Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Disc Brakes for Pro Peloton

Interesting article - http://cyclingtips.com.au/2015/01/tour-of-flanders-to-trial-disc-brakes/

When choosing my new bike I tried a disc brake one and did not like it. Think they are ugly and I am very comfortable with caliber brakes. However they have to sell us something new and this is it.

Once the pro peloton has them then callipers (except for Campag of course) will slowly die out at the top and medium end bikes.

Is it progress ?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

86 comments

big mick | 9 years ago
0 likes

I remember people not wanting STI gears clip in pedals etc but now no one would ride without them.Things change for the better get over it.There not adding things to make the bikes worse.The same thing happened when disc brakes were first used on MTB's and motorbikes.It will add to unsprung weight to high tech etc.Same story here too.You would'nt buy a MTB or m/cycle with drum brakes.

therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes

new stuff, new standard (flat mount !), more profit ... it'll happen, but not on my dole
cheque ;), so deal with it.
I'd love some but as neither of my frames are disc ready then I'm stuck in the dark
ages of rim brakes.

pants | 9 years ago
0 likes

My only problem with disc brakes is that at the moment they are not compatible with a lot of existing things and costs, but if that wasn't an issue i'd have disc instantly, everything else have evolved to disc brakes for a reason.

ciderman_100 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I think the main thing is that we need a definitive rear spacing measurement and disc diameter otherwise you'll be locked to certain makers due to differing standard just look at the amount of bb sizes

PaulBox | 9 years ago
0 likes

If they are approved for the pro's we'll all be riding them in a few years. This is the reason I currently can't pull the trigger on a new bike. I'd happily buy another with normal brakes, but will that limit my options on replacement wheels in three years time?

Try buying a rim brake wheel for a mtb these days, yes you can, but not any of the best models.

Yorkshie Whippet | 9 years ago
0 likes

Like a few others I thought Roubaix 2016 was going to be the test event. I've been told that Shimano can not make enough systems to match demand.

As for my preference, I can remember splashing £100's on new shiny Hope brakes, ten years later still can not get them any better than a properly set up v brake. However the old XT discs are scarely good and miles better. Give it a few years I think on the whole we may no longer have a choice for new bikes it will be either disc or disc. By then any bugs and the standards will have been ironed out.

Until such time, I'll have to stick with the old tried and tested as I've splashed too much cash on a new bike to consider replacing the whole lot again.

Shep73 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I am just not prepared to spend over £600 for the same bike that is also a kilo heavier, my new bike is for dry weather only so I don't feel I need discs. just like 29er wheels, it's another fad to see us buy more stuff we didn't know we needed.

MTB disc brakes have their issues, boiling the oil on long fast descents, pad wear can be high in the right conditions. They will need sanding when they get contaminated with road film, grit and substances. They are not the easiest thing to bleed either.

You can also go past the braking power/limits of discs, anyone who may have ridden down the radio mast climb near Marlborough at high speed will know that discs have their limits.

hampstead_bandit | 9 years ago
0 likes

@Shep

MTB discs are really not as problematic as you make out.

Modern brake systems cope well with heat, pad wear for sintered pads is more than adequate when bedded in, if brakes are dosed with cycle disc brake cleaner after bike washing, contaminants are not as issue; I've never had to sand pads?

They are also easy to bleed (even avid) if you follow instructions. Yes, I am a professional bike mechanic, but disc brakes are easy to use and maintain.

I've ridden disc brakes all over the world including multiple trips to Canada for free ride and downhill at venues like Whistler where a run off Garbanzo through the lower bike park is 25+ minutes of constant descent. Can't say brakes have been an issue even in pissing rain/mud, and have used same set of pads for 4 week holiday, then still used them back in the UK.

matthewn5 | 9 years ago
0 likes

All the pro-disc people talk as if bikes still had drum brakes like cars did before disc brakes. That was a massive improvement.

Rim brakes are disk brakes. A caliper clamps on a disc. Of a sort, sure, but we are effectively changing a 622mm diameter disc for a 140mm disc. And adding hydraulics, what a faff.

[ducks for cover]

movingtarget | 9 years ago
0 likes

I must say in my personal experience, I have mech disc brakes on my winter (cyclocross) bike and I love them and hate them. It's very wet in Portland and on rainy days having the added reliable stopping power in traffic and on descents is the main reason why I bought a disc-equipped bike. That said, I really feel the drag on them in crosswinds where at times I'm fighting being pushed into traffic and there is definitely a weight penalty on climbs and group rides. Would I buy them again? Probably since it's a winter bike but not for the summer road bike.

