to the ground on a green pedestrian crossing light next to Camden tube station by a cyclist jumping the light. ended up with a bruised jaw and left arm, the cyclist fled dragging their bike

-had a women on a bike launch a foul mouthed barrage of abuse when she tried to force me off the pavement in Camden by Sainsbury's so she could get past on her bike, only for my shock to find her child also riding behind her

I can stand at the road junction in Kentish town road near my house during the morning commute and see dozens of cyclists jumping the red lights within 5 minutes

where the hell are the Police, because these are not isolated incidents?

Avatar
kie7077 replied to hampstead_bandit | 10 years ago
0 likes

-I have been pushed against a wall on the pavement next to the canal in Camden by a cyclist trying to get past

-run over and knocked to the ground on a green pedestrian crossing light next to Camden tube station by a cyclist jumping the light. ended up with a bruised jaw and left arm, the cyclist fled dragging their bike

-had a women on a bike launch a foul mouthed barrage of abuse when she tried to force me off the pavement in Camden by Sainsbury's so she could get past on her bike, only for my shock to find her child also riding behind her

 39 Were you deliberately obstructing people?

Avatar
Ush replied to hampstead_bandit | 10 years ago
0 likes
hampstead_bandit wrote:

@mikem22

I am regularly told to "f*ck off"

There, fixed that for you.

Avatar
Leviathan | 10 years ago
0 likes

Apropos of nothing:
This afternoon I was on my way home, crossing a green light at Moss Lane West in Whalley Range. A guy came out of the left and turn left in front of me and headed off in the same direction. Now he didn't hit me, or even nearly hit me though I had to brake a little. 5m might seem like a lot of space but 1 second isn't a lot of time. So I got back up to speed and whilst I went past him said (well shouted really) 'The next time you cut a red light in front of me I'll just push you over.'

This is of course totally untrue. It is very unlikely that this will happen again. And if he did happen to t-bone me one day I would be very unlikely to just be able to palm him off like a rugby forward, I would probably end up under a taxi instead.

However I was annoyed because I am just trying to get home from work, he has cut me up by running a red light and totally doesn't care. He thought 'I'm turning left, it doesn't count.' But more then that, having shouted at him, I now felt asinine for blurting out something threatening and what I said was pointless and just wound me even more.

So this guy was oblivious to what he had done and why I was angry, He probably though 'What a dick, what is his problem.' As I didn't have time to stop for a confrontation or give him a seminar on road safety he probably hasn't go a clue what I was saying or why. The fact that he was just pulling his apple earphones out and riding some kind of granny bike meant he couldn't chase me despite being about 15 years younger than me. (Bonus pedant point: no helmet; perhaps no space what with his huge ginger afro.)

The futility of all this tells me you can only share the road by a philosophy of good Karma; do as you would expect to be done by. This is why I thing the police should be looking out for wrong doers; taking the law into your own hands isn't the answer. Most people don't need the stress of having to worry what other people are going to do, you just want to expect them not to do wrong. So maybe don't buy a camera it will only serve to prove just how crazy everyone else is.

Avatar
eurotrash | 10 years ago
0 likes

Yes it's pity someone lost their job, but it's also a pity they lost themselves the job by knowingly flouting the rules of the road and putting lives at risk.

As for cyclists doing the same, sure, I see tons of cyclists doing dumb and illegal stuff as well (even if generally the risk to others is much less than when the same is done in a motorised vehicle) and would be overjoyed if both sides received a lot more scrutiny/points/fines.

Avatar
Velocibob | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm a keen cyclist and don't drive a car. I see drivers using their mobiles whilst driving, everyday. I've even seen a lady driver texting whilst going around a roundabout with a dog sat on her lap with its paws on the steering wheel. However, I am also seeing lots of cyclists riding and steering with one hand, whilst texting or phoning someone. We could keep ourselves very busy reporting such incidences to the police, with the advent of these video cameras. Just a bit more difficult with the cyclists, as they have no number plate for identification. May have to rely on observable tattoos. Big brother here we come!

Avatar
sue perb | 10 years ago
0 likes

Share the road.Be safe (Dave sherry  22

Avatar
hampstead_bandit | 10 years ago
0 likes

@flobble

agreed

some of the most hypocritical people i have encountered on my daily commute in London are cyclists wearing high-viz jackets, flashing lights and all, but jump every red light and ride through pedestrian crossings on their short journey

(I am following at a distance yet easily catching up)

yet very quick to anger if any motorist dares to make any movement on the highway!

when I stopped next to a women cyclist who displayed this terrible attitude she told me to "f*ck off, mind your own business" then proceeded to scream abuse at a motorist who was legally entitled to indicate and pull into the kerbside to drop off a passenger...

