Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Will the Pea-Brained cyclist who did this stand up and explain themselves!

...Because I cant. Please read my blog ... http://bike-write.co.uk/im-speechless/

What chance do we have to convince the non-cycling public that we are reasonable, responsible and public spirited people when one of our number does this !

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

77 comments

barbarus | 5 years ago
2 likes

Who is Will, the pea-brained cyclist?

BigglesMeister | 5 years ago
1 like

Dear OP,

Did you read the writing on the side of the cannister to see if it was CO2 or N2O ?

Did you actually check that the inner tube was punctured ?

Whats' the long tube (mouth piece) that appears to be fitted over the valve ?

It's a rather rash assumption that a cyclist left the litter as if you look closely at the photo you can see that there is no cycle branding label on the cannister (which also helps to stop the thing sticking to your hand when inflating) which suggests it's of the catering kind.

It may be that a nefarious Nitrous Oxide (N2O) abuser inflated the inner tube from the cartridge (using an appropriate pocket device).  They then inhaled multiple small hits from the inner tube instead of blowing the back of their head off taking it directly from the cannister.  They could also have passed it round to their mates for a go.

Once they were done with it they lobbed the litter out of the car window.

hawkinspeter replied to BigglesMeister | 5 years ago
1 like

BigglesMeister wrote:

Dear OP,

Did you read the writing on the side of the cannister to see if it was CO2 or N2O ?

It's a rather rash assumption that a cyclist left the litter as if you look closely at the photo you can see that there is no cycle branding label on the cannister (which also helps to stop the thing sticking to your hand when inflating) which suggests it's of the catering kind.

It may be that a nefarious Nitrous Oxide (N2O) abuser inflated the inner tube from the cartridge (using an appropriate pocket device).  They then inhaled multiple small hits from the inner tube instead of blowing the back of their head off taking it directly from the cannister.  They could also have passed it round to their mates for a go.

I had always thought that nitrous oxide was NO, but apparently NO is nitric oxide - you learn something every day. I'm not convinced that someone would use an inner tube to huff N2O as you wouldn't be able to connect it to the creamer device whereas a typical balloon can just be stretched over the nozzle (and is cheaper).

barbarus wrote:

Exactly, that's what we're trying to find out.

BigglesMeister replied to hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
0 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

BigglesMeister wrote:

Dear OP,

I had always thought that nitrous oxide was NO, but apparently NO is nitric oxide - you learn something every day. I'm not convinced that someone would use an inner tube to huff N2O as you wouldn't be able to connect it to the creamer device whereas a typical balloon can just be stretched over the nozzle (and is cheaper).

barbarus wrote:

Exactly, that's what we're trying to find out.

The cannister looks threaded so any cycling inflator (e.g. innovations) would be perfect for inflating the tube with N2O.

hawkinspeter replied to BigglesMeister | 5 years ago
0 likes

BigglesMeister wrote:

The cannister looks threaded so any cycling inflator (e.g. innovations) would be perfect for inflating the tube with N2O.

That would bring us back to blaming cyclists as the suppliers of N2O would be selling creamery products rather than cycling products. However, if a cyclist fancies a quick hit mid-ride, then it would save weight to use your spare inner tube and inflator, but I don't know why you'd throw away the inner tube if it wasn't punctured.

DaSy replied to hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
1 like

hawkinspeter wrote:

However, if a cyclist fancies a quick hit mid-ride, then it would save weight to use your spare inner tube and inflator, but I don't know why you'd throw away the inner tube if it wasn't punctured.

The chances are his/her decision making was impaired, due to the hit from the tube (to a Cypress Hill baseline).

davidw07 replied to BigglesMeister | 5 years ago
2 likes

BigglesMeister wrote:

Dear OP,

I really promised myself that I wouldn't come back to this post, but it's like a car crash (quite literally) and I can't turn away!