Since the pros are doing alpine descents, I would think that the crosswind aerodynamics would have a significant impact.

surly_by_name | 9 years ago
0 likes

In 5 years time Road.cc will get page impressions by reposting this thread so we can all chuckle that tere was ever any debate about the use of disc brakes. I give you ..... mountain biking. It's done people. (My bet is that Campag are working with Formula to develop hydro solution. That or they will go the way of Suntour.) Keep riding whatever works best for you/makes you happiest, but my advice would be to avoid going too long on wheelsets 'cause in 3 years time you will struggle to buy a frame without 135mm OLD rear end/disc tabs.

Paul J | 9 years ago
0 likes

Disc breaks is for greek weddings, not bicycles.

Welsh boy replied to ciderman_100 | 9 years ago
0 likes
ciderman_100 wrote:

I think the main thing is that we need a definitive rear spacing measurement and disc diameter otherwise you'll be locked to certain makers due to differing standard just look at the amount of bb sizes

Why do we need those things standardised? We are locked into a manufacturer in so many other ways already. Have you got Shimano gears? If so, you are locked into their rear mech, shiters and brakes already. Same goes for SRAM and Campag. You pick your component manufacturer and go with their offerings.

pants replied to PaulBox | 9 years ago
0 likes
PaulBox wrote:

If they are approved for the pro's we'll all be riding them in a few years. This is the reason I currently can't pull the trigger on a new bike. I'd happily buy another with normal brakes, but will that limit my options on replacement wheels in three years time?

Try buying a rim brake wheel for a mtb these days, yes you can, but not any of the best models.

if you can still get square tapered BBs I am sure you will be able to get rimmed brake parts in three years time.

jacknorell replied to Shep73 | 9 years ago
0 likes
Shep73 wrote:

You can also go past the braking power/limits of discs, anyone who may have ridden down the radio mast climb near Marlborough at high speed will know that discs have their limits.

Sounds like a descent you'd only do very slowly on rim brakes... just saying.

And Shimano brakes are very easy to bleed, though never had much luck with SRAM / Avid ones...

joemmo replied to movingtarget | 9 years ago
0 likes
movingtarget wrote:

I must say in my personal experience, I have mech disc brakes on my winter (cyclocross) bike and I love them and hate them. It's very wet in Portland and on rainy days having the added reliable stopping power in traffic and on descents is the main reason why I bought a disc-equipped bike. That said, I really feel the drag on them in crosswinds where at times I'm fighting being pushed into traffic and there is definitely a weight penalty on climbs and group rides. Would I buy them again? Probably since it's a winter bike but not for the summer road bike.

Since the pros are doing alpine descents, I would think that the crosswind aerodynamics would have a significant impact.

Are you sure it's just the discs having this crosswind effect and not any of the significantly larger factors at play- like you or what you're wearing or what you had for breakfast?

700c replied to surly_by_name | 9 years ago
0 likes
surly_by_name wrote:

my advice would be to avoid going too long on wheelsets 'cause in 3 years time you will struggle to buy a frame without 135mm OLD rear end/disc tabs.

not sure I agree - and in any case that assumes people view bike frames as disposable items with a short life. I fully intend to still be on my ti frame in 3 years time and won't be 'upgrading' it simply because the new things is a new brake system or bottom bracket standard, or whatever

fukawitribe replied to matthewn5 | 9 years ago
0 likes
drmatthewhardy wrote:

All the pro-disc people talk as if bikes still had drum brakes like cars did before disc brakes.

No they don't.

big mick replied to Welsh boy | 9 years ago
0 likes
Welsh boy wrote:
ciderman_100 wrote:

Why do we need those things standardised? We are locked into a manufacturer in so many other ways already. Have you got Shimano gears? If so, you are locked into their rear mech, shiters and brakes already. Same goes for SRAM and Campag. You pick your component manufacturer and go with their offerings.

Yea but all axle spacing are the same on all those groupsets you've listed.All the groupsets fit any/all frames for now hence the need for standard sizings so all frames pair with new disc brake groupsets

Shep73 replied to jacknorell | 9 years ago
0 likes
jacknorell wrote:
Shep73 wrote:

And Shimano brakes are very easy to bleed, though never had much luck with SRAM / Avid ones...

But the Pro's hit them at speed, and the point I'm getting at is complacency in riders who may think they have more power than they actually have on fast descents. Shimano are better for bleeding apparently but you have to be patient with them. Some people just don't get on with it so it's a job for their LBS.

movingtarget replied to joemmo | 9 years ago
0 likes

LOL, well I am more likely to eat oatmeal in the winter ....

