Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Planet-X RT -58 Carbon - which one?

Hello everyone.

I have been following the forum for a while and learned a lot here (thanks!) but this is my first post. I started daily commuting in London some years ago and have been riding an hybrid Tachyon GT 4. I have done quite a few thousand miles on it and enjoyed changing various parts as they gave up the ghost.

I think I am ready to try a road bike. I'd go for alloy but I can see the price of carbon frames has plummetted while I was learning to cycle, so I am quite tempted. I see many here stating that the RX-58 Carbon by Planet-X is a perfectly OK frame. Can I check with you whether this comment applies to someone heavier than average (90kg) who would need a fairly comfortable bike? I do 15miles daily without a problem and want to do longer stints at weekends.

If the frame is fine, can I ask you for advice between the

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXRT58RIV22BNC/planet-x-rt-58-carbon-sram...

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXRT58CTIA/planet-x-rt-58-shimano-tiagra-...

Shimano or or Sram? Both at £799 right now.

I've been with Shimano on previous bikes but they were cheap groupsets so I guess these are completely different pieces of kit.

Thanks!

Alex

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

74 comments

Gareth W-R | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have had mine for a while now and have covered a couple of thousand miles on it in the last 6 months ish. It is still solid despite being caught out by a pot hole or 2. I have even ridden through winter on this and it is still going strong.
One thing that has happened I am not too happy about is the plastic guides that go through the frame have somehow stuck in the frame. Where the cables enter the frame there appears to be some galvanisation ( presumably the reason for the guides seizing )
Still like the frame and the way it rides, its light at 7kg for the xs frame with campag build. Great at climbing and comfy.
Prices have come down now so an even better deal now. Bit of good and bad, for this price it will have compromises but still love mine.

Dr Concrete | 9 years ago
0 likes

I forgot to mention in my previous post, I didn't ave to trek to Sheffield or Barnsley (I am an exiled Lancastrian doing missionary work in the Sout East), I went to St Albans

http://www.triathlon-zone.com/bikes2.html

Where a very nice chap called Pete will advise, size and provide the opportunity to test ride on a turbo various Planet X models.

alexwlondon | 9 years ago
0 likes

Given the much higher prices with decent groupsets I am switching back to decent Aluminium. Currently thinking of the Radon R1 4.0 which can be had for £720-£730 delivered.
http://www.bike-discount.de/de/kaufen/radon-r1-4.0-239502/wg_id-110. It's got a full 105 and decent wheels as far as I can see.

I am still considering the Canyon AL 6.0 but I am annoyed they sell them at 999 euros to Europe mainland and 899 pounds to Britain. I am trying to talk to them to see if they'd sell it to 999 euros to me. I might prefer the Radon anyway, even if I think the Canyon might keep its value better.

Still kicking myself for having missed the PX58 Rival. I see the PX changes nearly daily. I might wait just a few more days.

Thanks for all the comments - let me know if I am on the wrong track, for example if you think that I should be getting a PX58 Tiagra (still £799!) than a Radon (al) 105 (for £730 or so). Someone at work has mentioned that for what I want to do with the bike durability and robustness should be important; hence I should be getting the Tiagra over the 105 anyway!

alexwlondon | 8 years ago
0 likes

OK - I think w're coming to the end of my saga on which bike entry to get.
PX has loaded some more bikes on their catalogue. They are now doing the Pro Carbon (which I understand to be quite similar to their RT58) in
* the Rival variant for £899 http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPBLK/planet-x-pro-carbon-black-editio.... A57 wheels.
* the Apex variant for £799; Campagnolo Khamsin wheels.
* Tiagra variant; also £799; Campagnolo Khamsin wheel.

From what I can see online it seems to me both the Khamsin and the A57 are actually rather poor in terms of relative robustness and remaining true over time.

Given this I am still looking at the Radon R1 4.0 as an alternative.
http://www.radon-bikes.de/en/bikes/rennrad/training/r1/r1-40/
It's not Carbon, but it's light and comes with full 105 set and Mavic Aksium S wheels, which, although not great, seem much better than the Khamsin or the A57. The R1 comes to £720-750 delivered.

Right now I cannot see why I should not get the R1 4.0. Am i wrong?
I grew fond of the double tapping SRAM system even if I have never used it; but I am sure I can live with Shimano too!

I will buy one or the other on Monday - any last thoughts? Thanks!!

poppyroad | 8 years ago
0 likes

You could always look at mrcarbonuk.com they import.

0 likes

Got a Radon R1 in the end and very happy with it. I can finally hit the road!  103

0 likes

Great to hear all that. I also came to the conclusion the RT58 would have been great. It was a shame PX pulled the offer without warning and did not let me get the old price. It would have been 400 pounds more; so I am happy with the Radon that I got for 700 pounds.

Just out of curiosity all of you happy with the RT58, are you still riding the PX stock wheels, or did you change them? I came to the conclusion I'd have had to replace them soon.

0 likes

Sounds great Patchy. Hope to do something like that myself in a couple of years.  16

PS: Not sure it's so easy these days to get PX to build to spec.