I'm sorry, I don't inhabit the somewhat bizarre world that you clearly do. Mine is much simpler - if it looks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, then most probably it is a duck.

I said it was a CO2 cannister because it was a CO2 cannister. How did I know this - because it was written on the side. Not the side in the photo, the other side. No it wasn't branded, but was of the many cheap unbranded types found on e-bay. (by the way, the label doesn't stop your hand freezing, it is the separate foam collar that does this) 

Please note the cannister end is threaded and look at the size (16g). Catering N2O cannisters are smaller (8g) and are not threaded.

'The 'long tube (mouth piece) fitted over the valve' is in fact the valve. An extended valve used in deep rimmed bike wheels . I think you might struggle to use it to blow up a tyre with your mouth.

'Once they were done with it they lobbed the litter out of the car window'  -  look at the photo. That's a neat bit of lobbing to get the cannister to land neatly next to the tube. (No I didn't move it)

I have a better theory than yours  - it was left by little green men from Mars and the cannister was used as a propulsion system for their space craft ,and what look suspiciously like an inner tube is in fact a pod of Martian embryos ready to colonise Earth - glad I put it in my bin.

Heaven forbid anyone can accept this was left by a cyclist!

That really is my last word on the subject ...

hawkinspeter replied to davidw07 | 5 years ago
2 likes

davidw07 wrote:

...it was left by little green men from Mars ...

Now that's just racist.

Kapelmuur | 5 years ago
4 likes

I rode past the site of the Freshfields music festival last summer and was amazed to see the numbers of discarded CO2 canisters on the verges, reflected badly on cyclists I thought.

Later my more streetwise grandchildren explained what they actually were.

hawkinspeter replied to Kapelmuur | 5 years ago
0 likes

Kapelmuur wrote:

I rode past the site of the Freshfields music festival last summer and was amazed to see the numbers of discarded CO2 canisters on the verges, reflected badly on cyclists I thought.

Later my more streetwise grandchildren explained what they actually were.

NO (Nitrous Oxide), not CO2.

hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
3 likes

What Davel said.

pockstone | 5 years ago
3 likes

Oldstrath...those are bike tyres! Have you not been paying attention to the 'fat is the new skinny' debate?

Back in the real world... I had the pleasure of riding over Cragg Vale to Ripponden yesterday and thought of stopping to take a snap of the bags of catering waste at the roadside (with this thread in mind). I'm glad I didn't bother or I would have been stopping every 30 yards.

And I'm pretty sure none of it was delivered by bicycle.

oldstrath | 5 years ago
3 likes

Perhaps all the drivers on here would like to apologise for the mess some driver or other left by Loch Eil. God knows how drivers can expect to be taken seriously when they do this sort of thing?

ClubSmed replied to oldstrath | 5 years ago
1 like

oldstrath wrote:

Perhaps all the drivers on here would like to apologise for the mess some driver or other left by Loch Eil. God knows how drivers can expect to be taken seriously when they do this sort of thing?

The difference here is that this is more likely to be fly tipping as I do not recall ever seeing a motorist change the tyre (wheel maybe, but not just the tyre) at the side of the road.

Drivers do need to be targeted with what litter they leave behind, but the picture you posted is not realisticly the type of litter they leave behind. I believe that litter is a massive problem and needs to be dealt with and the best way to do this is to engage with individual demographics as trying to tackle society as a whole is clearly not effective.

hawkinspeter replied to ClubSmed | 5 years ago
1 like

ClubSmed wrote:

oldstrath wrote:

The difference here is that this is more likely to be fly tipping as I do not recall ever seeing a motorist change the tyre (wheel maybe, but not just the tyre) at the side of the road.

Drivers do need to be targeted with what litter they leave behind, but the picture you posted is not realisticly the type of litter they leave behind. I believe that litter is a massive problem and needs to be dealt with and the best way to do this is to engage with individual demographics as trying to tackle society as a whole is clearly not effective.

