Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Road.cc Live News Blog

So, what do you think of it?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

26 comments

CygnusX1 | 5 years ago
0 likes

BUMP: Has this feature gone altogether? With all the "fun" of the new mobile site I hadn't noticed that the daily rolling blog stories had stopped.  Just realised I've not seen it for a week or maybe more.

Tony Farrelly | 6 years ago
0 likes

Just looked and you are the same one… confusing. 

Anyway, as I said above I'm sure we'll be tweaking the format of the blog as we go along. In fact I know we will.

And to answer Barry's question regarding whether we have enough stories to fill a live news blog - unless it's a really quiet news day yes we do, easily. Loads of potential news stories don't make it on to the site - in fact none of them made it on to the Live blog either today. That said whether we want to put a load of the things deemed not as newsworthy above the stuff we did deem newsworthy even if the news stories we chose to cover are the biggest part of the feed  is defo one to ponder.

brooksby replied to Tony Farrelly | 6 years ago
2 likes

Tony Farrelly wrote:

Anyway, as I said above I'm sure we'll be tweaking the format of the blog as we go along. In fact I know we will.

And to answer Barry's question regarding whether we have enough stories to fill a live news blog - unless it's a really quiet news day yes we do, easily. Loads of potential news stories don't make it on to the site - in fact none of them made it on to the Live blog either today. That said whether we want to put a load of the things deemed not as newsworthy above the stuff we did deem newsworthy even if the news stories we chose to cover are the biggest part of the feed  is defo one to ponder.

Or even have a /news page and a separate /liveblog page, perhaps?

I mainly read road.cc on my phone (an older iPhone), and waiting for the live blog to finish loading so I can scroll down to the static news headlines, all the while with my fingers crossed that something's not going to pop up and block everything (yes, I know you're looking into that yes​ ) is a bit of a pain, tbh.

Tony Farrelly replied to brooksby | 6 years ago
0 likes

brooksby wrote:

Tony Farrelly wrote:

Or even have a /news page and a separate /liveblog page, perhaps?

I mainly read road.cc on my phone (an older iPhone), and waiting for the live blog to finish loading so I can scroll down to the static news headlines, all the while with my fingers crossed that something's not going to pop up and block everything (yes, I know you're looking into that yes​ ) is a bit of a pain, tbh.

Today we've turned the story display limit down from 10 to 5 so that should cut down on the scrolling to get past it, we're looking at some further tweaks tomorrow too which should cut that out all together.

1 like

Bye then Barry, close the door on your way out… 

Oh hang on, I was going to ask if you were connected to the other BarryBianchi that's just registered on the site?

0 likes

We've added an i-frame to the top of the news page, you only need to scroll down a bit and your on the normal news page and the fluff is gone.
This is very early days so there is going to be a degree of tinkering, tweaking and possibly completely changing the format, until we think it works the way it should. 

CygnusX1 replied to Tony Farrelly | 6 years ago
1 like

Tony Farrelly wrote:

We've added an i-frame to the top of the news page, you only need to scroll down a bit and your on the normal news page and the fluff is gone.

For me, in the office ( IE 11.0.9600.18816), scrolling down "a bit" is equivalent to about 3 full screens of "fluff".  The "proper" News is way below the New Forum topics panel.

BarryBianchi replied to CygnusX1 | 6 years ago
1 like

CygnusX1 wrote:

For me, in the office ( IE 11.0.9600.18816), scrolling down "a bit" is equivalent to about 3 full screens of "fluff".  The "proper" News is way below the New Forum topics panel.

Ditto on Firefox.  Can we please get this stuff off the top of the news page?  Incredibly annoying example of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Tony Farrelly replied to BarryBianchi | 6 years ago
0 likes

BarryBianchi wrote:

CygnusX1 wrote:

Ditto on Firefox.  Can we please get this stuff off the top of the news page?  Incredibly annoying example of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

CygnusX1 Most of the live news blog is made up of links to the stories you're scrolling down to links to…

Er, not after one day we can't Barry sorry.

