Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Witness describes horrifying cycle path crash (Bristol Post)

(Apparently wearing a helmet can protect you from cutting arteries in your leg ​)

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/witness-describes-horrifying-cycle-path-1545919

An eyewitness has said he feared a woman would die after a horrifying crash on the Bristol to Bath cycle path which left a woman bleeding heavily from a severed artery.

The crash happened on Sunday, May 6 while the path was packed with cyclists enjoying the bank holiday sunshine.

Slawek Jakobowski, 38, from Barton Hill, was cycling on the Clay Bottom section of the path in Clay Hill shortly after 3pm. He said he was about 100 metres behind a woman in her early 20s when she came off her bicycle.

“I didn’t see how it happened. Suddenly I saw people stopping and I saw the lady on the ground,” Mr Jakobowski recalled.

“There was a lot of traffic because of the beautiful weather, hundreds of people on bicycles. I thought at first she had hit someone but she fell off. Someone asked her how it happened but I think she was in shock, she just said ‘I don’t know’.”

Mr Jakobowski stopped to see if he could help, the woman was obviously seriously hurt.
“She wasn’t wearing a helmet,” he explained.

“Her head was cut very very badly on the left side, there was a lot of blood. She was screaming, ‘oh I’m bleeding’. We thought it was just her head at first.

“She had both hands on her leg – it was red, I thought from her head, but when she took her hands away the blood was gushing like a fountain.

“I was in shock, I didn’t expect that. I saw it was from an artery – I was afraid she might die.”
By this point five people including Mr Jakobowski had stopped to help, fortunately one of them was had medical training.

“One of the guys was a medic, he said he worked in a hospital.

“She was really scared because she knew she was bleeding very much – he calmed her down, saying, ‘don’t worry, I’ll help you’.

Several onlookers were in shock at the extent of the woman’s injuries but the man with medical training took control of the situation, trying to stop the bleeding while an ambulance was called.
South Western Ambulance Service said it received a call at 3.13pm to a patient with a head and leg injury.

“We attended with one ambulance and the patient was taken to Southmead Hospital for treatment.” a spokesman said.

Mr Jakobowski said he shared the story as a reminder to exercise caution on the Bristol and Bath cycle path.

“Ride carefully and watch out for other people. Look out for each other and go slowly,” he said.

“And please, wear a helmet.”

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

zero_trooper | 5 years ago
2 likes

'An eyewitness has said...'

' "I didn't see how it happened" '

'nuff said.

Yorkshire wallet | 5 years ago
6 likes

Helmet related thread...

//media.giphy.com/media/1pw5Hn77ylYxW/giphy.gif)

I'm saying......150 posts.

brooksby replied to Yorkshire wallet | 5 years ago
0 likes

Yorkshire wallet wrote:

Helmet related thread...

//media.giphy.com/media/1pw5Hn77ylYxW/giphy.gif)

I'm saying......150 posts.

I don't know - it seems pretty straightforward on whether or not a helmet would stop you slicing open an artery in your leg...

Hirsute | 5 years ago
2 likes

Caution about what? Did the path have the type of barriers as per http://road.cc/content/news/241261-safety-fears-raised-over-cycle-path-v... ?

Did she have a phone in her back pocket ?

brooksby | 5 years ago
3 likes

<sarcasm=on> The cyclist came off her bike and cut an artery in her leg...  Hmm: I blame disc brake rotors. <sarcasm=off>

don simon fbpe | 5 years ago
4 likes

Quote:

Mr Jakobowski said he shared the story as a reminder to exercise caution on the Bristol and Bath cycle path.

I'm going to need some help in identifying what steps I need to take for me to satisfy the exercising caution, especially as we know not the cause.

Clearly not riding into barbed wire fences (and wearing a helmet) will help prevent cuts to the leg, but if she was taken out by a sharp shooter then I'm not too sure how to exercise caution here...

It's all too complicated for me.

As a footnote, I never have and don't expect to ride on the Bristol and Bath cycle path. Do you think I'll be OK?

davel | 5 years ago
5 likes

Yeah, it's always those little furry bastards

brooksby replied to davel | 5 years ago
2 likes

davel wrote:

...with their long tails and their stupid twitchy noses! yes

Butty replied to brooksby | 5 years ago
1 like

brooksby wrote:

davel wrote:

...with their long tails and their stupid twitchy noses! yes

And carrying flick knives for slashing at leg arteries

davel | 5 years ago
6 likes

I'm skeptical.

I'd need to check the correlation between helmet-wearing and severed arteries in the legs.

Anyone got any graphs?

hawkinspeter replied to davel | 5 years ago
10 likes

davel wrote:

I'm skeptical. I'd need to check the correlation between helmet-wearing and severed arteries in the legs. Anyone got any graphs?

As it happens, I have already done the research for this, so I can present the following definitive correlation:

StraelGuy | 5 years ago
4 likes

I regularly crash my bike and suffer badly severed arteries as a consequence. I never knew wearing a helmet could prevent this from happening, thank you. I'm popping out to buy myself a helmet now, think of all the inconvenience and ambulance call-outs this will save!

(Kidding! Get well soon and best wishes to the lady involved, I hope you're back on your bike soon!)

Latest Comments