Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

11spd Campag using an 11spd Shim cassette on a turbo?

I'm tempted to buy a new wheel off TT but I ride 11spd Campag and every TT I see comes with a Shimano freehub/cassette.

I believe you can use 11spd Campag with a Shimano cassette but has anyone actually done so?

Thanks in advance.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

bobbinogs | 2 years ago
3 likes

It works fine. My summer bike is 11 spd Campag Potenza but when it is a mixed day I stick my winter wheels on from my winter bike. They are Shim and normally run with 10spd so I bought a cheap 2nd hand 105 11spd cassette, removed the 10 spd spacer and it all works brilliantly. So much so that when the Campag cassette on my nice Campag wheels wears out I will stick a Shim freehub on and a cheap Shim cassette. So much more VFM and there is no downside as most OCD freaks can't spot the cassette mismatch!

matthewn5 | 2 years ago
1 like

Yes you can run 11 speed Campag cassettes with 11 speed Shimano groups, and 11 speed Shimano cassettes with 11 speed Campag groups. I have both and swap wheelsets without even remembering which is which.

fukawitribe | 2 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, plenty of people have done so, worth checking Velonews (and elsewhere) for various articles on this e.g. https://www.velonews.com/gear/drivetrain-compatibility-hidden-in-plain-s...

Technically there are fractional mm differences in cog spacing, but for all practical purposes it should Just Work. Also if this is for the trainer then any ERG mode stuff is only going to use a single front/rear cog combination anyway, so that'd be good with anything (preferably small chainring at the front)

Secret_squirrel | 2 years ago
0 likes

I dont think so.  I used to run a campy cassette on a shimano hub using the 10sp version of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392447718199

However given the price you are probably better off just getting a Campy free hub for the turbo.  Elite, Tacx and Wahoo all offer Campy hubs for their turbo's.

matlockmark replied to Secret_squirrel | 2 years ago
1 like

It's true that there is a significant difference in the spacings of 10-speed cogs between Campag and Shimano, preventing a simple substitution; however the 11-speed cog spacings are almost identical between the two.

I use campag wheels with an 11-speed campag cassette with my SRAM 11-speed gears (which need the same cog spacing as Shimano) without problems

Latest Comments