BarryBianchi replied to Tony Farrelly | 6 years ago
0 likes

Tony Farrelly wrote:

So - fine to foist it without asking anyone.  Do you really think you have enough stuff to justify a live blog we have to wade though?  Well, you don't.  It's bloody irritating and nothing more.

Fine - I'm off, I'm sure people who want this "live" nonsense filling their screens will love it.

alansmurphy replied to BarryBianchi | 6 years ago
1 like

BarryBianchi wrote:

Tony Farrelly wrote:

So - fine to foist it without asking anyone.  Do you really think you have enough stuff to justify a live blog we have to wade though?  Well, you don't.  It's bloody irritating and nothing more.

Fine - I'm off, I'm sure people who want this "live" nonsense filling their screens will love it.

Walkers crisps forgot to ask me before making these new flavours - diskustink!

CygnusX1 replied to alansmurphy | 6 years ago
0 likes

alansmurphy wrote:

Walkers crisps forgot to ask me before making these new flavours - diskustink!

Nor me, but they didn't put the new lime and chilli crisps in a box labelled with one of the old flavours.  Now I don't mind giving the lime/chilli a go, but not when I thought I was grabbing a bag of salt 'n' vinegar.

NPlus1Bikelights | 6 years ago
1 like

Strava's recent changes did not teach you anything then about adding fluff to a good formula?

Not a fan, looks very rushed. Requires much more scrolling down to view a handful of stories as page room is given to rubbish (white space, social controls, author name, title (surrounded by lots of white space)) so only one post fits on my large screen, give me a grid view at least please. 

The images are also to big for quality and look very ugly. Not designed for the sizes you have them at.

Please rethink or do I need to download an array of Firefox apps to undo the changes client side?

peted76 | 6 years ago
0 likes

I can comment on IG.. they've not found me there yet....MWAH HA HA HA!

alansmurphy | 6 years ago
1 like

Gives us all something to moan about, ***** from me, or * I can't decide...

0 likes

@peted76 The idea is also to incorporate the pick of people's comments from the actual news stories too to give a flavour plus to allow people to dip in with a comment using via social media using the #roadccliveblog hashtag

Canyon48 replied to Tony Farrelly | 6 years ago
0 likes

Tony Farrelly wrote:

@peted76 The idea is also to incorporate the pick of people's comments from the actual news stories too to give a flavour plus to allow people to dip in with a comment using via social media using the #roadccliveblog hashtag

Like the sound of that, seems there's often a few comments over and fb from users - would be good to get them shared here too

dave atkinson | 6 years ago
0 likes

it's not like we're stopping doing proper news stories if you want to vent your spleen, this is just another string to the bow

peted76 | 6 years ago
1 like

It's an interesting idea, bringing all of the social stuff together in one place.. 

Bit of a bummer that I can't comment on the social media within this 'safe zone' of a site. I'll have to use social media identities to comment if I felt that way inclined. This makes me uncomfortable, some social media stuff 'work' sees and could hold against me if they ever realised how little attention I actually put into getting paid each week.

Canyon48 | 6 years ago
0 likes

I quite like it, seems really good for getting the news quickly (like during a break at work!).

CygnusX1 | 6 years ago
2 likes

I love it when a site listens to its readers!  4

2 likes

date format: amended

CygnusX1 | 6 years ago
1 like

Maybe so, but perhaps it needs its own URL? Also dates are in MM/DD/YYYY format - very annoying!

2 likes

also, there's lots of news we can't or don't cover: there's only so many hours in a day, and lots of it isn't worth writing up into a full news story. this allows us to talk about those things too.

we'll be de-messing it over the coming weeks as we get the hang of it  1

simonmb | 6 years ago
0 likes

It's going to be fine. An efficient way of skimming through what's new and newsy. Quicker than scolling the site. I hope they stick with it.

CygnusX1 | 6 years ago
1 like

Can't say I'm too keen so far. Looks messy , slow to render and I'm not in such a hurry to get cycling news as it breaks.

Latest Comments