I don't think that targetting demographics is going to do much for our litter problem - we need to be targetting the individuals.

There's a quite successful scheme in Bristol to issue on the spot fines to litterers and it's really funny to hear about the smokers complaining that they are being bullied - https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bristols-new-litter-poli...

ClubSmed replied to hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
0 likes
hawkinspeter wrote:

ClubSmed wrote:

oldstrath wrote:

I don't think that targetting demographics is going to do much for our litter problem - we need to be targetting the individuals.

There's a quite successful scheme in Bristol to issue on the spot fines to litterers and it's really funny to hear about the smokers complaining that they are being bullied - https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bristols-new-litter-poli...

That looks like great work! I would argue that this initiative is targeting the demographic of pedestrians, though it is only fining the individuals responsible.
Not saying that I think this is a bad thing, as I have started earlier, I don't think it is possible to target the whole of society at the same time on this subject and be effective.

oldstrath replied to ClubSmed | 5 years ago
1 like

ClubSmed wrote:

oldstrath wrote:

So somebody drops a dead inner tube and all cyclists need to be targetted to stop us being evil litter louts. Somebody else drops a bunch of car tyres and it's fine, it's nothing to do with drivers. Actually it's exactly the kind of litter driving leaves behind. Just because you never see one person do it, doesn't mean it's not a consequence of driving. 

ClubSmed replied to oldstrath | 5 years ago
0 likes

oldstrath wrote:

ClubSmed wrote:

oldstrath wrote:

So somebody drops a dead inner tube and all cyclists need to be targetted to stop us being evil litter louts. Somebody else drops a bunch of car tyres and it's fine, it's nothing to do with drivers. Actually it's exactly the kind of litter driving leaves behind. Just because you never see one person do it, doesn't mean it's not a consequence of driving. 

Never said that it was fine.

I  was simply suggesting that the right demographic need to be targeted with the right messages.

The fly tipping you pictured is most likely a result of the fly-by-night dodgy companies that offer to remove commercial waste for very little money rather than your average driver. Therefor targeting the average driver with this will not reap any benefits.

oldstrath wrote:

So somebody drops a dead inner tube and all cyclists need to be targetted

I don't think that there is a question that the "somebody" was a road cyclist. This thread is on a website for road cyclists, I think that is pretty good targeting rather than a sweeping generalisation to "all cyclists".

davidw07 replied to oldstrath | 5 years ago
1 like

oldstrath wrote:

ClubSmed wrote:

oldstrath wrote:

As the OP,  I need to point out that the original post was targetted at a SINGLE (unknown) cyclist who beleived it was acceptable to leave an inner tube and CO2 cannister by the roadside. Both items being totally undegradable and a hazard to wildlife.

Why on earth has this been distorted into a criticism of 'ALL' cyclists? 

We have got too far away from the the words and intent of the original post.

And ... before you people who enjoy throwing brickbats start, I'm not posting this to further my blog, my ego, my income, or any other fatuous reason you can come up with, My post was because I found the behaviour of a fellow cyclist abhorant AND human nature being what it is, dismayed that I and the cycling community at large risked being judged by the act of an idiot.  

It's a sad thing that so many have either missed or chosen to miss this single simple point. In respect of the former, I apologise for not making it clearer, to the latter all I can say is that you must clearly think that the actions of this person is not worthy of condemnation.

For that reason, as the OP, let's forget the post, we are just going around in ever decreasing circles.

davel replied to davidw07 | 5 years ago
6 likes

davidw07 wrote:

As the OP,  I need to point out that the original post was targetted at a SINGLE (unknown) cyclist who beleived it was acceptable to leave an inner tube and CO2 cannister by the roadside. Both items being totally undegradable and a hazard to wildlife.

Because...

davidw07 wrote:

What chance do we have to convince the non-cycling public that we are reasonable, responsible and public spirited people when one of our number does this !

