Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

news

Joan Collins calls on Sadiq Khan to “do something” about dangerous cyclists before London “is ruined”

The 89-year-old actress claimed she was struck by a “masked cyclist with no lights” on the pavement

Dame Joan Collins has called on the Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, to “do something” about cyclists after one allegedly crashed into her on the pavement earlier this week, almost knocking her over.

The 89-year-old actress, who in 1983 was awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, was walking along Maiden Lane in Covent Garden at the time of the alleged incident on Thursday, on her way to dining with her husband Percy Gibson, Mamma Mia creator Judy Craymer, actor Christopher Biggins, and Stuart Machin, the chief executive of Marks and Spencer.

In an Instagram post, Collins said she was dropped off by a black cab driver and forced to walk to the restaurant Rules after discovering that Maiden Lane was closed to traffic.

“However, that didn’t stop a masked cyclist with no lights and weaving on the pavement from crashing into me, almost knocking me over,” she wrote.

The actress then turned her attentions to London’s mayor Sadiq Khan – who has faced criticism in recent weeks concerning his plans to expand the city’s Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) by the end of August – and called on the Labour politician to deal with what she believes to be the danger posed by cyclists, as well as the apparent inability to be dropped off at her destination by motor vehicle.

“How much longer must we live with closed roads and cyclists who consider themselves above the law?” she continued.

“Why don’t you do something, Sadiq Khan, before this beautiful city of London is ruined?”

> “Hostile and aggressive” pedestrian found guilty of killing 77-year-old cyclist in pavement cycling dispute

In response to Collins’ post, a spokesperson for the London mayor said: “The mayor is committed to making London as safe as possible for both cyclists and pedestrians.

“Walking and cycling have boomed in the last couple of years and the mayor has built hundreds of kilometres of new or upgraded cycle routes since the pandemic, and completed work to make some of the capital’s most dangerous and intimidating junctions safer.

“The mayor encourages everyone using London’s roads to do so safely to help make London the best city in the world to walk and cycle.”

> Transport minister: Responsible cyclists CAN ride on the pavement

Between 2016 and 2021, 2,472 pedestrians were injured in collisions involving cyclists in the UK, accounting for just over two percent of the total reported pedestrian casualties (122,961) in that period.

Ryan joined road.cc in December 2021 and since then has kept the site’s readers and listeners informed and enthralled (well at least occasionally) on news, the live blog, and the road.cc Podcast. After boarding a wrong bus at the world championships and ruining a good pair of jeans at the cyclocross, he now serves as road.cc’s senior news writer. Before his foray into cycling journalism, he wallowed in the equally pitiless world of academia, where he wrote a book about Victorian politics and droned on about cycling and bikes to classes of bored students (while taking every chance he could get to talk about cycling in print or on the radio). He can be found riding his bike very slowly around the narrow, scenic country lanes of Co. Down.

Add new comment

50 comments

Avatar
Adam Sutton replied to Awavey | 1 year ago
1 like

Err whataboutery would be harping on about an unrelated incident you yourself had on a shared infrastructure, or I dunno maybe bringing in the treatment of eldery during Covid into the fore.

I mean sure why should we take someones account at face value. Why should we take your account of your run in with mums at face value. I reckon there's a chance you were riding like a twat, I mean it's just your word isn't it?

Avatar
eburtthebike | 1 year ago
14 likes

Between 2016 and 2021, 2,472 pedestrians were injured in collisions involving cyclists in the UK, accounting for just over two percent of the total reported pedestrian casualties (122,961) in that period.

But no indication of who was at fault in those collisions, and having been knocked off three times by pedestrians stepping or running off the pavement without looking, I'm fairly sure who's to blame.

Avatar
NotNigel replied to eburtthebike | 1 year ago
7 likes

I can see why the hypocrisy card gets played on here so many times.  Pedestrian's hit by cars - driver should have been paying more attention.  
Pedestrian's hit by cyclist - pedestrian should have been paying more attention.

What's to say some of these instances of pedestrians hit by motorists aren't exactly the same situation as pedestrians hit by cyclists where the pedestrian wasn't paying attention and walked out from behind parked cars etc.

Yes, I'm well aware that the consequences are far more severe involving motorists, but the initial cause is the same.  You see it all the time, people transfixed on their phones, not aware of their surroundings...is the green cross code even a thing these days?

Avatar
fukawitribe replied to eburtthebike | 1 year ago
6 likes
eburtthebike wrote:

Between 2016 and 2021, 2,472 pedestrians were injured in collisions involving cyclists in the UK, accounting for just over two percent of the total reported pedestrian casualties (122,961) in that period.

But no indication of who was at fault in those collisions, and having been knocked off three times by pedestrians stepping or running off the pavement without looking, I'm fairly sure who's to blame.

Well done you for being "fairly sure" of where the blame lies in those nearly two and a half thousand incidents, based on your 3 encounters, impressive. That said, surely you should have been travelling in a manner, and at a speed, such that you could safely stop if someone did step out, even if for some reason you failed to spot them initially ?