...I hate to say this but I just felt damn embarrassed to be associated with her through riding on 2 wheels.

I'd be more than happy for any road user to film me on my bike, because I don't break the law at any time; I don't need to it, its not clever, you don't get there any quicker and it just leads to accidents.

I'd also be very happy for all Police officers to be equipped with cameras because as a previous poster mentioned, they'd raise a huge amount of fines in a very short period of time. Or just position police on prominent traffic junctions during the rush hour commute and see what comes their way

The blatant law breaking I see every day, on my 3 mile commute from motorists and cyclists cannot be just in my imagination!

Let alone what I observe on 60-100 mile road rides through Surrey and London

Avatar
mikem22 replied to hampstead_bandit | 10 years ago
0 likes

Spot on Flobble. It seems to me that the standard of cycling in our city centres is equally as bad as the driving and filming incidents would show both groups in an equally bad light.

While on a bike myself in the summer, I saw a cyclist go through a junction and broadside into a car (where the car had the right of way). Whilst the cyclist picked himself up his mates started screaming at the female driver, including shouts of "Might have known, it's a f***ing woman driver" Don't think I've ever felt so ashamed to be a cyclist.

And today on the radio I heard a feature about residents in Surrey who are starting to get fed up with the attitude of cyclists. The woman being interviewed was explaining how one elderly driver had been spat at. Whatever the in's and out's of the actual incident, news bites like that on national radio is hardly doing the cycling community any favours.

hampstead_bandit wrote:

@flobble

agreed

some of the most hypocritical people i have encountered on my daily commute in London are cyclists wearing high-viz jackets, flashing lights and all, but jump every red light and ride through pedestrian crossings on their short journey

(I am following at a distance yet easily catching up)

yet very quick to anger if any motorist dares to make any movement on the highway!

when I stopped next to a women cyclist who displayed this terrible attitude she told me to "f*ck off, mind your own business" then proceeded to scream abuse at a motorist who was legally entitled to indicate and pull into the kerbside to drop off a passenger...

...I hate to say this but I just felt damn embarrassed to be associated with her through riding on 2 wheels.

I'd be more than happy for any road user to film me on my bike, because I don't break the law at any time; I don't need to it, its not clever, you don't get there any quicker and it just leads to accidents.

I'd also be very happy for all Police officers to be equipped with cameras because as a previous poster mentioned, they'd raise a huge amount of fines in a very short period of time. Or just position police on prominent traffic junctions during the rush hour commute and see what comes their way

The blatant law breaking I see every day, on my 3 mile commute from motorists and cyclists cannot be just in my imagination!

Let alone what I observe on 60-100 mile road rides through Surrey and London

Avatar
Municipal Waste | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have a video on my phone of 2 police motorbikes driving straight past a coach which was parked in a zig zag line area next to a pedestrian crossing. I haven't bothered to send it anywhere because there's no point, but it confirms my suspicion that the Police generally can't be bothered.

Avatar
Matt eaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

True, a bit OTT that he lost his job; he should have just had his driving licence taken away, that would have been fairer.  4

Avatar
A V Lowe replied to Matt eaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Are you trying to be deliberately ironic there Matt - without a driving licence a bus driver is somewhat unemployable  39

Avatar
Rational Dave | 10 years ago
0 likes

Am I the only one who thinks it's a disgrace that this poor man has lost his job? And for what??? This Dave Sherry character must have too much time on his hands if he's got nothing better to do than go around snitching off people. Very tawdry business if you ask me.  2

Avatar
farrell replied to Rational Dave | 10 years ago
0 likes
Rational Dave wrote:

Am I the only one who thinks it's a disgrace that this poor man has lost his job? And for what??? This Dave Sherry character must have too much time on his hands if he's got nothing better to do than go around snitching off people. Very tawdry business if you ask me.  2

To be honest, I preferred your earlier work, this now just seems like your heart isn't in this trolling business.

I'm going to give this a seemingly strict 2 out of 10 in the hope that it'll spur you on to give your next attempt at a wind up a bit more rice.

Pages

Latest Comments