If there's anything to convince the non-cycling public of, it's that we are no more a homogeneous group represented by your litterer any more than the bloke I saw wazzing out of a car door earlier today is representative of all drivers.

You're picking the wrong argument. 

'We' are not necessarily reasonable, responsible or public spirited merely based on our mode of transport. You're not going to convince anyone that we are. The argument to have is that 'we' are no better or worse than any other section of society, with particular focus on eliminating the negative rather than accentuating the positive, and that 'one of our number' doing anything doesn't mean a thing. It seems like you might need to start by having it with yourself.

FluffyKittenofT... replied to davidw07 | 5 years ago
3 likes

davidw07 wrote:

oldstrath wrote:

ClubSmed wrote:

oldstrath wrote:

And ... before you people who enjoy throwing brickbats start, I'm not posting this to further my blog, my ego, my income, or any other fatuous reason you can come up with, My post was because I found the behaviour of a fellow cyclist abhorant AND human nature being what it is, dismayed that I and the cycling community at large risked being judged by the act of an idiot.  

It's a sad thing that so many have either missed or chosen to miss this single simple point. In respect of the former, I apologise for not making it clearer, to the latter all I can say is that you must clearly think that the actions of this person is not worthy of condemnation.

For that reason, as the OP, let's forget the post, we are just going around in ever decreasing circles.

But that could be avoided if you'd just think about what it is people are objecting to in your post.

If you are "dismayed that I and the cycling community at large risked being judged by the act of an idiot" then you should be taking it up with those who are likely to be doing the irrational judging, and objecting to their irrationality, not lecturing cyclists who have nothing to do with it.  What do you expect the audience here to do about it?  We aren't the ones making irrational judgements.

Personally I don't have any particular problem with you linking to your blog, by the way.  It's just the actual content of the post that's the issue.

Griff500 replied to davidw07 | 5 years ago
3 likes

davidw07 wrote:

Wow, you've received a lot of flack here!  I for one can understand where you were going with it, and I do think you've been picked up wrong. For me ClubSmed's post from a couple of days ago about dogs was a good analogy. The fact is, one piece of dog dirt on the street does reflect badly on dog owners in general. Yes its wrong that such generalisatiosn are made, but that is human nature. Those suggesting that we somehow try to educate people making generalised statements about an amorphous "group"? Well, I wish them luck with that! I'm happy to see anybody called out for littering, whether it's a bike tube, a coke can thrown from a car window, or dog dirt. (And don't get me started on horses on cycle ways!)

alansmurphy | 5 years ago
6 likes

"You can only take my word that they were totally genuine and happened within 48 hours of each other - I thought they linked together to highlight issues that affect all us cyclists. "

I'm not sure how this affects me. I will ride my bike tonight and not drop litter, I don't expect to be treated differently if someone else has, regardless of their mode of transport. If I meet a rude person, again I will take that at face value, regardless of whether I'm on my bike.

My main issues with cycling are that some people choose to put me in danger and somehow think this is justified (backed by law) based on my mode of travel and what I wear...

DaSy | 5 years ago
2 likes

For me, I don't much care about convincing the general public that I am a reasonable, responsible and public spirited member of society.

I have a set of morals and standards that I believe are okay and bear close-ish scrutiny, but I have no intention of trying to show the world how great they are.

I ride a bike because I really do love bikes (a bit too much for my missus liking), but I don't feel I need to act as an ambassador for all of cycling. I just ride, enjoy the ride  and don't stare too intently into the bushes, this is the mantra I live by.

ClubSmed | 5 years ago
4 likes

Well this thread certainly proved that there is no such thing as a cycling community!
A fellow cyclist came onto this forum and made a couple of posts  linking to his blog (blatent blog self promotion) of posts about cycling related issues.
What proceded was a tirade of abuse about cyclists not being one single community (clearly) and rants about our behaviour not warrenting close passes which was never even mentioned by the original poster and some vary unconstructive comments about himself and his blog!
I for one am disapointed in my fellow human, that instead of being supportive and suggesting a few tweeks (less obvious blog promotion, no larger community etc) they decide to rip apart the cyclist/forum poster on their new adventure in blogging.