H666 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I have been riding a RT58 Ultegra 6800 (size XL) for 12 months in which time I have done 7,000KM over mountainous rough roads. I have had no problems at all with the frame other than keeping the matte black clean. I wish the RT58 frame were still around as I would buy another for sure.

Mrmiik replied to Dr Concrete | 9 years ago
0 likes
Dr Concrete wrote:

I forgot to mention in my previous post, I didn't ave to trek to Sheffield or Barnsley (I am an exiled Lancastrian doing missionary work in the Sout East), I went to St Albans

http://www.triathlon-zone.com/bikes2.html

Where a very nice chap called Pete will advise, size and provide the opportunity to test ride on a turbo various Planet X models.

How does one 'test ride' on a turbo? You can get set up but I doubt 'test ride'.

Batchy replied to alexwlondon | 8 years ago
0 likes
alexwlondon wrote:

Great to hear all that. I also came to the conclusion the RT58 would have been great. It was a shame PX pulled the offer without warning and did not let me get the old price. It would have been 400 pounds more; so I am happy with the Radon that I got for 700 pounds.

Just out of curiosity all of you happy with the RT58, are you still riding the PX stock wheels, or did you change them? I came to the conclusion I'd have had to replace them soon.

I bought my PX RT58 frame separately and built it up with an almost new Ultegra 6700 10s groupset from another bike apart from new 6800 52/36 chainset. The wheels are Mavic Kysium Elites. Deda rhm 2 bars and stem. PX carbon post and Flite Original saddle. Cost £1800. Weight 16lbs 7oz or 7.45 KGS. I have not had experience with PX Wheels.
You can get PX to build/upgrade to your spec if required so I believe !

Craig S replied to Gareth W-R | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hi Gareth W-R,

How did you resolve the plastic guide stuck to the frame issue? I have the same problem right now on my RT58 carbon, and my LBS are unable to sort it. They even spoke to PX but they didn't want to know.

To be clear, I am unable to get the derauilleur cable to function properly due to a blockage which appears to be a collapsed intenal cable guide. The bike was purchased 2 years ago and I don't expect PX to be able to do much, considering other posts I have seen about their customer service, but it appears the design / cable guide is not fit for purpose.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Craig

Batchy replied to Gareth W-R | 8 years ago
0 likes
Gareth W-R wrote:

I have had mine for a while now and have covered a couple of thousand miles on it in the last 6 months ish. It is still solid despite being caught out by a pot hole or 2. I have even ridden through winter on this and it is still going strong.
One thing that has happened I am not too happy about is the plastic guides that go through the frame have somehow stuck in the frame. Where the cables enter the frame there appears to be some galvanisation ( presumably the reason for the guides seizing )
Still like the frame and the way it rides, its light at 7kg for the xs frame with campag build. Great at climbing and comfy.
Prices have come down now so an even better deal now. Bit of good and bad, for this price it will have compromises but still love mine.

Further to my previous posts I have now done 2000 miles on my RT58. IMO this bike/frame is brilliant though it has now been superseded by the RT80.
The plastic internal cable tubes are not meant to be left in the frame. Once that the cables have been threaded through the plastic guide tubes these are then removed by sliding them out of the frame off over the cables.To replace a cable - BEFORE REMOVING IT - simply re thread the SAVED plastic guide tube back over the old cable back into position through the frame. Now remove old cable and re thread new one as above. I hope that this helps solve your problem.

Dr Concrete | 9 years ago
0 likes

FWIW I ride a PX RT 58 with SRAM Rival. It's my first carbon frame, I have ridden steel prior to this. I am tall and relatively heavy 1.93m and 95kg. I chose it because it looked to me like a great balance of spec, price and looks. It's all personal really.

If it makes the OP any happier, I bought mine last autumn, so I also missed out on the recent bargain prices. On the plus side, I have been able to enjoy what I think is a great bike. My second outing was the South Downs 100 last October, I had a great time, the wifli gearing was just what I needed to get over Butser after 80 miles.

So far it has not spontaneously collapsed, despite being ridden reasonably hard over some terrible roads in the Surrey Hills. One of my other bikes is a carbon framed Giant Cadex MTB, still going strong after more than 20 years. I think that the frame is the only original part of the bike, everything else has been replaced after being worn out.  1

Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes

What PX frames are they with the chain stays bust And are they all the same type?

I don't have one myself, but I know of many people who have PX carbon, road,track and TT frames, even some old ones, I don't know any that have broke them.

I suppose though if the warranty pays out as claimed above (although there is also good feedback out there) then it does warrant some consideration.

Lots of brands do lifetime frame warranties, but you pay for that.

Batchy | 9 years ago
0 likes

Nice picture of cracked PX frame. However this is not an RT 58 Carbon frame as per original question. I thought that it was the RT 58 that we were all supposed to be discussing. I would not be a happy bunny if my bike frame cracked either but according to comments on this topic this does not make PX frames any less likely to fail than other makes, some costing a lot more money.