But seriously, there are even wind tunnel tests showing that ~20 degree crosswinds produce significant and consistent drag on disc vs rim braked bikes. The rotor's a small surface area but when you have 20+ mph swirling gusts or microshears which happen pretty frequently where I ride and in alpine conditions it'll be noticeable.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/12/bikes-and-tech/discs-drag-wind-tu...

mrmo replied to 700c | 9 years ago
0 likes
700c wrote:
surly_by_name wrote:

my advice would be to avoid going too long on wheelsets 'cause in 3 years time you will struggle to buy a frame without 135mm OLD rear end/disc tabs.

not sure I agree - and in any case that assumes people view bike frames as disposable items with a short life. I fully intend to still be on my ti frame in 3 years time and won't be 'upgrading' it simply because the new things is a new brake system or bottom bracket standard, or whatever

Have a look at the MTB market for what may be about to happen. You can get 26" kit, however considering this is the first year of 650's from the major manufacturers it is shocking how quickly the good stuff is being dropped. Lots of stuff is only in 650 or 29.

I was looking at Chainreaction the other day for a 9spd rear mech for the mtb, and again not much choice, XT or deore i think. I seem to remember that it was RockShox policy to manufacture spares for nothing over three years. Obviously parts that were common could be used but anything model specific and you started to have problems.

So yes you might want to keep your bike a while but the manufacturers certainly won't be providing the spares to keep it going any longer than they deem necessary.

Just to be clear spares will be available, just don't expect the good stuff.

jacknorell replied to Shep73 | 9 years ago
0 likes
Shep73 wrote:
jacknorell wrote:
Shep73 wrote:

But the Pro's hit them at speed, and the point I'm getting at is complacency in riders who may think they have more power than they actually have on fast descents. Shimano are better for bleeding apparently but you have to be patient with them. Some people just don't get on with it so it's a job for their LBS.

Apart from being a mistake you'd only do once...

Who in their right mind would slam on the brakes at max velocity rather than learn where the limit is beforehand?

Power is not an issue, grip runs out long before, btw.

Cyclist replied to jacknorell | 9 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

Who in their right mind would slam on the brakes at max velocity rather than learn where the limit is beforehand?

Power is not an issue, grip runs out long before, btw.

Just like the born again bikers, who make up the highest death rate for motorcycling, not realising the power available at the lower CC end, Mamils are the equivalent, have not ridden a bike for 25yrs, and only have the previous tech to base their knowledge on. I have seen more mamils at the side of the road bleeding than I have ever done teens/twenties etc. lighter faster more powerful braking, just the same as motorcycles.
I think personally there should be a minimum skill level and fitness test for riding on the road. 10mph is not safe on any road with cars on. IMO.... I will say that again....IMO. Not yours not anyone else's, mine.  16

benevans | 9 years ago
0 likes

Has anyone had there finger caught in a disc brake rotor? with mass pileups rather frequent in road racing, is this something that should concern the UCI?

Welsh boy replied to benevans | 9 years ago
0 likes
benevans wrote:

Has anyone had there finger caught in a disc brake rotor? with mass pileups rather frequent in road racing, is this something that should concern the UCI?

Has anyone been bitten by a sharp chainring, has anyone caught their finger in rotating spokes, has anyone hit their face/head on the floor? All considerations in bunch crashes so I dont think this is a real worry for the UCI.

mrmo replied to Welsh boy | 9 years ago
0 likes
Welsh boy wrote:
benevans wrote:

Has anyone been bitten by a sharp chainring, has anyone caught their finger in rotating spokes, has anyone hit their face/head on the floor? All considerations in bunch crashes so I dont think this is a real worry for the UCI.

And the UCI banned spinergy wheels and spinaci's because of safety questions. (at least that was the given reason)

And you could say, why add more dangerous things to a bike? isn't the risk of chainring gouges bad enough, why add the risk of burns into the mix?

Jimmy Ray Will | 9 years ago
0 likes

Unless the UCI change the rules for racing beforehand, I reckon I'm a good 3 years from using discs. As discs are now, I am not convinced... well I am fully aware of the benefits provided, but I think the hassle that comes with discs currently outweighs these.

Moving forward however, once standard affair amongst the pros, these hassles will be ironed out, and I'll be all over discs.

By hassle, I am specifically talking about the joy of pad corruption, rubbing discs, swift wheel changes, cables that are a ball ache to trim etc etc.

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes

Probably important to remember that the promotion of disc braked road bikes has very little to do with anything other than a desire to sell you new stuff to replace the stuff you already have and that you hadn't realised was out-of-date stuff.
See various other things like the stuff regularly reviewed on websites...

We'll end up with 'better', for a given value of better...

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm not actually as much of a retro-grouch as I have been painted, and I accept a number of the advantages of discs.
I'm not fully sold on the frame issue; I think that the reinforcing required for discs will pretty much always mean that frames end up heavier at the rear end and at the fork ends.
The lack of a braking surface is ...maybe... an advantage, but you'll still have a rim which requires sides...
Bigger tyres is not a reasonable reason; I've got 35mm tyres on one bike with rim brakes.

They are an advantage for some types of riding.
They are not a universal advantage.
As noted above; it's a relatively small change in the ability to slow down, not a major advance in cycling tech.

...they've also been available in one form or another for at least a couple of years; so why the big fuss?

Pages

Latest Comments