Good luck Dave, I for one enjoyed your posts (though if posting on here in future I would post a better/fuller synopsis with a "full details here" link)

srchar replied to ClubSmed | 5 years ago
4 likes

ClubSmed wrote:

...instead of being supportive and suggesting a few tweeks (less obvious blog promotion, no larger community etc) they decide to rip apart the cyclist/forum poster on their new adventure in blogging.

It was obvious this would happen. Self-promotion of your own blog positively invites it and you'd have to be rather naive to think that everyone would just give you a nice pat on the back.

You'll find that threads and articles detailing genuinely adventurous exploits of our fellow cyclists get tons of incredibly positive responses, even from road.cc's resident winding-up community.

davidw07 replied to ClubSmed | 5 years ago
1 like

ClubSmed wrote:

Well this thread certainly proved that there is no such thing as a cycling community!
A fellow cyclist came onto this forum and made a couple of posts  linking to his blog (blatent blog self promotion) of posts about cycling related issues.
What proceded was a tirade of abuse about cyclists not being one single community (clearly) and rants about our behaviour not warrenting close passes which was never even mentioned by the original poster and some vary unconstructive comments about himself and his blog!
I for one am disapointed in my fellow human, that instead of being supportive and suggesting a few tweeks (less obvious blog promotion, no larger community etc) they decide to rip apart the cyclist/forum poster on their new adventure in blogging.

Good luck Dave, I for one enjoyed your posts (though if posting on here in future I would post a better/fuller synopsis with a "full details here" link)

I'm very grateful for these comments.

The intended structure of the blog, meant I needed to open out the general cycling  section to a wider audience. As I said I have a great respect for road cc and the few times I've previoulsy used the forum on technical issues, I've had helpful replies. 

I've been accused of USING the forum for self-gain, the implication perhaps being that I fabricated or exaggerated the content of the posts. You can only take my word that they were totally genuine and happened within 48 hours of each other - I thought they linked together to highlight issues that affect all us cyclists. 

I created the blog primarily to help and give advice to those those taking part in this year's Ride Across Britain, it also provided a vehicle to maybe revive a somewhat flagging or totally expired dream of writing. It provides no income, quite the opposite. I just like writing and cycling.

You and others are right, it has proven that I was naive - it backfired effectively.

I'm grateful for your advice, I'm grateful for any constructive advice or criticism from anybody of this forum. 

What I can't accept is rudeness, or those who deliberately choose not to understand the points I'm trying to make in the blogs.

Deep breath ...

brooksby replied to ClubSmed | 5 years ago
4 likes

ClubSmed wrote:

What proceded was a tirade of abuse about cyclists not being one single community (clearly) and rants about our behaviour not warrenting close passes which was never even mentioned by the original poster ...

Erm - "There does, in my opinion, need to be honest recognition of where cyclists let themselves and society down. Until this happens we will continue to be considered as pig-headed pariahs by lots of people. It is somethhing that is worthy of sensible, intelligent debate."

srchar | 5 years ago
6 likes

This is actually a discarded N2O bottle and a makeshift ligature. Really makes my blood boil that the actions of a few selfish idiots make the entire laughing-gas-asphyxi-wanking community look like litterbugs.

hawkinspeter replied to srchar | 5 years ago
5 likes

srchar wrote:

This is actually a discarded N2O bottle and a makeshift ligature. Really makes my blood boil that the actions of a few selfish idiots make the entire laughing-gas-asphyxi-wanking community look like litterbugs.

I'll not have you bring down the laughing-gas-asphyxi-wanking community like that. There's no balloons, so it couldn't have been us them.

Pages

Latest Comments