Avatar
Adam Sutton replied to eburtthebike | 1 year ago
3 likes

That's right cyclists are blameless. Any wonder so many people have such a dim view of cyclists with attitdes like this? SMDH at 10 people clicking like this, though not really surprising here.

Avatar
ChrisB200SX replied to Adam Sutton | 1 year ago
3 likes
Adam Sutton wrote:

That's right cyclists are blameless. Any wonder so many people have such a dim view of cyclists with attitdes like this? SMDH at 10 people clicking like this, though not really surprising here.

A pathetic straw man. Nobody is saying cyclists are blameless and you are using whataboutery to try to distract from the issue...

The issue here is the highly questionable veracity of the Dame's claim, it simply does not stack up, at all. Picture posted earlier shows road is closed to motorvehicles... but it is blocked, forcing non-motorised traffic onto the pavement. Also, where was the taxi, how was her getting out of the taxi relevant? Or, the mask, or the lights, or weaving? Her story simply isn't believable, clearly some of the facts are entirely incorrect (the road is NOT closed) and the fact that she wasn't knocked over really shows the problem is not what she claims it to be at all. It's all so questionable that one of sound reason and logic would question whether anything in her statement was true at all. Why would the cyclist even be one the pavement when there is a perfectly good road that motorvehicles are banned from.

File under: old person shouts at sky.

Not a valid reason to start bashing people using bikes.

Avatar
HoarseMann | 1 year ago
5 likes

Ah, now I get it. After reading her instagram post, the issue that she discusses first and foremost is that of the road being closed. Was she perhaps a tad annoyed about having to walk a short distance to the restaurant?

The 'weaving cyclist' on the pavement story is a weak argument for the removal of modal filters, because cyclists just ride on the pavement anyway? What a load of entitled nonsense.

If you can't bear to walk such a short distance from your vehicle, I suggest you only visit restaurants that have a drive-thru.

Avatar
yupiteru | 1 year ago
10 likes

Lame dame without a brain.

Avatar
ShutTheFrontDawes replied to yupiteru | 1 year ago
9 likes

Hazard-prone Joan has a moan.

Avatar
Miller | 1 year ago
16 likes

Christ, how entitled does this old woman sound. Khan, clear the plebs out of my way!

Avatar
Awavey | 1 year ago
5 likes

What were we saying about groundhog day yesterday 😉

Avatar
eburtthebike replied to Awavey | 1 year ago
3 likes
Awavey wrote:

What were we saying about groundhog day yesterday 😉

Even at 78, she still looks better than groundhog.  Sorry, Cristo.

Avatar
brooksby | 1 year ago
12 likes

When this story was on the live blog earlier in the week, wasn't it raised that Maiden Lane is closed to motor traffic but still open for cyclists and horsists (and rollerbladers and scooterists) as well as pedestrians?

Avatar
Awavey replied to brooksby | 1 year ago
4 likes

Thats what the sign says...

https://maps.app.goo.gl/g9VR3Es2eFB2xCCeA

Avatar
Clem Fandango | 1 year ago
11 likes

In other news, I came all the way to the Isle of Wight to do some cycling. Stopped in to see some relatives and was pleased to find some dedicated cycle parking. Loads of room & free from cars.......oh

Avatar
eburtthebike replied to Clem Fandango | 1 year ago
9 likes
Clem Fandango wrote:

In other news, I came all the way to the Isle of Wight to do some cycling. Stopped in to see some relatives and was pleased to find some dedicated cycle parking. Loads of room & free from cars.......oh

That driver was doing you a favour and making sure you couldn't lock your bike to those wheelbenders.

Avatar
Clem Fandango replied to eburtthebike | 1 year ago
6 likes

Yeah no way I was using them anyway 😃

Avatar
Sredlums replied to Clem Fandango | 1 year ago
1 like

Their reputation is way worse than reality.

Racks like those have been in use everywhere here in The Netherlands for decades. Are they the best thinkable design? Certainly not. Have we been plagues by masses of bent wheels. Also certainly not.

Avatar
giff77 replied to Sredlums | 1 year ago
5 likes

Probably not plagued with banjaxed wheels as the average Dutch bike appears to be pretty much bomb proof. 

Avatar
chrisonabike replied to Sredlums | 1 year ago
3 likes

I thought the point was that in the UK bike theft and vandalism mean that cyclists favour very heavy bike- securing facilities which make it easy to lock both wheels and frame to with a D- lock (and also support the frame). In NL the much greater need for bike parking everywhere and thus cheaper and space- efficient systems means racks like this are almost required?

Nuance - apparently there's also LOTS of bike theft in NL but possibly an individual has less chance of experiencing it. Plus the most common bike types are different. Unsentimental bikes for transport in NL, very often equipped with ring lock build in for rear wheel and stand. I'm guessing the few with expensive carbon-fibre pride and joys tend to keep them as carefully as we do in the UK.

Pages

Latest Comments