Chasseur Patate replied to Batchy | 9 years ago
0 likes
Batchy wrote:

Nice picture of cracked PX frame. However this is not an RT 58 Carbon frame as per original question. I thought that it was the RT 58 that we were all supposed to be discussing. I would not be a happy bunny if my bike frame cracked either but according to comments on this topic this does not make PX frames any less likely to fail than other makes, some costing a lot more money.

As I said, that's one of three PX frames I've seen go crunch and none of them through impact. Regardless of frame PX told him them they wouldn't replace them or simply offered 10% off the cost of a new one, so the gash product + customer service is relevant and people might like to know.

Batchy replied to Chasseur Patate | 9 years ago
0 likes

Have all the PX frames cracked in the same place ( chainstays )?

Chasseur Patate replied to Batchy | 9 years ago
0 likes
Batchy wrote:

One of the others was also chainstay but non-drive side and closer to the BB. The other was the toptube about two inches back from the headtube. All proper snaps, not just cracks.

PonteD replied to Chasseur Patate | 9 years ago
0 likes
Chasseur Patate wrote:
Batchy wrote:

One of the others was also chainstay but non-drive side and closer to the BB. The other was the toptube about two inches back from the headtube. All proper snaps, not just cracks.

So do you think I should stop bunny hopping potholes on my ProCarbon?  4

wycombewheeler replied to PonteD | 9 years ago
0 likes
dazwan wrote:
Chasseur Patate wrote:
Batchy wrote:

So do you think I should stop bunny hopping potholes on my ProCarbon?  4

better than just plowing into the pothole

Chasseur Patate replied to PonteD | 9 years ago
0 likes
dazwan wrote:

]So do you think I should stop bunny hopping potholes on my ProCarbon?  4

Nah, I'd just not bother putting too many watts down.

vonhelmet | 9 years ago
0 likes

My neighbour had a clubmate's cracked Orbea frame in his garage for a while fwiw.

alexwlondon | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks everyone for your advice. I read everyone comments several times before looking around a little bit more before deciding to get the SRAM version of the PX58 a couple of weeks ago.

Unfortunately in the meantime the bike had gone up in price. I contacted PlanetX who told me they cannot bring back the price. What a shame - lesson learnt. I then decided to switch to the sculptura carbon but that's also gone up by 100pounds. The PX58 tiagra is still available but I've decided I'd get a 105 or above; or switch to an alloy frame.

I just wasn't aware PX would move the prices around so much in a matter of days. So here I am with no bike with a glorious weather out. Silly me; lesson learnt. I'll keep looking. If you're back from your ride and want to offer further input, please feel free to. It's much appreciated.

Oh last thing, I'd absolutely love to be building the bike. The prices for the components mentioned by davieke are still available. I've changed several things on my own bike over the years. However, doing a whole bike, I fear I may be pushing my abilities a little too much and with little time in my hands I'd rather not do it. Next bike!

backflipbedlem replied to alexwlondon | 8 years ago
0 likes
alexwlondon wrote:

...Unfortunately in the meantime the bike had gone up in price. I contacted PlanetX who told me they cannot bring back the price. What a shame - lesson learnt.

I just wasn't aware PX would move the prices around so much in a matter of days. So here I am with no bike with a glorious weather out. Silly me; lesson learnt.

This is a lesson I also learnt the hard way, Planet X always change their prices, the flip side is they often have great deals on their bikes, but when you see that deal, don't wait around too long because just as you decide to buy you'll realise it's gone up £200!
I was 20 mins late getting a full 6800 Ultegra Pro Carbon for £999!  40
Not bitter at all! lol
Went with the SRAM Rival instead,
Had it a year, and still absolutely love it! Would defo recommend Planet X! Really friendly and helpful staff! Great Brand!

Natrix | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've snapped steel and titanium frames, but my Planet X pro carbon is still going strong.  16

fenix | 9 years ago
0 likes

Photos of the cracked frames or its just hearsay.

I'm on three Px frames now and they're possibly the most popular bike for triathlons.

They're cheap cos they haven't the overheads of the bigger brands and sell direct through their shops. They aren't going to take short cuts.

Chasseur Patate replied to fenix | 9 years ago
0 likes
fenix wrote:

Photos of the cracked frames or its just hearsay.

I'm on three Px frames now and they're possibly the most popular bike for triathlons.

They're cheap cos they haven't the overheads of the bigger brands and sell direct through their shops. They aren't going to take short cuts.

Happy to oblige.

Chasseur Patate | 9 years ago
0 likes

Having just been told how my clubmate is getting on with a resolution to his snapped frame, turns out their customer service is absolutely shocking too, more reasons why they're cheap.

Chasseur Patate | 9 years ago
0 likes

Doesn't change that I've seen three snap. I'm only going by my experiences. They're open moulds made by xpace in China. I suspect it's down to the layup and QC. Still, it's not my money / bones. They're disposable bikes in a way and priced accordingly. As long as people know what they're getting I don't have a dog in the fight.

Pages

Latest Comments